Just an FYI for those Passport Pusher Society Members

flagger

We decided to go ahead and have a passport issued for our daughter, who will be 15 month old at the time of our first sailing. It is not required on the two sailings we are undertaking, but I have read it helps expedite boarding if all passengers have one.

We went to a post office here in North Texas on June 14th and turned in our paper work. (A bit of a nitemare as shared in this thread, but I digress) The cost was $40 (only good for five years) plus a $30 execution fee made out to the Postmaster. We received her passport back in the mail yesterday. The issue date (from the passport office in Houston) shows the 28th, just two weeks after it was turned in. We received it back in just under three weeks. Not bad for the busy summer travel season.

The additional cost was $10.97 for the photos at Sprawl-mart. They were the only location close that had a set up to take an infant/toddlers photo. We tried Wolf Camera and the AAA office and they were not set up for someone that small.

Just thought I would pass this on for those members of the PPS. :p

If the information I heard yesterday is correct you will be able to renew a minor (under 16 years) passport at no charge other than the update photo when the passport expires. You might want to check when it gets close to the expiration date.

Flagger, I had my renewed this year......it is good for 10 years.

I have no idea why your daughter's is only good for 5 years.

Flagger, I had my renewed this year......it is good for 10 years.

I have no idea why your daughter's is only good for 5 years.

Passports issued to children who are 15 years old or younger are only good for five years.

Lois,

This was posted more as information for those people who are against getting passports because of either the cost or the length of time it takes to get one back. The fees I paid were not for faster service and I think when they tell you six weeks, it was a nice surprise to get it back in just under three weeks.

Terre,

I asked on another parenting board I frequent and several parents said there seems to be a little more leniency as far as the phots for infant/toddlers. But it is why they are only good for five years.

That is great that it was so easy - I think having a passport is great - MUCH easier when traveling on cruise etc.

Interesting it seems 1st time passports take less time than renewals do.

DH and I got passports back in May - DH's was a first time passport and mine was a renewal with a name change. We did it together the same day - DH's got his back after 2 weeks - Mine took about 4 1/2 weeks! (I did certified mail with mine since I had to mail marriage license and old passport and it signed the day after I mailed it - so I know it got there quickly. They did come from two totally different passport centers so maybe that makes a difference?

Thanks for that time frame. I have been divorced for a number of years, but never seem to be home long enough to get my passport name changed. Glad to hear a time frame even if it is 6 weeks. Mind if I ask where yours had to go for the change? My original was issued in Miami.

Hi Gail:) ....my original was issued from Miami as well.....when I needed to update it all I did was go to the local Post Office...they have a form you fill out and then you mail your old one along with the form to the address on the the form......mine was mailed to Pittsburgh, PA~oh, of course you mail a check with everything too.

Archived