Camera in Port

ca2ga2000

First off - you all of been SO helpful in the planning of our first cruise...I'm sure this question has been brought up before, but hopefully I can get some specific advice:

* DH and I have plans to snorkel in all ports (Princess Cays, MoBay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel). We have our own snorkeling gear, with carrying bags.

1. We are taking our good Canon PowerShot G5 digital camera with us, but plan to only use that while on the ship, and leave it in our safe during port days.

2. We have a few underwater disposable cameras to take for the snorkeling excursions.

3. Our dilemma is this: we would like to have something to take some "real" pictures in port - something besides the underwater disposable cameras. We have a good Minolta 35mm that is compact and would work great. HOWEVER, what would we do with this while we are both out snorkeling?

We have booked all of our snorkel excursions through the cruise line (Princess)...am I right to assume that we will be on some sort of boat with other Princess cruisers, and that our 35mm camera with our snorkeling bag, and our towels would be safe while we are in the water?

We have water wallets for our money, etc...but what do others do with the rest of their "stuff"?

I don't think it's totally feasible to snorkel, then return our snorkel gear to the ship and pick up a daypack and camera...especially in the ports where you have to tender. Or, maybe it is feasible?

Just looking for some suggestions from you experienced cruisers and snorkelers!

THANKS A MILLION!

ca2ga2000,

DW and I have had the same dilemma. We have located beaches that have locker rentals. If you have time, you may also want to look at the following options.

Otter Box - Can attach to swim suit and snorkle with it.

Camera Waterproofer Case (digital) - can hold digital camera or large 35mm

Camera Waterproofer Case (compact) - can hold small cameras

Hope this helps!

You can get a waterproof hard case for all the stuff you want to keep dry. Pelican makes very good dry cases. Put your stuff in the case and leave it on the boat while you snorkel, if you are going on a ship's excursion.

We have booked all of our snorkel excursions through the cruise line (Princess)...am I right to assume that we will be on some sort of boat with other Princess cruisers, and that our 35mm camera with our snorkeling bag, and our towels would be safe while we are in the water?

I wouldn't be too worried about the security of your camera being left on the boat while you're in the water. I would however, be concerned about the camera getting wet. I use a rather low-tech solution for this problem, I simply put my camera into a Zip-Lock bag and then wrap the bag in a towel inside my dive-bag. This way my camera is protected against any splashing, and also from being bumped if my dive-bag is moved by anybody while I'm in the water.fing02.gif

I also use the zip lock method. I bring my camera in the camera bag and put that in the ziplock. Then I wrap my towel round it. I find a corner in the front of the boat or top deck and leave it there. Since most boats you exit out of the back that is where most of the water is, from people coming and going.

When we are dropped off on shore I have my camera ready to start taking pics of the aera.

I agree with Captbill. If security is your main concern, I personally wouldn't worry too much while in the water, particularly if you are on a ship sponsored shore excursion. Of course covering your camera with a towel or putting it out of sight in a bag is always a good idea, but chances are the young folks running the excursion have better cameras than you do. (Also those are prime jobs. No one is going to risk their job by messing with any passenger's belongings.) Maybe I'm naive, but we have never had anything stolen. We do use the ship safe for cash & jewelry, but it would be way too inconvenient to use if for the camera. We do put it out of sight of course, in a drawer or bag, but have never had trouble. Also, why aren't you using your digital on shore? Half the fun of a digital is to have the entire cruise to play with on the computer! ;)

Thanks for all the input and suggestions!

cruznliz- I guess we weren't planning to take the digital on shore because we were worried about it while we were out playing in the water. But, I guess the only time we'd be "away" from it would be while we were on ship-sponsored snorkeling trips.

I guess I just got paranoid after reading other posts about things being stolen off beaches, etc. I was afraid if something wasn't attached to my body, it might be at risk.

Thanks again to everyone!

Hi, ca2ga2000---we've snorkeled in Grand Cayman on Rhapsody of the Sea's stingray city and snorkel tour and had plenty of time to tender back to the ship, shower, tender back to Georgetown, visit a bakery, shop, etc. On Cozumel you don't tender so you can go back on board, shower, get your stuff, shop or whatever.

Once I've snorkeled, I feel tired, salty, etc., and a quick shower helps a lot! Some of the beaches on Cozumel have showers, so you don't have to go back to the ship.

See you on the CP 7/10 by the aft pool!

mpk-

Thanks....we've already looked and they don't. :( Actually, when we bought the camera a few months ago, we mistakenly thought they did, and that was our plan all along. Only later did we find out that they made no such housing for the G series.... you can get one of those ones that look like heavy duty ziploc bags, but we just don't feel comfortable with that.

Thanks again all!

Archived