Visa for Turkey

We are booked for a cruise on the NCL Jewel and will end in Istanbul on September 15, 2006. We will be staying two nights in Istanbul before flying home to Canada. Since we are only 6 weeks from the trip, I do not want to send my passport to Ottawa to obtain the Turkish visa in case it takes longer to process. Is it for certain that I can purchase the visa on board the Jewel? Does anyone know how much it costs for Canadians?

Thanks so much! :)

We will be on the NCL Jewel on October 9 leaving from Istanbul to Barcelona. I have asked the same question about Turkish Visa on our roll call but have received no reply. I guess we both need some help from other CC who have been through the airport or port in Istanbul to help us.

My husband would not want us to send away our passports to Ottawa for the Turkish visa for fear of not getting them back on time. We will be leaving late September to Paris, then a train trip with my sister to Rome before this cruise.

This is my eleven cruise but first time to Europe. I do feel like a fish out of water and could use as much help as possible to ease my anxiety.

Turkish entry visas good for 90 days, can be purchased at the Turkish border (when we disembark at Izmir, most likely), for $60 USD CASH per Canadian. There is no foreign exchange, and they don't take credit cards.

I think it's $20 per person for US Citizens.

I read someplace that if you are not overnighting in Turkey a visa in not required.

Not sure factual the info is

Here is a site with the rates etc..http://www.mfa.gov.tr/MFA/ConsularInformation/ForForeigners/VisaInformation/visafees.htm

I am hoping cc who have already been through airport or cruise port in Istanbul will reply to the visa question.

I have read on the Turkey web site that cruisers who are arriving by ships and not staying more than 24 hours would not require a visa. But our ship, the NCL Jewel will leave from Istanbul and we will be arriving by air.

If you are on a one-day visit at a Turkish port and disembarking and returning to your ship the same day, you do not need a visa. If, however, you are entering Turkey to board a cruise ship or departing from a cruise ship via Turkey, you WILL need a visa. How you obtain one can be either easy or difficult, depending on how you want to handle things.

If you're flying into Turkey (Istanbul, most popularly), you can purchase a sticker to insert into your passport for $20 USD. You simply purchase at the customs window at Ataturk International Airport when you disembark from your plane.

If you're flying out of Turkey, it's an altogether different matter. Turkish customs comes aboard your cruise ship before the gangplank is dropped to make sure that everybody has a visa sticker in their passport. If you don't have a sticker, you're not getting off the ship! You can let the cruise line obtain one for you at a 100%+ markup, or you can buy one ahead of time through your local Turkish embassy or consulate for $26 ($20 for the sticker, plus a $6 handing fee). You don't even need to send them your passport - they'll send you the sticker by mail.

Turkish customs comes aboard your cruise ship before the gangplank is dropped to make sure that everybody has a visa sticker in their passport. If you don't have a sticker, you're not getting off the ship! You can let the cruise line obtain one for you at a 100%+ markup, or you can buy one ahead of time through your local Turkish embassy or consulate for $26 ($20 for the sticker, plus a $6 handing fee). You don't even need to send them your passport - they'll send you the sticker by mail.

The Turkish Embassy in Ottawa says (repeatedly), that the sticker can be obtained in cash at any point of entry, including the Port...and that you do not have to have one before you arrive.

The Turkish Embassy in Ottawa has confirmed in writing to me that a tourist visa is not required for cruise ship passengers who do not stay in a port less than 24 hours.

If you are planning on staying more tha 24 hours a tourist visa is required, which is valid for 90 days. These can be purchased at any port of entry. The easiest is when arriving at an airport. The airline supplies you with the necessary form which you complete and present to Customs/Immigration.

The cost quoted was $60 US for non U.S. citizens.

Hope this helps.

Canadians have to pay more for a visa ($60 USD or 45 Euros) due to Canadian "hospitality" (Canada charges Turkish visitors $75 for visa to enter Canada, and Turkey reciprocates in kind).

But I can't complain - we ran into a similar punitive pricing scheme when we tried to get visas for our recent trip to Russia and found out that they charge Americans $125 for the privilege of pumping money into their local economy. :rolleyes:

I know the OP is inquiring about a visa for Canadian citizens.... but for those US Citizens reading this post; be advised that the Visa stamp went up to $26 (US dollars only) the first of this year. However, it seems to be a hit & miss thing at the airpot. According to posters on the TripAdvisor boards, most are only being asked for $20 USD (as was I in April). But the "official" cost of the stamp is now $26.

To consolidate some of this information into a single post:

- Visa is available at every point of entry, including the port, and is valid for multiple entry over 90 days.

- Cash only

- $20USD for US Citizens, and $60USD for Canadian Citizens

----------------------------------------------

- Visas are available from the local Turkish embassy (may take some time)

- Alternate payment methods available

- $20 + $6handling = $26 usd for US citizens and $75 usd for a single entry, or $150 for multiple entry over 90 days.

Those who are going first to Ephesus and then to Izmir may be able to purchase their sticker at Kusadasi or Izmir, thus saving time upon arrival in Istanbul.

(Respectfully) there have been posts on the TripAdvisor boards who say they have been charged 26 USD for the visa at Ataturk Airport.

With equal respect, www.turkishembassy.org (the official turkish embassy website) says at http://www.disisleri.gov.tr/MFA/ConsularInformation/ForForeigners/VisaInformation/visafees.htm

that the fees for 2006 are $20 for US and $60 for Cdn.

If people were charged $26, then they were ripped off, and hopefully got a receipt. They should complain.

Print out the page above, and it shows quite clearly what the fees are AT THE BORDER.

Thank you to all the replies re Visa for Turkey. I will be putting aside $120 US for 2 Turkish Visa for DH and I.

We may need to talk to Mr. Harper about reducing the Canadian Visa for Turkish Nationals, so they will reduce ours to enter their country. Three times as much as US nationals are a bit much!

Any info on cheap air from Rome to Istanbul? We will be taking a train from Paris to Rome, then fly to Istanbul for the cruise.

It will only be for one way as the cruise end in Barcelona.

If you are on a one-day visit at a Turkish port and disembarking and returning to your ship the same day, you do not need a visa. If, however, you are entering Turkey to board a cruise ship or departing from a cruise ship via Turkey, you WILL need a visa. How you obtain one can be either easy or difficult, depending on how you want to handle things.

If you're flying into Turkey (Istanbul, most popularly), you can purchase a sticker to insert into your passport for $20 USD. You simply purchase at the customs window at Ataturk International Airport when you disembark from your plane.

If you're flying out of Turkey, it's an altogether different matter. Turkish customs comes aboard your cruise ship before the gangplank is dropped to make sure that everybody has a visa sticker in their passport. If you don't have a sticker, you're not getting off the ship! You can let the cruise line obtain one for you at a 100%+ markup, or you can buy one ahead of time through your local Turkish embassy or consulate for $26 ($20 for the sticker, plus a $6 handing fee). You don't even need to send them your passport - they'll send you the sticker by mail.

Where can I get information on getting visa sticker without sending my passport. Everything I've been able to find, says you nedd to send passport along with application.

Thanks Renee

Where can I get information on getting visa sticker without sending my passport. Everything I've been able to find, says you nedd to send passport along with application.

Thanks Renee

Depending on your passport type and place of residence, you might be eligible to use the Turkish government's online visa application form here:

http://www.e-konsolosluk.net/Visa/Visa_Welcome.aspx

Can anybody tell if when disembarking from Royal Carribean Cruise Line in Istanbul, can you purchase a Visa?

It is available from ZVS.com for $55.00.(5 day wait), plus shipping. Also how long is it taking to do the $26.00, to send on your own?

Can anybody tell if when disembarking from Royal Carribean Cruise Line in Istanbul, can you purchase a Visa?

It is available from ZVS.com for $55.00.(5 day wait), plus shipping. Also how long is it taking to do the $26.00, to send on your own?

I believe you need to have the visa sticker in your passport BEFORE the ship docks in Istanbul in order for the ship to clear Turkish Customs.

If you need to mail it in to your local consulate or the DC embassy, give yourself a couple of weeks. Or drop by in person if you're in the area.

I believe you need to have the visa sticker in your passport BEFORE the ship docks in Istanbul in order for the ship to clear Turkish Customs.

If you need to mail it in to your local consulate or the DC embassy, give yourself a couple of weeks. Or drop by in person if you're in the area.

THis is 100% not true.

You can buy the sticker AT the port, upon arrival. Please read the prior messages in this thread.

Last week, we went to get our visa at the Embassy in Ottawa, since we live in the same city. It was a fairly quick process; brought our passports and 75$ pp CAD and we were able to pick it up the next day with stickers in place. Nice to have it out of the way.

THis is 100% not true.

You can buy the sticker AT the port, upon arrival. Please read the prior messages in this thread.

That's what we were [mis]informed of by embassy personnel. However, to facilitate our ship's arrival, all passports had to possess a valid visa sticker PRIOR to disembarkation in Istanbul.

Just a friendly warning to those who might be relying on similar "official" information.

Archived