Auckland, NZ -- Best Hotel?

ashuma

We'll be staying in Auckland overnight before our 2007 cruise. What hotels have people used there and any recommnedations. We like delux hotels -- not looking for cheapest, but best. Thanks.

I did a great deal of research on this topic in preparation for a February, 2006 cruise on the Statendam that I ended up having to cancel. My intent was to stay 3-4 days in Auckland and really having a good visit, as well as recovering from jet lag, before the cruise began.

Probably, the most convienent hotel to the harbor area I found is actually located on the pier where the ships dock--a Hilton. But, it is very expensive. I settled on the Hyatt Regency. They were easy to deal with, responding to a request for literature about the hotel--sent by mail--and in responding to my e-mails. If the opportunty presents itself in the future for me to visit Auckland, it is my intention to re-book the Hyatt.

I found doing a "search" for Auckland hotels to be productive. Have fun!

Thanks for the feedback. Right now we're only planning to spend one night in Auckland before the cruise, but we may increase that if my hubby can afford more time off. We're a;ready doing a 16 day cruise rather than 14 dayer.

Hi Annie,

Since you plan on only spending one day in Auckland, you might want to try to choose a hotel that is on, or very close to, the hop on/hop off sightseeing bus. That might help make what time you have for sightseeing more productive. The Hyatt is not exactly on the route, but a very close walk to the nearest boarding point.

• 1 month later...

We are arriving in Auckland early -- what time does the sightseeing bus begin it's daily schedule and could we bring all our luggage on it? Are one of the stops near where the ship docks? Trying to figure out what to do with ourselves for a good part of the day before we board our ship.

Thanks.

You do have a problem here as you don't really want to do the Auckland Explorer Bus with your luggage.

The closest stop is at the Ferry Building (adjacent to where the Sapphire will dock).

The only thing I can suggest is that you contact one of the hotels near the dock and see whether you can check your bags for the day. We stayed at the Copthorne HarbourCity which is across the road from the ship. When we checked out at 9am we came back at 3pm to pick up our bags and walk to the ship.

Good luck and have an enjoyable cruise.

http://www.explorerbus.co.nz/

http://www.millenniumhotels.com/MCIL.nsf/LU_HOTELDOC/80$$HotelDescription?OpenDocument

hey...sorry just saw this post., the Quay west is a great hotel...very close to the port., close to the bottom of town the harbour and the Viaduct...which is full of restaurants and bars. The Explorer bus "get on, Get off" has stops very close by and you would have a 3 minute walk to your boat., the Langholm...the old Shereton, while is at the top of the CBD is still an excellant hotel. You would need a taxi to access the port., but there is a great bus service called the "link" which is about $2 which stops very close by and does just about the same stops as the explorer....in fact...now that i come to think about it "the Link" also passes Quay West.

Apart from these two hotels., yes...the Hyatt is great., and there are also some very good boutique hotels in Ponsonby which is a very funky and trendy area about 15 minutes walk from the port area. Hope you enjoy Auckland...its one of the pacifics great cities.

Archived