Skeptical about "full sailings"

Tinknock50

I am skeptical when I board a ship and they have the sign up saying there will be no cabin changes because the ship is full.

The reason I say this is every once in awhile, there are major mechanical problems with certain cabins on "full" ships, but somehow they always have a cabin to move people to.

I sometimes wonder if they hold at least one handicap cabin somewhere in case someone is injured and needs one to continue their cruise.

Anybody ever wonder about this?

If there were a couple of cabins available, and if they moved you to one of them, then the one you'd booked would be available so they'd still have those "extras", right? So there's really no reason for them to embellish the truth, is there?

Whenever you feel like questioning a statement ask yourself what biases the person or company making it could have - do they derive a benefit form the statement? If not, why doubt it?

If there were a couple of cabins available, and if they moved you to one of them, then the one you'd booked would be available so they'd still have those "extras", right? So there's really no reason for them to embellish the truth, is there?

Whenever you feel like questioning a statement ask yourself what biases the person or company making it could have - do they derive a benefit form the statement? If not, why doubt it?

Well....heres one. There may feel it is a lot of trouble switching people around and just find it easier just to keep people where they are. They may feel it ties up the front desk on a busy Embarkation day.

Remember that "burst pipe" and subsequent "wet carpet" thread of a couple of months ago? HAL ship's staff said that ship (can't remember the name) was full except for the PH. Pax from the affected cabins set up camp in front of the Front Office in protest and slept in public lounges. When there are cabins available HAL has no problmes making some extra $$ by allowing folks to upgrade. No problems or trouble at all. Nothing wrong with being skeptical at times but I personally don't see a reason for HAL to lie about the occupancy levels of a ship during a certain cruise

Interesting Copper.....Where did they finally place those pax?

I remember reviews in the past where people were moved to other cabins on "full ships" when there were major problems with their rooms.

How was this accomplished?

This isn't meant to be a criticism of HAL. I could list list their many wonderful "extra miles" they have done with my current booking. Going much further than other cruiselines.

Interesting Copper.....Where did they finally place those pax?

No where. There were no cabins available since the ship was full. As copper said some of them slept in the lobby and public lounges.

Could be wrong but If I recall, it was during the end of that cruise and those affected pax stayed there until they got off the ship. I believe an elderly couple spent the night on the Lido deck.

Can't answer your question; I think only HAL can ;)

Sorry I dont' remember but it wasn't all that long ago.

If you get creative with some searchs and have the time you might find it. ;)

Sorry I dont' remember but it wasn't all that long ago.

If you get creative with some searchs and have the time you might find it. ;)

LOL......I know what you mean about searches. Its like having a second job trying find the info that you want.:)

I am skeptical when I board a ship and they have the sign up saying there will be no cabin changes because the ship is full.

The reason I say this is every once in awhile, there are major mechanical problems with certain cabins on "full" ships, but somehow they always have a cabin to move people to.

I sometimes wonder if they hold at least one handicap cabin somewhere in case someone is injured and needs one to continue their cruise.

Anybody ever wonder about this?

Like anything else....they probably have some no-shows as well....;)

There are several good reasons why just about every mass market cruise ship displays a sign saying "Fully Booked" at the Reception Desk.

1. On most mass market sailings these days, every stateroom has been sold and paid for. The major cruise lines will not block revenue cabins for anyone - or anything - these days. They just cannot afford it - and demand is so high for cabin space that there is no reason to leave a revenue cabin empty when you can sell it to someone.

2. On every embarcation day, approximately 150 passengers are convinced that the cruise line owes them a complimentary upgrade. Without the "Fully Booked" sign on the Reception Desk, those 150 people will gladly tie up all the Receptionists for several hours in their attempts to get something for nothing. This means that passengers with real needs will not be taken care of in a timely fashion.

3. Most large mass market cruise ships have about a 1% no-show rate on a typical sailing. This amounts to 10 or 15 vacant cabins on many ships at sailing time. But those cabins were paid for by someone. Whoever did not show on embarcation day usually has a chance to join the ship later in the cruise. Until (sometimes never) the ship hears that the passengers have definitely cancelled, and will not be claiming their cabin, there is nothing they can do with that cabin. Quite often the ship is informed on the second or third day of the cruise that passengers have cancelled and definitely will not be sailing.

4. Believe it or not, there are quite a few passengers who are perfectly willing to pay for an upgrade once onboard. They usually contact the Front Office Manager and leave their names in case something becomes available. Typically there are more people willing to pay for an upgrade than there are cabins available. Some cruise lines give a commission to Front Office Staff who sell upgrades. This tends to discourage giving them away.

5. On just about every mass market cruise these days, several cabins are vacated mid-cruise by departing passengers. Domestic disputes seem to be the major new trend in sending people home. There is a death onboard nearly every week; sometimes several. The survivors usually want to take the body home ASAP. Inevitably there is an illness or death at home that causes several passengers to depart early and get home. Cabin space is so tight these days that ship management actually count on these misfortunes in order to have free cabin space for the inevitable noise complaints, broken plumbing, mal-functioning air-con, or dysfunctional couple that has to be separated mid-cruise.

There are several good reasons why just about every mass market cruise ship displays a sign saying "Fully Booked" at the Reception Desk.

1. On most mass market sailings these days, every stateroom has been sold and paid for. The major cruise lines will not block revenue cabins for anyone - or anything - these days. They just cannot afford it - and demand is so high for cabin space that there is no reason to leave a revenue cabin empty when you can sell it to someone.

2. On every embarcation day, approximately 150 passengers are convinced that the cruise line owes them a complimentary upgrade. Without the "Fully Booked" sign on the Reception Desk, those 150 people will gladly tie up all the Receptionists for several hours in their attempts to get something for nothing. This means that passengers with real needs will not be taken care of in a timely fashion.

3. Most large mass market cruise ships have about a 1% no-show rate on a typical sailing. This amounts to 10 or 15 vacant cabins on many ships at sailing time. But those cabins were paid for by someone. Whoever did not show on embarcation day usually has a chance to join the ship later in the cruise. Until (sometimes never) the ship hears that the passengers have definitely cancelled, and will not be claiming their cabin, there is nothing they can do with that cabin. Quite often the ship is informed on the second or third day of the cruise that passengers have cancelled and definitely will not be sailing.

4. Believe it or not, there are quite a few passengers who are perfectly willing to pay for an upgrade once onboard. They usually contact the Front Office Manager and leave their names in case something becomes available. Typically there are more people willing to pay for an upgrade than there are cabins available. Some cruise lines give a commission to Front Office Staff who sell upgrades. This tends to discourage giving them away.

5. On just about every mass market cruise these days, several cabins are vacated mid-cruise by departing passengers. Domestic disputes seem to be the major new trend in sending people home. There is a death onboard nearly every week; sometimes several. The survivors usually want to take the body home ASAP. Inevitably there is an illness or death at home that causes several passengers to depart early and get home. Cabin space is so tight these days that ship management actually count on these misfortunes in order to have free cabin space for the inevitable noise complaints, broken plumbing, mal-functioning air-con, or dysfunctional couple that has to be separated mid-cruise.

Jim,

Thanks for your insightful post. #2 was the one I thought most likely. #5 is a good point and explains why there always seems to be a place to put people when a couple of cabins have major problems.

I have never cruised and not seen that brass sign stating the "sailing is full". Probably fully "booked" would be more accurate.

LOL at this one. Hang around the desk for awhile. Sign or no sign people still show up demanding an upgrade. Some of the reasons are hilarious. You will hear everything from "my TA told me I would be upgraded", "I am a mariner", "I was upgraded last year", " I don't like my cabin", " 5 years ago, we had a problem, we should be upgraded on this cruise because of it". :D

I am always amazed and frankly put off by how many posters expect an upgrade for nothing, as if they deserve it. Why? If I paid for an S suite with its many amenities and you paid for an outside stateroom, why shouldn't I be annoyed if HAL just gives you an S and even more so if you post a list of reasons you think you should get it?

(And I'm not talking about upgrades if there are mechanical problems.)

I am always amazed and frankly put off by how many posters expect an upgrade for nothing, as if they deserve it. Why? If I paid for an S suite with its many amenities and you paid for an outside stateroom, why shouldn't I be annoyed if HAL just gives you an S and even more so if you post a list of reasons you think you should get it?

(And I'm not talking about upgrades if there are mechanical problems.)

I agree peaches. An upgrade should never be expected or demanded.

I don't have a problem going to the front desk and respectfully and politely asking if there are other available cabins to switch to. If the answer is "no" then thats where it ends.

.......and no "gizmo excuses" either....lol

Ditto,Peaches........

I will never understand why some people think they should get for free what other people have paid a lot of money for. I do not feel it happens very often on HAL that people get these amazing upgrades from inside to penthouse and the like. Sure, there are a rare few but I do not accept it is a common occurence.

Ditto,Peaches........

I will never understand why some people think they should get for free what other people have paid a lot of money for. I do not feel it happens very often on HAL that people get these amazing upgrades from inside to penthouse and the like. Sure, there are a rare few but I do not accept it is a common occurence.

I agree: we booked a guarantee and have in the past but have never really been upgraded, nor do we expect it: sure we hope for it, but if we really want to have a suite, veranda, whatever we know we need to pay for it. I take that back, one time we got upgraded (same cabin only higher deck) it was our 40th wedding anniversary. NMnita

Whenever I have booked a guarantee on HAL, I have always been upgraded to a nice cabin in a great location.

An upgrade is never expected......but hoped for!:)

A good rule of thumb with a guarantee is to pick a category that you will be happy with.......an upgrade is just icing on the cake.

Archived