Food Quality on Regent compared to Celebrity??

spuds

Just finished our 2nd Celebrity cruise and I have to say we were less than impressed with the food quality on board (both times)... it was really hit and miss for dinners and the buffets were not appealing at all. Both cruises we did with Celebrity were in Europe (Med and Baltic) so I am not sure if that makes a difference. However, I have to say we did love the Sushi bar and enjoyed our dinner quality at the Speciality Restaurant.

We are thinking of planning a cruise for next year (Greek Isles) and are considering Regent.... can anyone that has sailed both be able to let me know if we should expect better? The reason I ask is a lot of people on board thought the food quality was very good on Celebrity.... maybe our expectaions are just really high? I do not mind paying the extra if we get quality service/food.

Thanks for your thoughts,

I have cruises a number of times on both lines and have a number of clients in a similar position. Pretty much without exception, the opinion is that Regent's overall food quality is substantially better than Celebrity.

You have, however, mentioned two of Celebrity's strongest points. Sushi - nightly no less - is not an option on Regent. Also, I consistently state that the Celebrity Specialty Restaurant (Olympic/SS United States, etc.) is as good as it gets or better than Regent both in quality and service. However, you will have more variety (and not necessarily the need for as much formality) on Regent with solid quality.

Some on this board equate Regent with a New York fine dining experience. I think that is a bit overstated for most of the meals. Personally, service has not been that impressive of late, but you will find opinions both in agreement and disagreement with that. However, there are, like the Celebrity specialty restaurants, some meals that are truly outstanding.

Would the difference in food quality have me cruise Regent over Celebrity? No. Do I think the price difference supports the higher food quality alone? No. There are many factors in deciding which line to cruise.

Regent has many good qualities but so does Celebrity. My last cruise was on Celebrity and my next is on Regent...and then it looks like it will be Seabourn and then back to Celebrity, then???

I am just off a European itinerary (Monte Carlo to Dover) in the last few weeks and I have also experienced Celebrity. I find that the main dining room on X lacking compared with Compass Rose. Just knowing that my food is cooked to order on Regent in the main dining room and the quality is 10 times better.

Comparing specialty restaurants is different too - The Olympic was a lovely experience, but, is comparable to that of Signatures. One being more Americanized in their menu. while Signatures menu is designed by Le Cordon Bleu and is definitely French style cuisine. That was the only thing that I raved about on my Millennium cruise.

However, the full Regent Experience to me is far better overall and to me worthwhile. I did a financial comparison after my Celebrity cruise and found the price difference to be less than $100 pp per day for the same accomodations on the same itinerary without the nickel and diming and tipping. Regent has me totally feeling spoiled.

I did a financial comparison after my Celebrity cruise and found the price difference to be less than $100 pp per day for the same accomodations on the same itinerary without the nickel and diming and tipping. Regent has me totally feeling spoiled.

There have been some good discussions on this board about the total cost of Regent cruise versus a Celebrity cruise. When comparing similar accommodations (which can be a bit difficult because the most basic of Regent is better than the top non-suites on Celebrity -save the family oceanview cabins) it is really cruise dependent. I, personally, have found by comparing a Celebrity Suite (467 sq. ft.) for 4 people to two lower suites on Regent (about 300 sq ft each) that, for European and Alaska cruises, Regent has come out either equal or just a few dollars more than Celebrity...and the itineraries are better. (BTW, my calculations take into account the charges for drinks, wine and tipping.) Keep in mind, also, that Regent generally has better shore excusions and they are generally offered at a more reasonable price.

The 2007 prices change that a bit, but it is a calculation that is worth making.

Spuds:

I can't reply about the food on Regent, as our first cruise with them will be in September. However, if food is important to you (It certainly is for me!) I can suggest you look at Oceania Cruises. My family just cruised with them last month and we all agreed the food was some of the best we have ever had ANYWHERE. The variety and quality on our 12 night Mediterranean cruise was unsurpassed.

We have sailed both lines, and there is no comparison. Regent's food is FAR superior to Celebrity. Celebrity is pretty good for a mass market line. Regent is most excellent, and in many cases, as good as any 5* land based restaurant we have ever been to.

Also, on our last cruise, which was on Celebrity, it was virtually impossible to get our wine poured, from the bottle we had purchased. Regent pours freely, with their wine! Of course, just IMHO. Helaine

I second the previous poster's view re: Oceania. The food was of exceptional quality across the board. They have sushi every night in Tapa's. I was on the Paul Gaughin last year. Food was ok, not wonderful. Though in the tropic's after being in the sun etc, my appetite isn't the same.

I haven't sailed Celebrity but have just returned from the Navigator. The food was wonderful and, as someone above stated, freshly cooked to order. We did not have a bad meal and had some truly excellent ones - Chateaubriand being one that comes to mind. The wines are good, complimentary and poured freely. I thought the service was excellent. We also did a Galley tour and pretty much everything is made on board such as wonderful fresh breads, desserts and hand made chocolates as well as all the normal things

Just returned from a Baltic cruise on the Regent Navigator. Most people aboard fround the food exceptional. The food was presented as beautifully as any I have ever seen. However, tastewise it missed the mark and the protions were miniscule - one night I ordered a shrimp appetizer and out came one shrimp! I have found the food on the Millenium to be only fair - it was better on Regent. I don;t mean to say the food was bad on Regent - it was not up to what should have been on a premium line. I have found the food on Princess to be superior, and that is certainly a mass market cruise!

I've been on both lines and to me there is no comparison. Regent is the top. Celebrity was more mass market, plus they're preparing for 2-3x guests. I would agree that the Olympic on Millennium was exceptionally good and not mass market, but on Regent the Cordon Bleu Signatures restaurant is similar but smaller plus the dinner doesn't cost extra and wine is included. If your cruise on Regent has the Cordon Bleu cooking school, it's worth the money ($400) but sign up before you go because they always seem to sell out since the class size is small.

Just wanted to say Thanks for all your replies. I think we may consider Oceania for our next cruise as I have been doing a bit of research on them. I just hope our expectations aren't too high.

Thanks again!

Although I haven't been on the Navigator yet (will be on the April 16th repositioning cruise). Any of the restaurants on Regent ships would no have a problem with ordering additional appetizers and requesting a larger portion of shrimp. Personally, I appreciate the smaller portions as it allows me to sample two or three appetizers and still have room for the main course, dessert, cheese and fruit. :)

I thought Celebrity was great when they first got started...especially the beef. Now they are typical mass market in my book unless you dine in the specialty restaurant.

Oceania.......food in the main d dining room was OK...but nothing like the level they advertise. I would put in on par with Princess as far as taste and quality. However the service......B.A.D.

I was on that ship (Insignia) from Buenos Aires to Rio in February...not once did they get my order correct at dinner. There was always a big excuse as to who was at fault and who was to blame.....and I didn't even make a fuss. Other guets at the table were very vocal. and it really ruined the meal as far as I was concerned. Even the Maitre"D seemed imbarassed and apologized each evening when I left the dining room.....

To me service can make any meal great.....will I sail Oceania again....no.

I'll stick with Regent where the service always makes the meal.

Archived