Visa for Turkey

drwong..........from your previous message I gathered that at one time you did disembark in Turkey and didn't have a Visa, but were able to obtain one at the port. If so, exactly how was the procedure to obtain one, how much did it cost you, how long did it take and how long ago was it? One more thing what cruise line?

Thanks,

Carol

drwong..........from your previous message I gathered that at one time you did disembark in Turkey and didn't have a Visa, but were able to obtain one at the port. If so, exactly how was the procedure to obtain one, how much did it cost you, how long did it take and how long ago was it? One more thing what cruise line?

Thanks,

Carol

Here's another thought....you should be able to obtain one in Izmir or Kusadasi, before arriving in Istanbul.

Pricing is contingent on your country of citizenship (for American's it's $20, and for Canadian's it's $60 USD. )

Thanks,

Carol

On our recent cruise on Oceania's Nautica, we disembarked in Kusadasi and simply walked off the ship and met our guide. We didn't have to show passports, visas, or any proof of identification for that matter! Had there been a manned customs booth to pass through, we probably would have bought a visa sticker at that time in anticipation of our arrival in Istanbul a few days later. Instead, we followed the embassy's advice, only to find a visa processing fee on our cruise account. When we protested the automatic charge, we were informed that Turkish Customs requires ALL passengers to have the sticker in place before they'll clear the ship to land.

The procedure arriving by ship is much different than arriving by air - if you fly into Istanbul to meet your ship, you can simply buy your visa sticker at the customs window at the airport when you present your passport.

On our recent cruise on Oceania's Nautica, we disembarked in Kusadasi and simply walked off the ship and met our guide. We didn't have to show passports, visas, or any proof of identification for that matter! Had there been a manned customs booth to pass through, we probably would have bought a visa sticker at that time in anticipation of our arrival in Istanbul a few days later. Instead, we followed the embassy's advice, only to find a visa processing fee on our cruise account. When we protested the automatic charge, we were informed that Turkish Customs requires ALL passengers to have the sticker in place before they'll clear the ship to land.

The procedure arriving by ship is much different than arriving by air - if you fly into Istanbul to meet your ship, you can simply buy your visa sticker at the customs window at the airport when you present your passport.

I spoke to THREE different people at the Turkish Embassy, and ALL assured me that you have the ability to purchase stickers AT every point of entry (I explained I was coming in on a ship).

What are they going to do....make us stay ON the ship? :rolleyes:

I spoke to THREE different people at the Turkish Embassy, and ALL assured me that you have the ability to purchase stickers AT every point of entry (I explained I was coming in on a ship).

What are they going to do....make us stay ON the ship? :rolleyes:

Yup, I received the same misinformation from the Embassy. Perhaps in order to ease processing, the passports are reviewed en masse onboard in the Purser's Office instead of inspected one-by-one as passengers disembark. On a 3,000 passenger ship, that could save a lot of time. (See, the opening scenes of the Marx Brothers' "Monkey Business").

If you don't have the sticker, they won't make you stay aboard - instead, the cruiseline will "fine" you by charging you an outrageous visa processing fee for a simple $20 sticker. Save yourself the headache and the $100 by buying the visa sticker in advance for a $6 handling fee, either through the embassy or consulate. Or you can take your chances and save the fee by buying it in Kusadasi (that it, if you can break away from the ship's tour).

I have a letter confirming in writing (from NCL) that (and I quote) :

"Those guests ending their voyage in Istanbul, the ship will obtain the Turkish visas on their behalf and charge the guest's onboard account accordingly.

The following rates apply and are subject to change:

USA $20

Canada $60 " (end quote).

So as you can clearly see, there is no additional charge from the cruiseline.

I have a letter confirming in writing (from NCL) that (and I quote) :

"Those guests ending their voyage in Istanbul, the ship will obtain the Turkish visas on their behalf and charge the guest's onboard account accordingly.

The following rates apply and are subject to change:

USA $20

Canada $60 " (end quote).

So as you can clearly see, there is no additional charge from the cruiseline.

That's very kind of them - it's too bad Oceania didn't extend the same courtesy to its guests. :(

• 1 year later...
Thank you to all the replies re Visa for Turkey. I will be putting aside $120 US for 2 Turkish Visa for DH and I.

We may need to talk to Mr. Harper about reducing the Canadian Visa for Turkish Nationals, so they will reduce ours to enter their country. Three times as much as US nationals are a bit much!

Any info on cheap air from Rome to Istanbul? We will be taking a train from Paris to Rome, then fly to Istanbul for the cruise.

It will only be for one way as the cruise end in Barcelona.

As I will be in Ottawa the end of July for a family reunion, I figure it'll be easier to just go to the Embassy and apply for my Visa...I would never mail in my Passports. There may or may not be a line up at the airport but will many planes arriving on the same day; I'll rather get it prior to my flight.

When you arrive by air in Istanbul, you are not required to purchase a visa if you leave by cruise ship. Collect your luggage, take a taxi to your hotel, stay in Istanbul, board the ship and enjoy your cruise.

Some useful info for any UK passport holders.

The Turkish authorities charge £10 per person for the 'visa' but they will not take a £20 note for 2 people. They will take a £20 for 1 person, but not give any change! :rolleyes:

When you arrive by air in Istanbul, you are not required to purchase a visa if you leave by cruise ship. Collect your luggage, take a taxi to your hotel, stay in Istanbul, board the ship and enjoy your cruise.

I just talked to the Embassy in Ottawa; they said we do need a Visa when arriving by air and staying one night in a hotel before boarding our ship. To apply in Ottawa for a Visa for Turkey, you have to bring $75 per person in cash, photo and filled out application form (printed out from their website).

I think that is incorrect

If you arrive or depart by air you NEED a visa

IF you arrive & depart by ship (same day) you do NOT need a visa

I am hoping cc who have already been through airport or cruise port in Istanbul will reply to the visa question.

I have read on the Turkey web site that cruisers who are arriving by ships and not staying more than 24 hours would not require a visa. But our ship, the NCL Jewel will leave from Istanbul and we will be arriving by air.

You can buy a visa at Istanbul airport before going through immigration. I think it`s $20 and lasts 90 days.

Archived