Cropped pants - after all my harping....who'd a thunk?

I have been a staunch critic of cropped pants (the short ones - not capri pants that hit near the ankle - I've always loved those). I have always found them to be horribly unflattering on those of us that are NOT stick thin. But the manufacturers have flooded the stores with them, and I had to admit that for a cruise, they were a nice look. Well, I have lost quite a bit of weight, and even though I still have about 10 pounds or so to go to reach my goal, I have been able to get back into most of my "skinny" clothes. So the other day I was in Sears - and noticed some cute cropped pants - (the coral pink color was what attracted me!) that were 1/2 off. So, on a lark, I tried them on. Ummm....I hate to say it, but they really did look terrific. And they were the short mid-calf length. I NEVER thought I'd be wearing a pair of those, but I am happy to say that I have 3 pair now, and I just love them. Now, granted, I lost a couple of inches off my calves - I have always had very strong (that's putting it nicely :-)) calves. So now that they have less width, I think I can carry off the shorter length nicely. But the key here is that they FIT my shape so well (I have a FLAT bum!!) that I just wanted to tell you gals that like these type of pants to get yourself to SEARS and give them a try. For 13.99, it's hard to go wrong!!

Just to clear up any confusion regarding terminology; Capris hit mid-calf, cropped just above the ankle.

For me this isn't necessarily true. Though I'm thin and proportionate, I'm only 5'2" and the capris for some reason are fine, but the cropped are always like regular pants. I just ordered some cute white jeans that were supposed to be "cropped" and they fit like regular jeans. Who knew?

Happy Sailing!

Romy

Hi Mom, I think its great to have an open mind about things:) and congrats on your weight loss too!

Oh, I agree with Romy about the 2 lengths though.....I have always been told and have read that the cropped are the longer ones....lets say 25 inch inseam, where the capris are the shorter.....21-23 inch inseam... and of course depending on the person's height where they will actually land.

Romy I am about 5-3,1/2 LOL have to put in that 1/2 inch;) I prefer the cropped.

Depends on the style, fit and make too:) .

:) Romy, thank you!....the pictures are all below on webshots....I have to figure out which formal outfits to bring with me on my next cruise...77 days away now:D

I have the opposite problem as most of you do... I am 5'7" with really long legs/short torso, so capris hit right at the bottom of my knee cap while the cropped pants hit mid calf where capris are supposed to hit. I have trouble finding jeans/slacks long enough.

Natalie

All my life the term "capri" has been used to refer to short pants that hit just above the ankle. Mid-calf length is "clam-diggers" and just below the knee is "pedal pushers". I still subscribe to that terminlogy, though it seems today that stores do not differentiate and call them all capri's, or cropped pants. Everyone has their own preference, so I guess I would do best to just describe the length, rather than to use a term! In any event - I definitely surprised myself by liking them.

Hi ISZU and LOIS!

Oh, I am SOOO trying to get used to these new boards, girls!

Natalie - I have the same problem as you. I am 5'9" and geez louise, if those slacks don't hit me just below the kneecap. Makes me look real funny! :eek:

Hey Gymbrat, look on the bright side, (I'm 5'2" too) I just ordered some white cropped jeans, when they came and I tried them on and they fit like normal jeans. What a concept, we never have to get our pants hemmed!:D

I think I actually prefer the normal length to the cropped. Luckily, the capris fit me fine, hit me mid calf. Who knew?

Happy Sailing!!!

Romy

Well I am 5'7", so even normal length pants are sometimes too short on me. Mid-calf pants always looked goofy and unflattering on my legs. I think the difference here (besides that fact that my legs are simply thinner now!) is that these Sears versions are very close-fitting - there is no extra fabric around my leg and calf. The ones that are loose-fitting I still find to be very unattractive and will not wear.

Archived