Suppose Princess had a third list

serene sea

And btw, doesn't a name like PrincessCrewGirl sound pretty biased to begin with?:D :D

I think I'd only be biased if I had not also worked for Carnival (2 contracts), NCL (1 contract - more than enough), Disney (don't even go there), and RC (2 contracts) :rolleyes: . I've said in another post that I actually am very unhappy with Princess as an employer since Carnival took over and have now 'retired' from life at sea, but it's still the only cruise line I would ever consider sailing on. :)

I guess a better comparison would have been if different drivers crashed the same make/model of cars.....which still happens thousands of times a year. Unless a Princess ship lists every couple of weeks, I'm still sailing.

Things do happen...but I dont know how a drunken honeymooner or person intentionally or accidentally falling overboard can be compared to a ship being turned to the extent that pax's and crew are injured. The person falling overboard is a one person show...the 2 list incidents that PCL has had have been titled "human error".....If the refrigeration system had broken down because the kitchen staff didnt know how to correctly program it and pax's got food poinsoning on a couple of cruises..I would have to suspect that the crew was not trained enought on the system..and it was called human error....I am sure there would be a fix for it....I believe that PCL needs to find a fix for this problem, which I am sure they are doing. The liability issue greatly increases with each incident as a concurring problem continues.

Will I cancel my cruise in Nov on The Grand over this....NO...but if a couple more of the same incidents happen on this class ship....YES...I would have to sit down and consider the risks.

If.... and a big one at that, it occurs whereby a ship has a hard list during a hard turn, intentional, unintentional or otherwise, on the same (Grand) class of ship, would give me great pause for sailing on that class of ship.

First, lessons should have been (and maybe were) learned about the Grand U-turn and it's effects on passengers primarily, and the ship's resulting condition.

Second, we have a human error, resulting in a similiar list during a hard turn, with resultant passenger injuries, and the interior of the ship being littered with debris.

Now, you can bet very big money that Princess is jumping all over the root cause analysis, trying to figure out what training, what system, what design, what operational procedure, or anything else or combination of these, contributes to the conditions to bring forth such an event.

That being said, a third event of this nature, would speak volumes that the problem is not understood, and poses a hazard to passenger safety.

The insurance carriers would probably make this all a moot point, by pulling the risk insurance until this type of occurence was remedied to their satisfaction. (Might actually be in that process now.)

Lastly, another problem like this will tank the cruise lines' reputation. And with the billions of dollars at stake, no CEO or board of directors is going to let that happen.

We all hope this has happened for the last time.

(It better not, as I am getting on a Princess ship in 4 days!)

If.... and a big one at that, it occurs whereby a ship has a hard list during a hard turn, intentional, unintentional or otherwise, on the same (Grand) class of ship, would give me great pause for sailing on that class of ship.

First, lessons should have been (and maybe were) learned about the Grand U-turn and it's effects on passengers primarily, and the ship's resulting condition.

Second, we have a human error, resulting in a similiar list during a hard turn, with resultant passenger injuries, and the interior of the ship being littered with debris.

Now, you can bet very big money that Princess is jumping all over the root cause analysis, trying to figure out what training, what system, what design, what operational procedure, or anything else or combination of these, contributes to the conditions to bring forth such an event.

That being said, a third event of this nature, would speak volumes that the problem is not understood, and poses a hazard to passenger safety.

The insurance carriers would probably make this all a moot point, by pulling the risk insurance until this type of occurence was remedied to their satisfaction. (Might actually be in that process now.)

Lastly, another problem like this will tank the cruise lines' reputation. And with the billions of dollars at stake, no CEO or board of directors is going to let that happen.

We all hope this has happened for the last time.

(It better not, as I am getting on a Princess ship in 4 days!)

Well thought out....very well expressed....shows reasoning based on Princess-cruise-loving emotion tempered with logic.

With so many 'experts' out there, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned that what the Grand and Crown suffered was actually heel, and not list. List is a movement of the ships position of equilibrium due to the movement of weights ie. ballast or cargo. Heel is due to external forces ie. wind on the beam, or heel due to turning. So from now on it should be 'The Crowns heel'!!!:p

With so many 'experts' out there, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned that what the Grand and Crown suffered was actually heel, and not list. List is a movement of the ships position of equilibrium due to the movement of weights ie. ballast or cargo. Heel is due to external forces ie. wind on the beam, or heel due to turning. So from now on it should be 'The Crowns heel'!!!:p

I stand corrected.:cool: What is it called when most of the passengers are against the outside wall of a turn and a good portion of the non bolted down items are joing them in a rapid fashion? Listed(blistered) heel?

Or maybe the heel caused the list.....Whatever it is called....yikes, am I glad I wasnt on board.

Funny someone should mention "if someone else disappeared from an RCCL ship" because it appears that someone else HAS. A 22-year-old girl from Voyager of the Seas somewhere off the coast of Italy. No details seem to be available yet except that it happened during the night.

Would any of these incidents keep me from sailing again? Absolutely not. I feel less safe driving around my own neighborhood than on a cruise ship.

Oh no, not someone else. That's horrible. I have to admit that I thought about someone going over the side with every drink on my last cruise. I was not traveling with Gene (husband) and while Carol is great we did not hang out as muc as I do with my other half. The thought that no one would miss me, maybe for hours, kept me mostly sober.

Archived