Island Explorer Service in Bar Harbor

imacruizer

Could someone please give more information about the Island Explorer in Bar Harbor. As I understand it, the Island Explorer is a free bus service in the area. What dates will the service be available? Is there a stop near the pier? Does the bus go through the Arcadia National Park? How long does it take to go from the pier through the National Park and back to the pier? What is the entrance fee for the National Park? How do you know which bus to take? Would you recommend using this bus? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Here’s the Island Explorer home page: http://www.exploreacadia.com/index.html ; bus #3 does the park loop road.

You can pick it up at BH’s town green; a short walk from the dock.

From another BH thread, IE runs until 10/9.

According to the schedule, it takes 50 minutes to do a complete loop; but you could get off at any stop and wait for a later bus for the return trip. #3 buses run every 30 minutes.

Be aware that the IE does NOT go up to the top of Cadillac Mountain.

If you take the park loop bus, you will have to pay the park entrance fee.

SBtS

Hum I see what you are saying about the $20 - I think that is per group - I've always known that it was $5. per person or a season pass for $40 (we always do the park in April before there are any fees) and I have a license plate (conservation/resource) that allows one free visit per car per year during "tourist season".

Perhaps someone else has a better answer. Jan

Jan, we will be in Bar Harbor on Sat 10-21 on the QM2. We were there 3 years ago and enjoyed the ride with Olly's Trolley. Since the free bus isn't running that late, what would you suggest besides lobsters and blueberry pie? I think it's too late for whale watching...they have headed south by then...

The Island Explorer site mentions that last year L.L.Bean gave a grant to extend the free shuttle to mid-October. Perhaps they'll repeat their munificence this year? I hope so - we arrive two days after the shuttle stops!!

Debbie

The link didn't say anything about 2006 but like you, I am hoping they run through part of October, we won't be there until 10/17. And if lobster and blueberry pie is all I can get, I'm good with that! ;)

Last year they (bus) ran until around the 10th of October I believe. (Columbus Day weekend) If anyone hasn't done the park loop/mountain that is a must - even if it is with a ship tour. The link below is for Oli's Trolley for anyone that doesn't have it.

http://www.acadiaislandtours.com/

I really don't have any other suggestions for that time of year - but if I find anything, I'll let you know.

If you are 62 or over and a US citizen you can purchase a Golden Eagle Passport which gives you free entrance to all national parks. I think it costs about $25 and is good for everyone in the car. This is good for life. We bought ours in Alaska last year. We plan to use ours when we visit Acadia NP in September.

Archived