Listing ships? When? Where? What ship?

05mak05

In light of the incident on the Crown Princess, conversations naturally turn to unexpected events on cruise ships. One of my friends was on a lengthy cruise a long way from home when the ship suddenly listed. The details of her story sound very much like what happened within the past few days. However, it was never reported and the cruise line gave no explanation nor offered compensation. While listing is extremely rate, I'd still like to know of similar incidences.

In light of the incident on the Crown Princess, conversations naturally turn to unexpected events on cruise ships. One of my friends was on a lengthy cruise a long way from home when the ship suddenly listed. The details of her story sound very much like what happened within the past few days. However, it was never reported and the cruise line gave no explanation nor offered compensation. While listing is extremely rate, I'd still like to know of similar incidences.

Soory I don't have the answer you're looking for. I've only been on one cruise and my second is in 10 days:eek: . I am freaking out about what happened on the Crown Princess.

There are several posts here from people who have been through a similar episode. I have cruised for 30 + years and have experienced may such events. Most of them did not include any injuries but played havoc with glassware, tables, bottles of booze and anything in the cabin that wasn't tied or bolted down.

In most cases, these were caused by weather, rough seas and the like. A sudden squall with 90 knot winds did it one time! Was a wild, wild ride for a while, I'll tell ya...

One ship I was on in the early 80's had several days of this type of movement due to being on the skirt of a severe weather pattern. The crew strung rope all over the place; ropes across the public areas, dining room, hallways etc., so you could hold on to them while going from place to place across open areas. Water splashed from the pools and they were eventually emptied. Lounge chairs blown overboard by high winds.

In January of this year, I was on a Carnival ship returning to port and the last day and night was murder. Rough seas with 15-18 foot waves coming at us with an accompanying wind tossed that big, beautiful ship all over the place. We were at an almost permanent starboard "list" the whole time as the terrible waves and wind was coming from portside.

Anytime you are at sea in a ship, you can experience these things. Not all of them are going to result in injury, but some will. The sea rules, no matter how big the ship is.....

Sure wouldn't stop me from going again and again, as often as possible.:)

. One of my friends was on a lengthy cruise a long way from home when the ship suddenly listed. The details of her story sound very much like what happened within the past few days. However, it was never reported and the cruise line gave no explanation nor offered compensation. While listing is extremely rate, I'd still like to know of similar incidences.

what cruiseline --what ship and when --things of this nature have to be reported---------pax would be all over the internet and talking to reporters if this happened

Grand Princess did almost the exact same thing this February out of Galveston. Princess called it human error at the time.

I know Carnival Legend has listed more than once in the past. RCCL's Rhapsody of the Seas in December on the cruise prior to mine as it sailed back towards Galveston due to extremely high winds.

I'm not sure this link will work but it lists 7 cases of listing cruise ships in the last two years and says there have 11 or 12 cases in the last 5 years.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/orl-aseclisting21072106jul21,0,7158501.story?page=1&coll=orl-home-headlines

If it doesn't work I will try inputting the list of ships manually.

Have a great next NON-LISTING cruise.

Archived