when is the crown leaving for NY?

yankeebabe

Using the previous sailing as a guide. The ship should leave Florida by 1 pm today to return to NY to pick us up!

If I were due to go on the next sailing, I would be more interested in them determining the cause of the problem and correcting it, than how soon they can get to NY. I am sure that rescheduling could be inconvenient but better some inconvenience than another incident. I am sure the Coast Guard and Princess itself have their priorities straight and will not leave Port Canaveral until they are sure that the problem has been fixed and won't happen again.

As per Princess website, we are scheduled to leave on Saturday and the ports have changed. There is also a 50% discount that will be credited to your credit card (or method of payment). If you cancel, there is no cancellation fee. Are we all still going???

R

I heard they can make it to NY in 18 hours if they had to. They can go faster because they do not have passangers on board. I am keeping my fingers crossed!!! Nancy

Its about 800 miles. The ship at full speed does about 25 mph. At full speed its 32 hours. So it will need to leave by midnight to make it back in time to be provisioned. I also assume that it will be met with whatever additional replacement stuff it will need(tv etc).... No currently sailing ship could do it in 18 hours except one of the nuclear aircraft carriers. THe QM 2 only does about 35 mph at full speed(over 22 hours)...

Princess (take it for what it's worth) told me that cruising speed is 21 knots, but it can go up to 35 knots. I am most skeptical that a ship of that size could move so fast, but I believe cruising speed would be slower with passengers on board, etc. I would have guessed that without passengers, top speed would be 26-27 knots, more or less. In any event, they said it's a day and a half from florida to NY at normal cruising speed.

At 27 knots, that would be 30 hours (810 miles)

It's still in port at 12:30 eastern time.

I'm sure they've got every electrician, every glazier and every carpenter in the state of florida on board right now.

Princess (take it for what it's worth) told me that cruising speed is 21 knots, but it can go up to 35 knots. I am most skeptical that a ship of that size could move so fast, but I believe cruising speed would be slower with passengers on board, etc. I would have guessed that without passengers, top speed would be 26-27 knots, more or less. In any event, they said it's a day and a half from florida to NY at normal cruising speed.

At 27 knots, that would be 30 hours (810 miles)

It's still in port at 12:30 eastern time.

I'm sure they've got every electrician, every glazier and every carpenter in the state of florida on board right now.

I am sorry but no way can it go 35 knots which is almost 40 mph. The United States can go that fast with steam boilers and a hull made for speed. The Crown's top speed is in the 25 mph range. 27 knots is about 30 mph....I said it would take a minimum of 32, I won't kibble about 30.

Crown Princess cleared to leave port

Passengers to pay half price for first voyage after accident

BY KAUSTUV BASU

and RICK NEALE

1:05 P.M. UPDATE: Ship will sail at 3 p.m.

The Crown Princess will set sail at 3 p.m. today with U.S. Coast Guard and National Transportation Safety Board investigators aboard.

"We haven't concluded the investigation yet," said Lt. Patrick Eiland, spokesman for the Coast Guard at Port Canaveral.

Four investigators will make the entire voyage from Port Canaveral to New York, checking the operation of the 116,000-ton ship during the trip.

Officials said the Crown Princess will follow the exact route the ship took Tuesday afternoon when a steering problem 11 miles out of Port Canaveral caused the ship to suddenly tilt to the right side.

The angle of the tilt was between 15 degrees and 18 degrees, officials said today.

Only the investigators and crew members will be aboard the ship. The 3,100 passengers disembarked the ship the last two days at Port Canaveral, taking airplanes, trains and cars back home. Most of the passengers were from the Northeast.

11:45 A.M. UPDATE: Ship cleared to set sail

The Canaveral Port Authority has cleared the Crown Princess to leave the port, officials said today.

The cruise ship is expected to leave its berth within the next two hours on a voyage to New York.

Preparations are being made for the Crown Princess to depart around 1 p.m., said Petty Officer Jennifer Johnson, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Coast Guard, one of the leading agencies reviewing the incident involving the cruise ship.

The ship suddenly tilted 15 degrees to the right shortly after it left Port Canaveral on Tuesday afternoon on a planned trip to New York.

Unless I'm mistaken, she should have left 10 minutes ago, but according to the webcam, she is still there.

Look at the time at the bottom right though. It says 2:45 EDT they might have froze the camera?

I wonder if they were to able dig up replacement glassware and other stuff here so decided to hold the ship. Better to deplete Florida (if you get my drift) and then use NYC to round things out, than to get to NYC and not have enough replacement supplies.

Archived