What are your MUST HAVE pictures?

pampaul

I bring large size zip lock baggies that I label with the name of each port we are in so that I can place all postcards, menu receipts, and anyother keepsake I want. It makes it so much easier to gather the items with the pictures when I get ready to scrap the trip. :)

I bring large size zip lock baggies that I label with the name of each port we are in so that I can place all postcards, menu receipts, and anyother keepsake I want. It makes it so much easier to gather the items with the pictures when I get ready to scrap the trip. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'll always take a ton of pix of the ship...all the common areas, the decks, etc so I can remember it better...

We always try to get a picture of us on deck with the blue water, or an island behind us....

Another great pic is off the back of the ship of the trail of churned up water trailing behind it...Also try to get a picture of the funnel of the ship with the logo...

• 1 month later...

If your camera has a self-timer, a fun one to take with a group of people is to put your camera timer on and place it on the floor, then do a "group hug" with everyone's arms around each other, and looking down at the camera. Even more fun if you do it with a bunch of cameras all at the same time. Makes for a fun, goofy picture!

If you are travelling with a first timer....capture the look on their face as they are walking into their cabin for the very first time. Can be quite funny!

If you have a balcony.....put two cups of coffee on your table and take a picture of them with your two empty chairs and the vast ocean (and a sunrise, if you can).....or two glasses of wine at sunset.

On formal night - if you have a friendly group at your dinner table - take pictures of the couples and then take "partner swap" pictures (your DH with the person sitting on the OTHER side of him for example) so you can remember how much fun you had not just with each other but with the rest of your dining companions.

Another idea is, if your ship has a central atrium with some sort of artwork suspended in it, take a picture from the very bottom looking straight up, and (if you can) from the very top looking straight down. I did this on the Celebrity Equinox, which has large banks of glass elevators on either side of a 10+ deck atrium with a live tree suspended in the middle in a giant glittery "vase". AMAZING shots!

On shore, I love to take pictures of signs....funny traffic signs that you don't see at home, fun store names, prices of things (like beer at the little bar on the beach), and of course, a "welcome to..." sign if there is one. I also am an animal lover so if I see a friendly cat or dog on shore I always have to snap a picture.

Just a few of my favorite ideas!

Cathy :)

I'll always take a ton of pix of the ship...all the common areas, the decks, etc so I can remember it better...

A GREAT time to do this is to do a late-night "tour de ship", after all the bars have closed and the majority of passengers and crew have turned in for the night. You can wander around and take "ship" pictures that are unobstructed by people (or have just you or your travel companion in them). The dining room and other public areas are open, tidy and empty at that time of night so you can snap photos of everything looking its best (no people, tables empty, chairs in place, etc)....the kind of pictures you see in the brochures!

Up on the pool deck at night, all the deck chairs are neatly lined up and the walkways are clear....makes for some very nice shots. If you want some nice daytime pool deck pictures, go up there on disembarkation morning after breakfast. It's usually pretty empty, and all nice and neat ready for the next group of passengers to board.

Cathy :-)

I agree - take pictures of everything. You can always delete them later or save them on your computer and just print the specials!

I went on my first cruise last year and I took pictures of everything that I thought was beautiful on the ship: the staircase, lounges, chapel, theater, etc.

I also made sure to get plenty of pictures of us on the topside: against the railings, in front of the sunset, etc.

You want to be able to remember your cabin - especially if it is a nice one! We were unexpectedly upgraded to a suite on our cruise, so I wanted to takes lots of pictures because it probably wouldn't happen again - and the room was so beautiful!

Don't forget to take a picture of the people who helped to make your cruise special. I really wished that I had taken a picture of our cabin steward, Rafe. He really helped to make our trip wonderful and now I don't remember what he looked like - only that he was Philipino.

The ports: take pictures of everything that interests you. If you are like me, then you will look at them again and again.

Here's another idea I thought I'd share....

I was on Celebrity Equinox with a group of about 40 people last winter. Knowing that we'd be having a group get-together sometime after we got home, I came up with the idea to create a photographic "where on the ship was this?" game to play at the party, to find out how much we had REALLY noticed and remembered about the ship.

During the cruise I made sure to take a whole pile of close-up pictures of various unusual features around the ship - art pieces, light fixtures, tables, chairs, wall decor, interesting patterns in the flooring or drapery, sink fixtures in the public washrooms, etc, etc. All of these were close-up enough to show what the feature was I was photographing, but with nothing else in the picture to identify its location:confused:. For each one of these I also took a "farther away" shot, to show the exact location of that particular feature. Just taking all the pictures was great fun, and really got the creative juices flowing!

When I got home, I made up a slideshow of all these pairs of pictures - first the close-up, then the corresponding farther-away shot. I showed the slideshow projected onto the wall at the party so that everyone could see the pictures at the same time and guess the locations. Well the game was a hit!! We had a blast remembering all those little details about our ship, and some spirited arguments and debates broke out. It was quite HILARIOUS!! I'd recommend this idea to anybody travelling with a group.

(Important though - keep it a secret while you're on board, don't let on what you are doing except perhaps to one or two accomplices. The surprise of pulling this out at our post-cruise party greatly added to the fun!)

Cathy :)

• 3 weeks later...

I LOVE that idea. I'll have to remember that next July when I'm traveling with my whole family. We could play the game the following Christmas.

I traveled with my whole family last July, and got some fun pics of my BIL and 2 nephews. It was a really windy day, and BIL had me take a picture of him holding on to a pole with part of his body resting on a railing and his legs outstretched, so it looked like he was holding on to the pole to keep from blowing away. When his kids saw this, they wanted in on the fun. I got their pics with their dad holding their feet out of the shot.

I LOVE that idea. I'll have to remember that next July when I'm traveling with my whole family. We could play the game the following Christmas.

It was loads of fun! Be sure you take some pictures of the art pieces in the stairways and corridors.....see if anyone can remember which one they saw where..... :).

Take as many pictures as you can stand and bring them home to sort out later. Some of the best pictures I have taken on a cruise were "unplanned" shots. I have a picture on my desk of the pilot boat coming along side as we are leaving Ft Lauderdale that everything just worked out, the lighting, composition etc. I will see if I can track it down and upload a thumbnail for you. My wife likes to scrapbook after a cruise and I usually shoot 600-800 pictures on a cruise and then she pics the 100 or so that she likes and uses them. The rest I have on CD for future reference.

Take as many pictures as you can stand and bring them home to sort out later. Some of the best pictures I have taken on a cruise were "unplanned" shots. I have a picture on my desk of the pilot boat coming along side as we are leaving Ft Lauderdale that everything just worked out, the lighting, composition etc. I will see if I can track it down and upload a thumbnail for you. My wife likes to scrapbook after a cruise and I usually shoot 600-800 pictures on a cruise and then she pics the 100 or so that she likes and uses them. The rest I have on CD for future reference.

I agree...a digital camera gives you the freedom to take tons of pictures, so why not. I've got a relatively new camera that I am still getting used to, so I'll sometimes take a picture, quickly modify the settings a bit and then snap the same picture again, just because I'm not sure which settings are best in which conditions.

I would love to see that picture! :-)

Archived