Review: Infinity To Alaska: July 16-23. 2006

many cruises

Peter,

So why did they increase the compensation? seems strange!

I really don´t know!

we were very much surprised but pleased on last Sturday of our cruise.

I read on these boards that two people from the Miami headquarter came onboard the ship to hear about the complaints from passengers. I suppose, it´s therefore.

I didn´t see these people nor have I heard about them while being onboard the ship.

Peter

Thank you for taking the time to post. I recently planned a 2007 AK cruise, and did not even consider X. Even though I've sailed X twice, and know that problems can happen on any line / ship, I wasn't confident enough to trust my AK vacation to X.

Welshlady & PeterGrebe: We heard that Celebrity increased the compensation to $700.00 per stateroom for the SUITES. The other staterooms apparently received $500.00 compensation. I'm sorry, but I don't consider the onboard credit amount for a future cruise as compensation, because after this cruise fiasco I don't think we'll be cruising on Celebrity again.

Hope all your future cruises are wonderful!

Hi Cheryl

Seems not even Peter knows why they increased the compensation - do Celebrity??!! He had a Concierge Class cabin same as ours, different weeks cruise but there is no consistency in the amounts. $500 or $900 doesn't make me feel any better for a spoiled, long waited for holiday (and honeymoon too). I'm just waiting to hear from Celebrity and my travel agent now to see what they say....I'm not holding my breath!

• 2 weeks later...

I would have preferred Celebrity cancelling the ill fated July 16-23, 2006 Infinity cruise because of the "pod problems". Then we would have been given the opportunity to take our (first & probably only) cruise to Alaska, and actually see Alaska, along with experiencing "the Celebrity treatment". I would have gladly accepted the refund and the free cruise so I could reschedule my vacation. Then I would have received the product that I paid for. This would have inconvenienced passengers and temporarily made them angry, but in the long run, it would have stopped the negative opinions about a company that advertises a totally different cruise experience. It would have given Celebrity a chance to give us the product we paid for.

Then they would've more than likely had to 'cancel it' that Saturday or Sunday ...as I believe that's when the extent and depth of the problems were actually realized. Had they cancelled it then, you (along with 1900 others) would've been stuck in Vancouver without hotel reservations and scrambling for return flights.

Sorry you had to endure the hassle, but as far as them canceling the cruise... it's water under the bridge now. Perhaps their response will be more to your liking. Good luck.

Then they would've more than likely had to 'cancel it' that Saturday or Sunday ...as I believe that's when the extent and depth of the problems were actually realized. Had they cancelled it then, you (along with 1900 others) would've been stuck in Vancouver without hotel reservations and scrambling for return flights.

Sorry you had to endure the hassle, but as far as them canceling the cruise... it's water under the bridge now. Perhaps their response will be more to your liking. Good luck.

Thanks for your comments. Celebrity's letter to us stated the "pod problems" started on Friday before our cruise. Our ill fated cruise didn't start until Sunday, July 16, 2006. We should have been given some other options...cancelling...future cruise credit, etc. We weren't told anything until after our bags were checked in at Canada Place and we were entering the chaos at the exhibit hall in the convention center. Hopefully, Celebrity's response will be more to our liking.

Archived