Key West Pub Crawl?

SouthPhillyMichele

If this is something that you have to pay for, skip it. Spend the money on booze. Duvall street is long just walk up & down it yourself. If you are from South Philly, it won't be a problem. It's really very easy & probably more fun to do your own pub crawl.

The DSC is one of the more famous sayings about Key West. :D Having spent 4 days there over Memorial Day weekend...I would say there are a sufficient number of pubs that would make getting a drink in each one, moving onto the next, going up one side and down the other - chemically impossible...but you'd hava blast trying - won't say how you could handle the next day..tho... :o

Stick to Duval Street and you'll be totally happy - from sloppy Joes, to Margaritaville to Hogs Breath and everywhere in-between... :eek:

Did anyone get to the bar & restaurant owned by Kelly McGillis and her husband? If so was it good and where is it in relation to where the RCCL ships dock?

We didn't make it to Kelly's Place - ran out of time. On Duval Street, we did enjoy eating a lunch at Sloppy Joes, and dinners at JB's Margaritaville and a little hole in the wall called Awful Arthurs (a full plate of fried seafood, salad, tea and dessert, for two - less than $40). For fine dinning - we thought Mangoes was top notch (also on Duval Street). At lunch time, Sloppy Joes had live entertainment and a real lunch/party atmosphere - meaning: the place was packed....

I have heard that Irish Kevin's is the place not to miss on Duval St. We have not made it there yet. Our only visit was on a Dis cruise with the kids and we went to Margaritaville. Later in the day with the kids back on ship in programs we went to Hogs Breath, Sloppy Joes and a quick one ;) at Capt Tony's.

We plan on spending the weekend in KW over the 23-25th of July with out the kids so we should be more knowledgeable :rolleyes: on the bar scene after that trip.

Kelly McGillis's bar & restaurant has great food and a great staff. We spent a week there last year, and left the beach for cocktails at the outside deck one day. It is not too far from the pier, def. within walking distance. I don't know the streets name right now.

I'm a Jimmy Buffett fan, but I must advise that both the food and the margaritas are a lot better and less expensive at the Hogs Breath Saloon than they are at Margaritaville. It's also closer to where you'll dock (or where you'll get off the conch train), so have a burger before you start your "crawl." :D

My mom lives in KW and we spent 6 weeks there this winter. We have two favorite places to eat: El Siboney (see-bow-nay), for real honest-to-God Cuban food, Cuban customers, Cuban cooks and Cuban waitresses. Try the soup! (a taxi ride, but right in town).

And, about 6 or 8 blocks from the docks for a great place for drinks, oysters, great Conch Chowder and fish sandwiches (their hamburgers are the best I've ever eaten, but tell 'em to skip the chips!) is the Half Shell Raw Bar, at the Turtle Kralls. I doubt you'll be disappointed by either.

For fun, you might try "Amoco Chicken". The Amoco station on Roosevelt drive has a fried chicken joint attached which has great carryout. Go figure.

Lane

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Pub Crawl last August. The drink selection was usually limited to a can of mass produced domestic beer although a couple of the 5 or so stops offered a frozen rum drink. The tour guide had some interesting things to say, but the pubs were mostly off of Duval and our party of three felt that the overall atmosphere was that we were viewed as just a bunch of tourists being herded from place to place. We abandoned the tour with one stop to go and headed for the action on Duval. We received a free t-shirt for showing up. We met some nice people from all over the states too. We wouldn't do it again though and I imagine that you could probably have a better experience doing a little more internet research and coming up with your own crawl.

I lived in the Keys for 6 months and I loved that fried chicken. It is a true secret in the Keys that only the locals know about.

Of course, going to a gas station to eat while on vacation may be a little strange...

Thanks again everyone for the great ideas, and cool places to eat. I'm did cancel the pub crawl (got my money back) yeah! I'll use that money to do my own pub crawl... Then, if I decide I want a T-Shirt, I'll treat my self to one that I love!

Thanks Again

Michele

23 more days!!!!!!

Archived