Norwegian Sun...help, please

Beach4me

I am considering a voyage on the Norwegian Sun. I'm looking at the suites and they are, well, odd! If you've sailed the Sun in a suite, please share your thoughts, which one you'd book the next time (and why), which one you'd avoid at all costs, etc.

Also, for recent Sun cruisers, what was your opinion of the ship? It looks like a wonderful ship with a lot to offer.

It has been several years since I've been a 'regular' on NCL but I'm wanting to give it another try. (Tried to make my way back towards NCL a few years ago but definitely chose the wrong ship/voyage...took the first one on the Majesty out of Charleston...that was one for the books.)

Any - and all - input will be greatly appreciated!

I just finished booking a suite on the SUN after a lot of consideration. We were going back and forth between an AC and an AD. The AC is a two room suite at the back of the ship and the AD is just one large room at the front of the ship. Since we have had the aft on numerous occasions on other ships, we thought we would try the front for a change. We took cabin 9002 which has a large balcony. The cabin itself looks like it is irregularly shaped so it will be interesting to see what it looks like.

I realize that the balcony use may be limited due to the wind and we will have to keep our drapes shut at night but we still decided to go this route. I hope we won't be disappointed.

I would love to book an AC next - I have been in an AD on the Sun in Alaska and loved it. Massive Balcony, great bathroom and dressing area. There are some pictures in the links in my signature.

The Sun is a solid freestyle ship, with a very good crew, and well layed out except the congestion in the buffet. The Great Outdoors is a great alternative to the inside buffet area.

Some more detailed pictures of AD and AB on the following link - click on Alaska cruise

http://www.casshew.com/

1470260784_SunR1adtable.jpg.08a4a31326d09edd1ec7fd92084cfb93.jpg

OMGosh this was an incredible suite.

If you go to my website in my signature, you'll see photos of the suite and there's a short movie showing our Panama Canal cruise that we did in April/May. This also includes shots of the suite and LARGE verandah.

Enjoy! The Sun is a great ship!!!!!!!!!

Mary :) :)

We absolutely LOVE the AC penthouse - the aft of the ship. LOVELY 2 room suite with full size bath - separate shower, large balcony. This category is located on decks 8, 9, and 10. You may experience some chair noise on deck 10 from the above Outdoor Cafe, but that's the only negative. Good luck....

Just returned from the NCL-Sun 7/8-7/15. We had a Mini suite 0267. It is on the stern of the ship. Great spot, big room with a large deck. Also had a good size bathroom (bath tub with shower, plus separate toilet room). The cabin also has a dressing area, large closet and lots of storage. That being said, the Sun is showing some signs of normal wear and is due for "dry dock" in January 07, with will make it "like new". Unfortunately, because of glacier ice flow in Tracy arm, we could not go all the way in to see Sawyer Glacier:cool: . Therefore I would recommend the NCL Star, because it has just got out of dry dock 5-06 and is "like new". But more important, the Star goes to Glacier Bay and I understand it is able to go all the way into Glacier Bay, so you can see the glacier up close. Hope this helps. Sea-FAB

Just returned from the NCL-Sun 7/8-7/15. We had a Mini suite 0267. It is on the stern of the ship. Great spot, big room with a large deck. Also had a good size bathroom (bath tub with shower, plus separate toilet room). The cabin also has a dressing area, large closet and lots of storage. That being said, the Sun is showing some signs of normal wear and is due for "dry dock" in January 07, with will make it "like new". Unfortunately, because of glacier ice flow in Tracy arm, we could not go all the way in to see Sawyer Glacier:cool: . Therefore I would recommend the NCL Star, because it has just got out of dry dock 5-06 and is "like new". But more important, the Star goes to Glacier Bay and I understand it is able to go all the way into Glacier Bay, so you can see the glacier up close. Hope this helps. Sea-FAB

Or if you take the Sun make sure you book the Tray Arm Excursion that many have posted as a must do if you want to see the Glacier really up-close.

1911449361_Sun82004143.jpg.539afe4564c544f29a4901bf606c5f6c.jpg

My DH and I had an AC Suite 9076 the first week in April of this year. The suite was AWESOME. I wish every NCL ship had that same AC AFT cabin. We will be on the Star next year it is a very nice ship but it does not have that AC Suite in the Aft of the Ship. The Aft of the ship is great u can leave your balcony door open at nite while the boat is moving without a windsorm in your room. It is sooo kool listening to the ocean at nite while the boat is moving.

It is a wonderful ship. u will love it. And i cannot recomend enough the AC Suite

minimom:) :) :)

We just got back from our Alaska cruise on the Sun ( 7/8-7/15 ). We were in AD 9002 and thought it was just right for our family of 4. It is absolutely the quietest cabin I have ever had on a cruise. No engine noise, no noise overhead ( it's the bridge ), and nothing from our neighbors. As for the wind; most of the time the wind does not come straight on, so you can stand near the divider at the side of the balcony and it is not that bad. I would gladly trade the wind for the amazing views you get from the bow.

Also to echo the post above, take the Tracy Arm Excursion. It was the highlight of our week.

Just returned from the NCL-Sun 7/8-7/15. We had a Mini suite 0267. It is on the stern of the ship. Great spot, big room with a large deck. Also had a good size bathroom (bath tub with shower, plus separate toilet room). The cabin also has a dressing area, large closet and lots of storage. That being said, the Sun is showing some signs of normal wear and is due for "dry dock" in January 07, with will make it "like new".

Where do I find the detail about the Sun's dry dock schedule? We are booked on their short 5-night cruise that leaves New Orleans on 01/23/2007, and I'm curious if we might have a problem with that booking.

Thanks for all the great info. I'm going to go out and look at everyone's pics right now. But, wanted to ask those who have had an aft suite, did you get a lot of vibration? I always worry about that on aft cabins.

I have tossed around the idea of the bow suites but am worried about the wind.

Thanks again!!!!

Where do I find the detail about the Sun's dry dock schedule?
Her last sailing before the dry dock is a 7-night cruise sailing on 31 December. There is then a hole in her schedule before the 23 January 5-night special cruise. This is when we all believe the dry dock will take place - it's about the right length of time. The 5-night special cruise allows the ship to resume her regular schedule on 28 January, and it'll also be useful as a first shakedown cruise.

Unfortunately, if there is any sort of problem with the dry dock, your cruise will be most at risk.

I stayed in cabin 8002 (bow of ship) and lived out on the balcony. It was considerably larger than other suites. I never found a problem with the wind. While not enjoying the balcony, I was enjoying the awesome walk-in closet/master bath. I remember the suite shaped like a square and the closet/bath was off the entry hallway. I was never asked to close my curtains at night...think it is different on the ninth deck though.

Coka

I was in a back balcony in December on the Sun and the vibration if any was minimal. Would deffinately recommend an aft cabin. The ship was pretty. I'm not sure it would be my favorite unless I had a balcony as there is very little open (not having glass around it) deck space that my hubby and I love. With the balcony it was no problem. The cabins were smaller than other lines I have been on but the were the cleanest i have ever had. The crew was outstanding. I really really liked the freestyle cruising. Debbie

We stayed in 1015 and thought that it was wonderful. Next to the gym, however, not noisey at all.

I'm looking at the 1015 - 1003 range that are shaped like the 1015 you stayed in, TamBethh. Can you please describe the suite for me? You know...walk in, (hopefully) nice size bathroom to the right...narrower area is...beds pushed together, third person sleeps on ????, size of balcony and what chairs are on it...comfortable? Good for 3 adults...that kind of info, please. I just keep looking at the 1015 shaped rooms and wondering what the heck they are actually like. (If you have pics, I would GREATLY appreciate seeing them...I give you my email addy if you'd prefer.)

Thanks to everyone for their input. I believe I'm going to book the Sun tomorrow - for Hawaii, 2008! (I'm doing Hawaii on Princess in Jan, 2007, Alaska on Carnival in July, 2007...I might as well go ahead and book 2008!)

We just got back from our Alaska cruise on the Sun ( 7/8-7/15 ). We were in AD 9002 and thought it was just right for our family of 4. It is absolutely the quietest cabin I have ever had on a cruise. No engine noise, no noise overhead ( it's the bridge ), and nothing from our neighbors. As for the wind; most of the time the wind does not come straight on, so you can stand near the divider at the side of the balcony and it is not that bad. I would gladly trade the wind for the amazing views you get from the bow.

mj5739 - I just booked this suite today. Hope you don't mind answering a few questions for me...

Did you have to close your curtains at night? I've seen a couple mentions of having to close curtains in these cabins because of something to do with the bridge (?).

How many deck chairs did you have on the balcony?

Was there a dining table in the suite?

How big was the tub? Big enough to relax in?

Is there anything you wish you would have taken specifically related to this suite?

How much of the balcony is covered? Exposed?

Do you have any pics you can share?

If you want, I can give you my email addy so you can send comments/pics off list.

THANKS!!!!!!

(btw - I've booked this suite for the 10-night Hawaii run in 2008)

I have booked the same suite for the Caribbean on 12/10.

Oppgaard, will you P-L-E-A-S-E take lots of pics of the suite and balcony and share them when you get back? Also, I'll be very interested in your opinion of the balcony (wind, size, comfort of chairs, view, etc).

I just want ALL the details. ;)

Also, I have never cruised in a penthouse on NCL. I'll be interested in what perks come with it (do they deliver treats or something to you daily? do you get priority tender times?) and other details that I don't know about NCL penthouses that I need to know.

Have a FABULOUS trip...and be sure to report everything when you get back!

Archived