HAL Changing Itinerary

lawyerrose

We and another couple had booked the Westerdam for March 18, 2007 which was going out of Ft. Lauderdale to HMC, Grand Turk, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. I'd even booked parasailing in HMC. Well, we just found out yesterday that for unexplained reasons, HAL has changed the Westerdam's itinerary to an eastern Caribbean one with the Westerdam going to HMC, Grand Turk, San Juan and St. Thomas. Quite a difference! I was disconcerted, to say the least. This itinerary is almost exactly like the one we just did in March of this year and we really wanted something different for next year. HAL already has the Zuiderdam going out of Ft. Lauderdale on March 17th doing the Eastern Caribbean . . . why would it have the Westerdam doing almost the same thing a day later???

I'm scared now to book any excursions, wondering whether they'll change things again. Is this common? This will be our first trip with HAL for both couples. I told my TA that I felt like I'd booked a trip to Paris only to be told, hey, we decided to take you to Rome instead! We're stuck with the time frame b/c my wife is in school and only has that week off. Plus there was that not-so-good review by that woman who took the Westerdam on a spring break cruise this year and said the service was lousy and the ship overrun with unruly kids!! I'm getting very nervous about whether we've done the right thing booking the Westerdam. Can anyone offer any explanations/reassurances???:(

Itinerary changes aren't uncommon...but they aren't the norm either. Most likely HAL had difficulties securing ports and decided to change it. It's really hard to say why exactly - only HAL knows the circumstances around that.

I haven't been on the Westerdam, but I can say I have experienced nothing but stellar service on HAL, and have never seen any ship 'overrun' with kids. When I think 'overrun', I think Carnival. Now, on HAL, some people's definition of 'overrun' could mean half a dozen or so - it's a very subjective term.

I guess what I am trying to get at is more than likely you will have an excellent time, though I agree, the itinerary change isn't the best way to start off.

If you're curious, hop on over to the Celebrity board and see what passengers on the Infinity have been dealing with with their Alaska cruise ports getting juggled around or cancelled entirely, or the pax. on the Constellation next April that had their caribbean sailing replaced with a transatlantic - and then had that cancelled. Or the Carnival Pride - supposed to be in Mexico, but strangely here in Vancouver yesterday due to tropical storms. Now that's quite a change of itinerary!

Itinerary changes aren't uncommon...but they aren't the norm either.

I guess what I am trying to get at is more than likely you will have an excellent time, though I agree, the itinerary change isn't the best way to start off.

If you're curious, hop on over to the Celebrity board and see what passengers on the Infinity have been dealing with with their Alaska cruise ports getting juggled around or cancelled entirely, or the pax. on the Constellation next April that had their caribbean sailing replaced with a transatlantic - and then had that cancelled. Or the Carnival Pride - supposed to be in Mexico, but strangely here in Vancouver yesterday due to tropical storms. Now that's quite a change of itinerary!

Atomica: You are so right about the intinerary changes on so many cruises, regardless of holding company.

I agree that things are really getting strange on many cruiselines. In the past, you could pretty much book a cruise and it was locked in concrete. Not so today. I've seen quite a few threads on several boards from frustrated cruisers about changes in itinerary, cancellations, and group bookings. And some of them have been on this board.

You may never get a satisfactory explanation regarding why HAL changed the itinerary on your cruise. Chances are if you contacted HAL three times, you'd get three different answers. This year there seems to be an uncommon number of chartered ships, and perhaps they are juggling itineraries around to compensate for the cruises taken off the schedule. Perhaps there were difficulties in scheduling.....for example, too many ships in Grand Cayman on that date.....or lost dock space or increased port fees or any one of a hundred other scenarios that translate into problems for the cruiseline. Or maybe the planets are out of alignment.

I'm sorry that your itinerary was changed like that. It's frustrating when you spend a lot of time researching, finally choose and commit yourself, and then find out you're not getting the product you ordered. I've been there myself. I hope you'll be able to live with the substitutions or find something else you'll enjoy better.

I can understand your frustration. We chose our cruise (HMC, Tortola, St. Thomas & Grand Turk) because we've not been to those islands. We've done the western, and really don't want to do it again. I'd probably never visit Grand Cayman on a cruise ship again, not after spending a week there. I think the people who decide how many ships can tender in on any given day have lost their minds. Twice we saw 9 ships and the place was a total ZOO.

I was just looking at cruise cal and noticed that there is one day where there are 3 ships at HMC (Nov). That's nuts. There's also several that have 2 ships. That's going to be another zoo.

I will say that we cruise becuase we love the cruising experience. Although I would hate to have my itinerary changed, it does seem to be something that happens quite often, which is why we now visit Grand Cayman as a land vacation.

I hope all this works out for you and you have a great vacation!

We and another couple had booked the Westerdam for March 18, 2007 which was going out of Ft. Lauderdale to HMC, Grand Turk, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. I'd even booked parasailing in HMC. (

Can understand your frustration but 'stuff happens' - that said, there is a bright side - at this time you can, I'm sure, switch your deposit to another itinerary. In fact you can probably get all your money back and switch to another cruise line.........assuming some other ship is doing an itinerary to your liking.

Talk to HAL or your TA and I'm sure something can be worked out. :)

Business has been not so great for the cruise industry. The hurricanes of last year, the Star fire and now the listing of the Crown have all contributed to a lot of empty berths compounded by high priced oil. Contributing to the empty berths also is an increase of prices from last year, which probably are being rolled back a bit and will continue to be rolled back. Keep your eyes open for bargain offerings. There probably will be a lot of them.

The shipping lines are doing what they can to save their profitability. If that means changing itineraries, they will do it. Carnival Corporation (the parent company) are experts at shaving a few pennies here and a few pennies there in order to make their ships pay.

Quite frankly, when we take a cruise vacation, it is not for the ports, but for the experience on the ship. We frequently stay on the ship while everyone else gets off. We enjoy the ship most at those times. It is quiet. There aren't lines at the Lido. It is pleasant being on the ship while it is at anchor or tied up at a dock.

As one poster said, there is lots of time to change your plans. There are lots of sales going on right now. You might end up with a bargain.

Roberta

Cruisecal is very good and accurate most of the time. I find that where they are wrong is when a ship has a schedule change and they don't delete the cancelled itinerary. I suspect that is why 3 ships are shown at HMC on the same day. I don't think it will happen.

We and another couple had booked the Westerdam for March 18, 2007 which was going out of Ft. Lauderdale to HMC, Grand Turk, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. I'd even booked parasailing in HMC. Well, we just found out yesterday that for unexplained reasons, HAL has changed the Westerdam's itinerary to an eastern Caribbean one with the Westerdam going to HMC, Grand Turk, San Juan and St. Thomas. Quite a difference! I was disconcerted, to say the least. This itinerary is almost exactly like the one we just did in March of this year and we really wanted something different for next year. HAL already has the Zuiderdam going out of Ft. Lauderdale on March 17th doing the Eastern Caribbean . . . why would it have the Westerdam doing almost the same thing a day later???

I'm scared now to book any excursions, wondering whether they'll change things again. Is this common? This will be our first trip with HAL for both couples. I told my TA that I felt like I'd booked a trip to Paris only to be told, hey, we decided to take you to Rome instead! We're stuck with the time frame b/c my wife is in school and only has that week off. Plus there was that not-so-good review by that woman who took the Westerdam on a spring break cruise this year and said the service was lousy and the ship overrun with unruly kids!! I'm getting very nervous about whether we've done the right thing booking the Westerdam. Can anyone offer any explanations/reassurances???:(

How did you find out Hal had changed your itinerary ???

Plus there was that not-so-good review by that woman who took the Westerdam on a spring break cruise this year and said the service was lousy and the ship overrun with unruly kids!! I'm getting very nervous about whether we've done the right thing booking the Westerdam. Can anyone offer any explanations/reassurances???:(

From what I read, there arent any ships that are lacking for kids during spring break - its just one of those things.

If you dont want to be over-run w/ kids, its not a matter of booking a different ship - its a matter of booking a different time...

I understand your frustration. Is there another HAL ship doing another iteniary around the same time frame? I can certainly relate to having to keep it in the same period as us working stiffs simply don't have a lot of luxury to switch time tables like the cruise lines love to do. I think I'd look at what's around because I would hate to do the same iteniary two years in a row.

As for the Westerdam review you talked of, I would simply put it aside really. Yes, some will have a bad cruise experience now and then but one person's bad review does not necessarily translate to "the truth" for everyone. I tend to look for trends rather than isolated bad reviews.

Kids? They'll be an issue on any line at that time of the year. Its the infamous March break and thus I have to agree with Brian above about the timing. Collateral damage for booking at that time of year.

If you can't change your cruise? Well, sit back and enjoy the ship and try to do things you didn't do the last time. The alternative is staying home and working which I would not recommend.

I can understand your frustration. We chose our cruise (HMC, Tortola, St. Thomas & Grand Turk) because we've not been to those islands. We've done the western, and really don't want to do it again. I'd probably never visit Grand Cayman on a cruise ship again, not after spending a week there. I think the people who decide how many ships can tender in on any given day have lost their minds. Twice we saw 9 ships and the place was a total ZOO.

I was just looking at cruise cal and noticed that there is one day where there are 3 ships at HMC (Nov). That's nuts. There's also several that have 2 ships. That's going to be another zoo.

I will say that we cruise becuase we love the cruising experience. Although I would hate to have my itinerary changed, it does seem to be something that happens quite often, which is why we now visit Grand Cayman as a land vacation.

I hope all this works out for you and you have a great vacation!

ok, please don't tell me the 3 ships are scheduled to be HMC the very end of November. I could look it up, but will let you tell me. LOL

We've been on the Westerdam twice - and had wonderful experiences each time.

However our cruises were longer and and not in the Caribbean. It's a beautiful ship and at that time the best of the Vista class. We haven't been on the new Noordam, which, from many reports, is even better, despite being able to accommodate more passengers.

The number of children generally is low on HAL but the numbers do rise during school vacations, but probably not as high as on other lines.

I agree it's disappointing when itineraries change. But it does happen, and usually for good reason, I believe.

Whatever you decide have a great cruise.

If it is any reassurance, we have sailed Christmas and spring break many times (due to our schedules as teachers) --- and yes there are more kids on board, but usually they are well behaved and kept busy by the HAL staff and with their families (such are the people that you usually find on HAL).

As to the change in itinerary, if that is true there is still plenty of time to find another ship, even on a different line if that works for you.

In my experience, there will be fewer kids on the R and S class ships than on the Vista class ships (like the Westerdam) -- another thing to consider.

We were on the Westerdam in June (sans any kids of our own), there were many kids on board, but we had no issues at all with kids. We had a lovely cruise on a very well kept ship. The staff was great. You should have a great time on the Westerdam.

ok, please don't tell me the 3 ships are scheduled to be HMC the very end of November. I could look it up, but will let you tell me. LOL

Three ships are scheduled to be on HMC Friday, the 10th (Amsterdam, Maasdam, Zuiderdam). I can't even imagine what a zoo the place will be. I've read that two almost overload the place, so you have to wonder what's the deal with three. But it could be the Amsterdam and Maasdam aren't as big as the Zuiderdam (passenger wise).

The 20th has two ships...the Westerdam and Amsterdam, and the 30th also has two ships...the Prinsdam and the Amsterdam.

After reading about the itinerary change for the Westerdam, I went to check out our day to see if there has been a change (and so far, there hasn't). I hope you're not there on the 10th.

If you are using cruisecal to determine how many ships are in port on a certain day, please bear in mind that cruisecal is not always accurate. For instance, it is showing HAL's Amsterdam as still going to Cozumel on December 31, when actually Amsterdam is now scheduled to be in Costa Maya that day. I know because that is our cruise itinerary which has been affected. (Our travel agent notified me about the change as soon as HAL told her.) So don't panic about three ships at Half Moon Cay yet!

Good luck everybody with your cruises!

Three ships are scheduled to be on HMC Friday, the 10th (Amsterdam, Maasdam, Zuiderdam). I can't even imagine what a zoo the place will be. I've read that two almost overload the place, so you have to wonder what's the deal with three. But it could be the Amsterdam and Maasdam aren't as big as the Zuiderdam (passenger wise).

The 20th has two ships...the Westerdam and Amsterdam, and the 30th also has two ships...the Prinsdam and the Amsterdam.

After reading about the itinerary change for the Westerdam, I went to check out our day to see if there has been a change (and so far, there hasn't). I hope you're not there on the 10th.

thank God no, I did just check about our itinerary: no chance so far: we are going to be in HMC on either Thrusday the 30th or Fri Dec 1st. Now I can't remember; senior moments here. NMnita

If you are using cruisecal to determine how many ships are in port on a certain day, please bear in mind that cruisecal is not always accurate. For instance, it is showing HAL's Amsterdam as still going to Cozumel on December 31, when actually Amsterdam is now scheduled to be in Costa Maya that day. I know because that is our cruise itinerary which has been affected. (Our travel agent notified me about the change as soon as HAL told her.) So don't panic about three ships at Half Moon Cay yet!

Good luck everybody with your cruises!

I was using cruise cal, and you're right, things do change. But can you even imagine what it will be like if there are three ships? Yikes....

guess i have been lucky ---on our celeb pan canal cruise they dropped belize and i dont even remember what was put in its place --since the rest of the cruise was exactly as booked it wasnt that much of a problem after the initial griping

can really appreciate your frustration on being told that the west carib is now the east carib--------------have you confirmed that with hal directly------------------what about another cruiseline making the same stops with the same sail date ---you have plenty of time to cancel and rebook

I was using cruise cal, and you're right, things do change. But can you even imagine what it will be like if there are three ships? Yikes....

It is beyond me understanding even 2 ships at once but 3: that would be my invatation to forget HMC and enjoy the ship. I would be disappointed, but never would I go to the island with 3 ships full of people. NMNita

I wouldn't either. And if we happened to be there when three ships were in port, I'd probably stay on the ship...

I just checked ours: 2 in port. I guess I can live with that, we really have no choice and I do love private islands. One of the most fun things on our last NCL cruise was their private island. I felt like I was back in high school and going to a beach party picnic.

Nita

If it is any reassurance, we have sailed Christmas and spring break many times (due to our schedules as teachers) --- and yes there are more kids on board, but usually they are well behaved and kept busy by the HAL staff and with their families (such are the people that you usually find on HAL).

In my experience, there will be fewer kids on the R and S class ships than on the Vista class ships (like the Westerdam) -- another thing to consider.

We were on the Westerdam in June (sans any kids of our own), there were many kids on board, but we had no issues at all with kids. We had a lovely cruise on a very well kept ship. The staff was great. You should have a great time on the Westerdam.

Agree with arzz..Believe there will be fewer kids on the R & S class , but at that time of year there are Kids on all ships..Also agree that the kids I've seen on HAL are very well behaved & kept busy in the Club Hal venue..

Hope you can find another cruise on HAL to your liking..Betty

I just checked ours: 2 in port. I guess I can live with that, we really have no choice and I do love private islands. One of the most fun things on our last NCL cruise was their private island. I felt like I was back in high school and going to a beach party picnic.

Nita

Well, you have such a positive attitude that I would bet you're going to have a wonderful time! :)

We've not been to a private island as of yet...so we are looking forward to hanging out in the cabana....and you're right...it does sound like the old days in high school visiting the beach and having a party...but ours were at lakes...no beach around here!

Archived