Upsell "Controversy"

kokosmama

glad to see that this unfair practice is being looked into, my letter references this matter was mailed out certifed mail last tuesday and received on Thursday. Yes we are making loud noise on this matter. You cant tell me if I offer to pay more money for a AA cabin then someone else did one day apart is fair and got refused is fair, they are leaving there self wide open for a suit

As has been pointed out, NCL is not opening themselves up to a lawsuit because of different pricing. It happens all the time in the travel industry.

How about a real example that just happened to me: I just booked three nights in a hotel in a vacation area. I had done searches on line and found a hotel I liked and it had a good price. I called the hotel to make a personal reservation instead of online. (don't always trust those things) I told them I had AAA and the lady gave me a price. IT WAS HIGHER THAN WHAT WAS ON THE INTERNET! When I told her that, she said that yes, sometimes it is cheaper to book through the online system. So I thanked her and went back on line and made my reservation on line and saved about $15 a night for each room. So is it fair that those people who call in reservations pay more?? Not really, but why should I complain??? It is business.

Another example: My wife booked a night in the local water park hotel for my daughter and her friends. About two days later we received a disount card in the mail for 20% off any nights stay. On the card it says: "not valid for existing reservations." Is that fair?? It may not be, but it is BUSINESS!

Like Midthenight said, hotels have all different pricing based on whether you are AAA, AARP, Corportate rates, etc. The same is true of cruise lines.

NCL moved our AF rooms and we tried very hard to get connecting rooms back, even offering to pay the difference to upgrade to AB/AF connecting. In the end NCL came through and found us connecting AF's for the same price. Did I yell and scream, send them certified letters and threaten them?? No, I just kept stating my case.

By the way, you know how they probably got those rooms to move us to? They most likely offered nice upsells or, heaven forbid, free upgrades to the people in those cabins in order to free them for us. Those people were chosen for upsells/upgrades because NCL was trying to help solve a problem! Yes, as a result someone else on the ship probably did not get an upsell/upgrade but I don't see how it is unfair. I call it smart business.

Now, do I wish NCL would have given us the free upgrade or a deal on an upsell? You bet, who wouldn't! But in the end our family ended up together in connecting rooms which was good enough for us.

Very well said Keystone Cruiser. You make excellent points that make sense. I wonder if the same people that get upset when someone else gets a better deal are then upset if they got the better deal? Would there be outrage if they got the cheap upsell to the better cabin and paid less than someone else paid for a lower category cabin? Would they demand justice for the other person and give up their upsell to be fair? Would they sue the cruise line for being so generous to them? Food for thought... :rolleyes:

What I do not get is why RPSINNJ, just did not book the cabin he wanted when he booked his cruise? If he wanted an AA then he should have paid the rate for the AA, and not hope to get it in an Upsell!

What I do not get is why RPSINNJ, just did not book the cabin he wanted when he booked his cruise? If he wanted an AA then he should have paid the rate for the AA, and not hope to get it in an Upsell!

RPSINNJ and SUZYS booked a mini suite, and upsold to the AD, so they probably ended up paying less than the people who originally booked the AD's.

They just not happy that they didn't get the AA, for the price that someone else got it for. I think the people who booked the AD's months in advance should be the ones complaining here.

I'm booked on the Crown 8/6 in a Category D stateroom. I could book the same stateroom for the same trip in September or October for almost half the cost. Unfortunately, we have school age children. Perhaps I should write to NCL to demand compensation for overpaying for the same exact cruise.:rolleyes:

I've seen people here recommend that you book a cabin category you'll be happy with and if, IF you're lucky you might get the call for the upgrade/upsell but you shouldn't count on it. I totally agree with that and that's the idea I have when booking a cruise. I think we would all love to get an upsell offer, or even better an upgrade, but I don't think we should blame the cruise line if it doesn't happen. This isn't a personal attack on rpsinnj because I haven't been following his situation but just a response to the subject in general.

I've seen people here recommend that you book a cabin category you'll be happy with and if, IF you're lucky you might get the call for the upgrade/upsell but you shouldn't count on it. I totally agree with that and that's the idea I have when booking a cruise. I think we would all love to get an upsell offer, or even better an upgrade, but I don't think we should blame the cruise line if it doesn't happen.

And with an attitude like that, I seriously doubt that you'll ever get a cabin you're not happy with (provided you've done your homework in advance and know what to expect-and I have a hunch you do)!!!

-Monte

RPSINNJ and SUZYS booked a mini suite, and upsold to the AD, so they probably ended up paying less than the people who originally booked the AD's.

They just not happy that they didn't get the AA, for the price that someone else got it for. I think the people who booked the AD's months in advance should be the ones complaining here.

And who says that the price quoted is what was really paid on that AA suite? Maybe it wasn't and maybe RPSINNJ caused a stink for no reason and should really NOT ask people what they paid! - hmmm how would I know that?

We are doing a 3 night cruise in October for My Birthday, and I decided to live on the wild side and booked a Lowest Inside Guarentee! If I end up in the lowest Cat it will be funny, but if I end up in a higher cat I am not goign to complain either! I just thought it was a different way of trying it out! :p 8th cruise first one that I am gambling on my cabin!!

I've been on 13 cruises and I've always booked the room I wanted (except for 1st cruise and that was because I didnt know any better), and I have never, ever, never been upgraded.............

And it really doesn't bother me. I've always been happy with the room I've booked. I dont see any problem with people getting upsells, or how they get them. I say "good for them" and maybe someday I will get one.

And who says that the price quoted is what was really paid on that AA suite? Maybe it wasn't and maybe RPSINNJ caused a stink for no reason and should really NOT ask people what they paid! - hmmm how would I know that?

And thats a fact jack :D

I have tried to ignore the repeated posts from a person who paid far less for an AD then the people next door who booked in advance. I guess some people are not happy unless they make others unhappy.

Certified letter because the poor man thinks he did not get the best deal on the ship...please...enough. the folks in the AE below him who paid more should really raise a stink

Bad enough it is repeated on the main board but the fact that RPSNNJ dragged the negativity into a rollcall causing more disharmony is inexcusable.

RSSNNJ you made your point move on. The cruise is over you got a great deal from a program your are trying to put at risk.

Now where is that ignore feature I need to update my list:D

I know, in a limited market............another airline down the tubes:D

I dunno, last time I flew them, by the time our group was called my family ended up scattered all over the plane!!!

-Monte

I've been on 13 cruises and I've always booked the room I wanted (except for 1st cruise and that was because I didnt know any better), and I have never, ever, never been upgraded.............

And it really doesn't bother me. I've always been happy with the room I've booked. I dont see any problem with people getting upsells, or how they get them. I say "good for them" and maybe someday I will get one.

That is exactly how I book my cruise. I want the same room as last year because I was very happy with my location. I want to be midship, midlevel to minimize the roll of the ship. I also want my window to be portside so I can look out the window at see the view of St George every day when we are in Bermuda. I have carefully planned the particular room I am booked in. So even if we were offered an upgrade or upsell, would I really be interested? Probably not. I am happy with what I have, how could I improve upon that. Unless I am overwhelmed with a ridiculous offer such as an owners suite for $100 more, I am not really going to think about it. As for price, I book early, get the room I want and that is the end of it. If I get a little off by the final payment fine, if not, fine. I am not chisleing for every last dollar and worrying about it. I know what I have budgeted and what I can afford and if someone pays less than me, so what. Life is really too short to sweat all these small details. It seems people blow up these minor issues into a major deal. If someone is so proud of the deal they got, why not wear a sandwich board with the price displayed while onboard. LOL I feel we are all getting terrific value for our money by cruising in the first place. You cannot duplicate the amenities you get on the cruise to Bermuda compared to a land vacation. I know because I spent a lot of time and effort to research an alternative to cruising and couldn't come within 50% of the value. So lets all be happy that we can enjoy a great vacation, cruising experience at such an affordable price. My attitude is thank you Norweigan Cruise Lines for being in business to bring this oportunity to me. I appreciate it and that word is lacking is so many of the posts I read.

NCL Majesty Aug 2004

NCL Majesty Sept 2005

NCL Majesty Sept 2006

There's a difference between upgraded and upsold. I booked a KK in March on the Star, then through information obtained in this forum, I called the Reassignment Desk and informed them that I was interested in an UpSell, they offerred be a BB balcony for $125/pp - not bad for our first cruise.

Our second cruise is in a couple of months. We booked a BD blacony, and we have been upgraded to a BA balcony for no extra charge. I did call to inquire about an UpSell to a Penthouse, but I am too early. They typically do upsells 4-6 weeks before the sailings.

So long as you understand the difference between upgrade and upsell this is key. We have been upsold once, and so far upgraded once.

It irks me to hear someone complain, we are on the Sun Christmas week, booked a year and a half in advance to get an AD paid a pretty penny for it, we aren't looking to go up to an AA we booked and PAID for what we wanted, some people get too greedy in my opinion. How in the world are they opening themselves up for lawsuits? Your upgrade from a mini to my cabin cost less than I am paying maybe I should sue:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

It's all in how the dice are rolled.

If you typically book a GTY in the category that you want, for example a balcony, you will always be guaranteed that type of cabin. If it gets upgraded then so be it - that's the chance. You still get a balcony, but perhaps you get one in a higher category than what you originally paid for at no extra charge. It’s nobody’s fault, that’s the chance you take booking a GTY.

Now, if you are upsold, then that is hugely different and it too is nothing to complain about. Let’s say you book into a BD and decide that it would be a treat if you “could” get into a suite or a penthouse. Asking to be upsold is no different than asking at the ticket window of an airline if you could be moved to first class or asking for a better room in a hotel, only you pay a nominal fee in NCL’s case. Both parties win; you are in a far superior room for less than you would have paid if you booked into that category, and NCL wins because they have you in a nice cabin and chances are very good that you would like to book into this category again in the future. The domino effect returns as now your BD cabin is available and now someone in a lower category could be upsold or upgraded to that cabin.

Talking lawsuits is silly. This happens all the time with hotels, airlines, cruises and car rentals. Take it as it comes and don’t be jealous.

Hear........hear:D I also want to add.......PEOPLE LIE:eek: ........just to get someone`s goat (if they would be so rude to ask:rolleyes: ) I would tell them a ridiculous price:D

EXACTLY! I would say something ridiculous too. Asking that kind of question is just so nosey and rude.

Archived