RCI's New Alcohol Policy effective 7/28/06? (merged)

Hi Caviargal:

Did you get briefed on what ships/ports the policy was to be implemented on? US? a few US? Europe? What about Transatlantic? Any other international? What about the mention of being denied boarding for smuggling? I would assume smuggling covers carryons and checked?

Do you personally plan on bringing your wine as usual?

I still wish RCI would be more clear about their policies and methods of enforcement. Then we would not always be arguing about dress code, beverage policies, and chair hogs etc.

Thanks.

Honestly, since we were discussing a Bahamas cruise I did not ask about Europe. She did tell me it was fleet wide but was not specific about European itineraries. I will fire off an email and ask and post back.

I do plan to bring wine aboard but have "permission" from the group department to bring a few special bottles as we had requested this when we booked. If they try to take it, I will pull out my letter.

Their verbage is strong and, while the drinking age is easy to enforce via seapass cards, the smuggling will be harder.

I totally agree about the lack of enforcement of all of their rules. Like most lines, they are inconsistent at best.

Hi Caviargal:

Did you get briefed on what ships/ports the policy was to be implemented on? US? a few US? Europe? What about Transatlantic? Any other international? What about the mention of being denied boarding for smuggling? I would assume smuggling covers carryons and checked?

I still wish RCI would be more clear about their policies and methods of enforcement. Then we would not always be arguing about dress code, beverage policies, and chair hogs etc.

Thanks.

RCI is clear about the dress code and chair saving but where they fail in this area is to enforce it. I do hope that they enforce this new alcohol policy.

RCI is clear about the dress code and chair saving but where they fail in this area is to enforce it. I do hope that they enforce this new alcohol policy.

Ditto, along with the youth security program. To have rules and not enforce them is not only a waste of time and effort but makes those expecting a certain experience become disenchanted with the reality.

Hi, Caviargal,

Did you miss my previous question? They ended up on the bottom of the page.

If you read the new policy as posted here, it's not just about youth security. One point that caught my attention is that if you "over consume" you can be disembarced. In Texas, that would be .o8, almost every one that has 2 drinks gets to .08. huuuummmm the devil is in the details.

It never fails....

Every week or so someone has to start a thread about some inflamatory topic.

This week it's this poster, not citing any sources, starting this thread

(which, by the way was completely lifted entirely off a previous alcohol thread and there are no sources given on that thread either)

(just do a 'find all posts' on OP and you can see this)

And the same posts are posted, by the same people, for and against the topic.

One person says "my set sail pass says..." (this is what I consider CLEAR documentation) and someone responds "Well, I saw on a TA site..." (this is not what I consider a form of "documentation")

One person cites the standard Royal Caribbean Alcohol smuggling policy (like we all havent seen this posted and highlighted before a ZILLION times? :rolleyes: Sheesh!)

And another person responds with "I'll take my chances, they will only confiscate, not deny me passage...

Same 'ol, same 'ol....yawn.....

Maybe I'll start a thread about wearing jeans in the dining room....I dont see one of those active at present....:cool:

Can we say "puppetmaster" boys and girls?

Just spoke with another RCCL customer service person who actually checked with a supervisor. They had issued the policy of no alcohol at all for 18-21 but have not implemented it yet. He said it would be implemented in a few months but neither he nor his supervisor could define "several"

We would never bring hard alcohol on the ship. If we want a martini, we'll go to the lounge and get one. We're not looking to get sauced the cheapest way possible by any means.

For us, we like to bring 2-3 bottles of nice wine in our bags. Why? Simply because we like good wine with our dinner. From looking at the wine list for RCI, it looks like they don't have a great selection, and it is way overpriced for what you do get.

Others may disagree, but I think their new policy is unreasonable. I can understand what they are trying to achieve (I think!!), but it may cost them a whole lot more in the long run.

Im with you WALLAROOS!!! I dont agree with people bringing hard liquor

on-board or an entire mini-bar so they can get drunk before the ship even leaves port. BUT I think there is room for some SMALL AMOUNT of grey area.

I agree with you on the selection and price of the wines on board; depending on the brand there's usualy a huge mark-up. I don't bring liquor on-board but agree if you are celebrating a special ocassion or just want a special bottle of wine for private in-cabin consumption, you cannot find on-board I cant understand why RCI doesnt allow that?

It just pisses of law abiding non-abusive passengers.

They need to train security to make RATIONAL (not arbitrary) jusgement calls. Just like cops on land are trained to make rational decisions about whom to stop or ticket etc...even if they may be in technical violation of a specific law. For example:

1.) Couple one brings a few bottles of wine on-board but has teenagers=

nope you dont get to bring it on-board because there's no way to guarantee that while the parents are out the teens wont dip into the parents stash fall overboard or commit a crime...then evryone is on RCI's case about safety.

2.) Couple two is traveling alone no kids , no one else but them registered to the room, are on their honeymoon or are grandpa and grandma just getting away and they just have a bottle or two of wine =

YUP; you dont embarrass them and ransack their bag to take it out. Leave them be!!!

Can anyone out there tell me where im illogical in the examples I gave above?

PS: :-) if grandma and grandpa are bringing Absynth or some other wordly concoction on-board they DO NOT get a pass on that, who knows what crazy things they will do :-)

ok some say its a made up policy...the issue i care about is the confiscation of the bottle of wine while boarding etc...

others say RCI said the policy including the confiscation part above is true so which is it. Can anyone confirm if RCI will open your bag while boarding and remove the wine if you bring it on board?

Im with you WALLAROOS!!! I dont agree with people bringing hard liquor

on-board or an entire mini-bar so they can get drunk before the ship even leaves port. BUT I think there is room for some SMALL AMOUNT of grey area.

I agree with you on the selection and price of the wines on board; depending on the brand there's usualy a huge mark-up. I don't bring liquor on-board but agree if you are celebrating a special ocassion or just want a special bottle of wine for private in-cabin consumption, you cannot find on-board I cant understand why RCI doesnt allow that?

It just pisses of law abiding non-abusive passengers.

They need to train security to make RATIONAL (not arbitrary) jusgement calls. Just like cops on land are trained to make rational decisions about whom to stop or ticket etc...even if they may be in technical violation of a specific law. For example:

1.) Couple one brings a few bottles of wine on-board but has teenagers=

nope you dont get to bring it on-board because there's no way to guarantee that while the parents are out the teens wont dip into the parents stash fall overboard or commit a crime...then evryone is on RCI's case about safety.

2.) Couple two is traveling alone no kids , no one else but them registered to the room, are on their honeymoon or are grandpa and grandma just getting away and they just have a bottle or two of wine =

YUP; you dont embarrass them and ransack their bag to take it out. Leave them be!!!

PS: :-) if grandma and grandpa are bringing Absynth or some other wordly concoction on-board they DO NOT get a pass on that, who knows what crazy things they will do :-)

IMHO if they are going to have a policy then it should be cut and dry. Using your rationale above will only cause uproars from guests on why one person can keep the alcohol while someone else's is taken. If the cruise line is going to have a policy then enforce or don't have it at all.

ok some say its a made up policy...the issue i care about is the confiscation of the bottle of wine while boarding etc...

others say RCI said the policy including the confiscation part above is true so which is it. Can anyone confirm if RCI will open your bag while boarding and remove the wine if you bring it on board?

Several TA's have posted that they have been told personally, received emails or it is posted on the TA site that the new policy is coming soon. I tend to believe them. There are some on here that don't want to believe it as they know it may affect them. What happens to those bringing wine on board? Who knows but maybe the TA's can get clarification on that. I guess we will soon see how serious RCI is on this new policy.:)

Several TA's have posted that they have been told personally, received emails or it is posted on the TA site that the new policy is coming soon. I tend to believe them. There are some on here that don't want to believe it as they know it may affect them. What happens to those bringing wine on board? Who knows but maybe the TA's can get clarification on that. I guess we will soon see how serious RCI is on this new policy.:)

Thanks for the info. I agree with you on cut and dry security policies in certain areas but this is not one. I know ships are different than hotels but you would not have the bellboy in a hotel go through your bags and tell you you can only have wine in your room if you buy it from room service or the min-bar. I draw a distinction between wine and hard liqour as well as amount. 1 or 2 bottles ok half a case is an abuse :-)

Everyone trying to take bottles on will find some way to justify it. The grey area you speak of would call for someone to make a judgement call. I just don't see that working. RCI has to make it clear cut, with no exceptions. That would be the only way to control it.

Everyone trying to take bottles on will find some way to justify it. The grey area you speak of would call for someone to make a judgement call. I just don't see that working. RCI has to make it clear cut, with no exceptions. That would be the only way to control it.

respectfully disagree :-)

ok lets apply your reasoning to some on-board policies off the top of my head (I can come up with more in time):

first RCI needs to hire a lot more security guards because if there are no grey areas allowed then I expect to see the following enforced:

1.) Security stopping folks from reserving chairs at shows and in the pool area.

2.) zero tolerance (a la Carnival) of non-smoking policy in certain ship areas.

3.) patrols to make sure children are not in the solarium at any time

4.) Jeans patrol in the dinning room during dinner semi and full formal nights

5.) patrol to make sure passengers do not take the pool towels into their staterooms.

No one can tell me alls these policies above are stictly enforced with no grey areas... if seen them ignored repeadedly

I will let you know how it goes on the SOS next month, as random enforcement is an issue and life would be so much easier it is were cut and dry on this issue and many others.

As a TA, I feel it is my responsibility to inform my clients of policies and rules so that they are not surprised. I do not encourage anyone to try and break or bend the rules. I simply present the policies as the cruise line publishes them.

Sometimes I catch flack that others on board their cruise "got away" with various things, like shorts at dinner in the dining room, or buying a drink when they should not be allowed to, etc. That does not change what I tell my clients.

I am in a "discussion" with RCI at this very moment about their wine policy. The sad truth is that many of the employees who provide info to we TAs and also to the general public are misinformed. I save everything and bring copies with me to the ship if it is a grey area.

Selective enforcement is the real annoyance here, IMO.

When we sailed on Carnival, we brought a bottle of wine and a 12 pack of soda in our luggage (along with bottled water and gatorade). We were called off the ship to unlock our bag so they could see what was inside (they saw the cokes on the x-ray and thought it was beer).... when we showed them it was soda they let us take it on (also they didn't confiscate the wine).....

Also, when i went on RCL last year with my BF and his parents, they were able to sign for BOTH of us.....

(i think its strange that they would require your parent to sign for you as opposed to the person you "adult" you are sailing with....considering at age 20 my parents don't really have any legal control over me anymore anyhow....however i totally agree that the person you are sailing with should sign (since they are responsible for you)

It never fails....

Every week or so someone has to start a thread about some inflamatory topic.

This week it's this poster, not citing any sources, starting this thread

(which, by the way was completely lifted entirely off a previous alcohol thread and there are no sources given on that thread either)

(just do a 'find all posts' on OP and you can see this)

And the same posts are posted, by the same people, for and against the topic.

One person says "my set sail pass says..." (this is what I consider CLEAR documentation) and someone responds "Well, I saw on a TA site..." (this is not what I consider a form of "documentation")

One person cites the standard Royal Caribbean Alcohol smuggling policy (like we all havent seen this posted and highlighted before a ZILLION times? :rolleyes: Sheesh!)

And another person responds with "I'll take my chances, they will only confiscate, not deny me passage...

Same 'ol, same 'ol....yawn.....

Maybe I'll start a thread about wearing jeans in the dining room....I dont see one of those active at present....:cool:

Can we say "puppetmaster" boys and girls?

You are so way out of line on this one!!

Funny....I went back and read only about 100 of the original posters posts....only took about 10 minutes, and I came up with her EXACT JOB, and why we should believe them on the New Alcohol Policy with RCCL!

Like I said before, they don't post here much, but when they do post something here about RCCL Policies, and getting onboard, we really do need to believe them.....it's OFFICIAL!!

Not all posters have to have 1000+ posts to be believable!

Take Care,

Jaime

Thanks for the info. I agree with you on cut and dry security policies in certain areas but this is not one. I know ships are different than hotels but you would not have the bellboy in a hotel go through your bags and tell you you can only have wine in your room if you buy it from room service or the min-bar. I draw a distinction between wine and hard liqour as well as amount. 1 or 2 bottles ok half a case is an abuse :-)

The reason you draw a distinction is because it fits your needs. You are obviously a wine drinker, and by doing so, you easily justify bringing on a couple of bottles of wine. Either it is alcohol or its not. Period. You can get drunk and do stupid stuff after consuming wine or whiskey.

Alright TA have been notified about this change in policy and they are to notify their clients, but what about anyone that has booked directly through RC? Has anyone that book directly been contact by RC?

Have they posted a date when this new policy on the the 18-20 will be in effect? Personally I'm upset because we chose RCI so our son could go in the clubs and gamble. Will this be affected? Also what's to stop people from lying about their kids ages on the cruise documents?

Have they posted a date when this new policy on the the 18-20 will be in effect? Personally I'm upset because we chose RCI so our son could go in the clubs and gamble. Will this be affected? Also what's to stop people from lying about their kids ages on the cruise documents?

July 28, 2006.

So, let me get this straight, you arrive at the port and you send your luggage off with the porters to bring your luggage on board. Do you mean to tell me that RCCL is going to open every piece of luggage to see if you have liquor stored in it?? That seems a bit farfetched don't you think?? We are talking 4,000 - 6,000 pieces of luggage right??? And, even if they did, they could just confiscate the bottle and you be on your merry way, why threaten to throw us off the ship? I know your carryon they will take any liquor..

Here is a thread on the NCL board about scanning all of the checked luggage. Yes they do it and yes they pull it when they feel that there may be alcohol in the luggage.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=385191

Simple. Birth certificates or passports. You have to have one or the other.

I just came back from AOS on July 16th and they are getting stricter with regards to alcohol. We sailed from San Juan and there is a duty-free liquor store after you pass through security. I bought 2 bottles of wine and placed them in my backpack. When we went to get on the ship, there was another x-ray machine and they tried to take my wine away from me. I asked to speak to a supervisor and they ended up letting me take my wine with me. Now my husband bought a bottle of Johnnie Walker and put that in his backpack, he did not get caught, but I did. Our bags were going through the x-ray machine at the same time. So I guess it depends on how much the Royal Caribbean employee is paying attention to the x-ray machine. I am going to assume that now their policy is to confiscate any liquor, but sometimes you can get lucky.

Archived