Garment bag virgin

On my upcoming cruise I will be bringing 2 formal dresses. This is the first cruise that I've been on that had 2 formal nights and also the first that I am bringing full length dresses. I'm not a packing queen (in fact I'd probably fall into the category of "packing-impaired"), but I've seen lots of great tips on these boards. I've never owned a garment bag in my life and I'm wondering if this is the best way to transport the dresses. My husband won't be accompanying me on this cruise, so I don't have any big suits to worry about. My 12 year old son will be going, but his clothes are not big and don't take up much room.

Here is a link to pictures of my dresses. Look in the "Miscellaneous" album. http://community.webshots.com/user/mcfaddensfarm

The darker one is a rayon blend and the sparkly one is (forgive me) polyester. Neither one is heavy and they don't have any "fluffy" stuff underneath. (Can you tell that I'm also fashion impaired?) Anyway, I've never had to pack dresses like this before so I'm a little unsure. What would you suggest?

Hi:)...I never carry a garment bag with me...but that is just me.

Your dresses are lovely:D and they look easy to pack. My suggestion is to get some drycleaner bags and put them inside the bag. And put them in at the very end of your packing. It looks like you can fold the bottom almost in 1/2. The drycleaner bags have always prevented wrinkling for me too. In other words, both dresses would be on the very top of the luggage (the last items packed).

Then when you get to the cabin, you can pull them out first!

I hope this helps...it is only one person's suggestion;) I am sure some of the other gals will help as well.

MCFadden,

I used to use a garment bag for travel, but no longer do. Too heavy. I now use a large suitcase with wheels.

I pack all the folding stuff first (tee's, etc) and then pack the hanging stuff last, on top.

I just came back from a cruise and had to pack two gowns, plus an assortment of silk and linen items that easily wrinkle. The key is to pack them separatetly on hangers and then place a plastic drycleaning bag around each hanger. Tie a knot at the bottom of the bag (this creates a little air bubble around the clothes) and then fold items in half (or thirds, in the case of a gown) and place at the top of the suitcase.

I've never had to iron anything using this method...and I'm pretty fussy about not wearing wrinkled stuff.

Jane

Hi, McFadden,

Both of your gowns are very appropriate. You have been given excellent advice by the cc board. In the past, I used the garment bags also. However, now I just use my large case with the wheels.

My daughter gave me a light-weight, slim, long black velvet skirt and matching jacket. I just take 2 different, lightweight, sequined or sparkly tops. Different jewelry and accessories make different looks. ;)

What I do not understand about your Great Gowns is that they appear to be the exact same colour and the styles are Very similar. I guess you really like Navy Blue, and accessorizing should be easy. :confused:

I would take only the sparkly one and get a different colour for the 2nd, but that is JMHO. Whatever you wear, you will look just fabulous and have a fantastic cruise. :D

Thanks for the great advice! I really wasn't looking forward to lugging a heavy garment bag around. The only time I've worn gown type of dresses before are as a participant in a wedding party or, well....a formal dance back in high school! And that was a "Gunny Sax" (sp?) dress, covered in lace! Remember those? Princess, I guess I'm just showing my fashion impairment.:D I never intended to get both dresses so close in color. It just kind of happened that way. Back in high school, I was told by my cosmetology teacher that I looked great in that color. I guess it's just my "safe" color that I migrate to.:rolleyes: I bought the sparkly dress at a store after prom season and it was marked down to $30.00 and it was on the 1/2 price sale rack. I figure, can't beat it for 15 bucks! Then a girl at work brought some dresses in because she didn't fit in them anymore and was wanting to sell them for just $20 apiece. To be honest, the blue one is the only one that really fit me well. So that's how I ended up with two blue dresses. But like you said, it will be easy to accessorize, right? Oh gosh, that's a whole other story...I still haven't bought shoes!! Any appropriate suggestions?

Hi there ~ :cool: I use tissue and place my evening dresses on the top of everything else. The one trick that always seems to work ;) is I hang my dresses on the bathroom door. When we shower, the steam takes any wrinkles out! ;)

I guess I'll be different here and vote for the garment bag--but one on wheels that you don't have to lug. I pack everything in mine because it has a lot of pockets and room all over. I've even tucked in cosmetic bags, blow dryer and lots of shoes. It's so easy to just remove most of your clothing and hang it up as it's already on hangers. The center liner/cover piece that zips it all shut before you fold and close the bag also has lots of pockets and the whole piece zips out and hangs very nicely in the closet so you don't have to unpack those pockets at all. I ususally use them for socks, undies, sleepwear, scarves, nylons, etc., although I don't use it this way on a cruise as it's easier to unpack everything. It would be great used this way for a shorter cruise. It's very handy for visiting in someone's home as there is often limited drawer space in that type of situation.

On a cruise we usually store it lying flat/open under the bed and after several days we hang some of the outfits we have already worn back in the bag, adding every several days so we don't have so much to take care of on the last day. If we are on a longer cruise, my husband and I each take a rolling garment bag (cross packing of course in case one should be lost) and we usually have one packed full half-way through the cruise. That gives us more time to have fun on the dreaded last day and night!

For our transatlantic cruise with 3 formal nights and 4 informal nights, we ended up buying a Travelpro rolling garment bag. When open it is about seven inches deep. It holds all the formal wear for hubby and myself as well as his suit, sports jacket, my dresses and pants suits. You acutally pack it by hanging from both ends. It has plenty of pockets for packing regular items and is about the size of 26" suitcase. If I could only bring one piece of luggage, that would be the one I would use. I also put all my hanging garments in cleaner bags. My dry cleaner gives me a bunch of short and long bags when I tell her I am going on a cruise.

I'm also voting for a garment bag, only because they are the easiest way for me to keep everything neat and organized. Make sure if you get one that it is one that is full length and one that is intended for travel (not one of those cheap vinyl bags you can get at the local Wal Mart). I have a good one that has wheels, folds in half (so it's not really long when I try to carry it b'c i'm short and can't deal with long bags). I got mine as a gift when I was doing pageants and now use it to haul my custom made horse show clothing around. It has lasted me at least 6 years and is still like new. It has compartments inside for smaller items (like pantyhose or jewelry) and even has a compartment where I can stick my shoes. I love it and wouldn't trade it for the world. Also, with a garment bag that is intended for travelling, you can check it with your normal airline luggage and not be worried about it ripping open or falling apart in transit.

Whatever you do, don't stress about packing and have fun!!!

My mom and I have been looking for a garment bag on wheels for our upcomming cruises but we haven't been able to find one. Has anyone found one that is affordable? And where did you get it? We haven't had any luck. Thanks for your help!:)

If you have a Ross or TJ Maxx where you live try them. We got a Delsey rolling garment bag for $49.00 that had a suggested retail price of $325. This was several years ago and it has served us well. Sometimes you can find them at Tuesday Morning and almost all department stores have their luggage marked down all the time...tho usually not as much as the discount stores

Another thing I do when I pack my dresses on a hanger is to put a plastic dry cleaner bag on the empty hanger then hang my dress with another bag over it. This seems to work even better than just the single bag on top. I have also packed 2 dresses on a hanger this way with excellent results.

Hartmann Garment Bags on Ebay. I bought one 2 years ago, would not be without it NOW. On wheels, holds 3 suits (tuxedo, dinner jacket, and suit) and 4 long gowns and a bunch of other stuff. It is my lifesaver. I paid $149.00, used. The large (12" deep) garment bags are at least $1000.00 New (Tumi and Hartmann).

We use garment bags for dresses, suits, dress shirts. It keeps everything nice on hangers and you can pack alot of other things in it as well. This leaves more room in my suitcase for everyday wear etc. Ours also folds in half and is just like having another piece of luggage. You can get a cheaper one that zips and folds in half ( & has compartments) at Target or K-Mart for about $30 but I don't think its on wheels. Hope this helps.

Archived