??? re: Kantishna Wilderness Trails Tour

luvz2run2000

I am looking for information from anyone who has taken this bus tour. The time indicates that it is approximately 12 hours long.

Do you think it is worth that amount of time?

Is it too long to be on a bus?

What types of things did you see? I understand each tour will be different, just looking for general info. for DH.

Thanks!

I did this tour on June 30th and would recommend it. On the day when went we saw a lot of wildlife after we passed the point where the Tundra Wilderness Tour (TWT) ends. We sasw 3 grizzle and 2 cubs, some caribou, and a moose with her calf all after the point where the TWT ends. Also at the Kantishna Roadhouse you stop for a couple hours where they feed you soup, salad and a turkey wrap, at least that's what they fed us. After eating we had an option to watch a dog sled demo, they were pulling a cart on wheels, or to pan for gold. We did the gold panning. They gave us a bag of dirt and took us into a creek that runs near the Roadhouse. After we were done they laminated the gold on a card for us. It was a long day, but after talking to people that had done the TWT I was glad we did the longer tour. Hope this helps.

I do not recommend Kantishna as a day trip. In my opinion, you are far better off with the shuttle to Wonder Lake 5 miles less, this Kantishna trip is essentially a way over priced lunch. At $125 vs $45 for the shuttle. The dog sled demo at the park entrance is very nicely done and informative, also free. There is NO difference in the wildlife viewing opportunities between the two. You are going well into the park for the same wide range.

Is getting into Denali Park worth it??? Absolutely, the time flys by. :)

I do not recommend Kantishna as a day trip. In my opinion, you are far better off with the shuttle to Wonder Lake 5 miles less, this Kantishna trip is essentially a way over priced lunch. At $125 vs $45 for the shuttle. The dog sled demo at the park entrance is very nicely done and informative, also free. There is NO difference in the wildlife viewing opportunities between the two. You are going well into the park for the same wide range.

Is getting into Denali Park worth it??? Absolutely, the time flys by. :)

You've mentioned before that you wait until later in the summer to go to Wonder Lake because of mosquitoes there. What's the earliest you would travel that far into the park?

You've mentioned before that you wait until later in the summer to go to Wonder Lake because of mosquitoes there. What's the earliest you would travel that far into the park?

Mid August, otherwise Fish Creek would be my limit.

Archived