Scuba, Snuba, and Snorkeling in Cozumel Thread

dbrady

Has anyone done snuba in Cozumel? Who did you use and how was your experience? I am planing my upcoming trip and looking for some suggestions. I tried posting in the scuba and snorkeling forum bu have not received any response.

Snub is still available in three places that I am aware of:

1. Chankanaab Park adjacent to SeaTrek Helmet Diving

2. SeaSpace on R.E. Melgar half block north of Calle 11, very close to Punta Langosta and immediately next door to Jeanie's Waffle House

3. Villa Blanca area at SunSet Beach, operated by Sand Dollar Sports.

There may well be others.

Easy to book via Cozumel Insider: http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Snuba?From=Activities

You would think this is where you would read comments from dive operators instead of in fishing threads where they really have no interest or expertise.

I've not dove Belize, but have Cayman and Cozumel. Not in many years, but Cozumel was tops at that time. I don't think any of the areas you mention have excaped some hurricane damages to reef structures so given that, if the damages are equal, the best diving would still be in Cozumel.

I did my first ever shore dive with a friend and local dive master outside of Honolulu, the only place in Hawaii we dove. That was nearly 30 years ago. We saw a lot of fish, but not any colorful reef back then. It's really hard for me to compare any of the dive sites currently because I gave up diving all together about seven years ago.

I hope someone here has the answers you need.

Thanks for the reply. :) I've heard from others also that Coz is great diving.

Our last several dives have been in Hawaii--Some say Coz is better and others disagree. Any thoughts?

You can't really compare them directly as they are two different environments. Like most of the Caribbean, Cozumel has plenty of soft coral and sponges which are what gives most of the color underwater. Hawaii has little of the colorful soft coral, just lots of mono-colored hard coral. Hawaii does have lots of interesting fish and unique underwater topography.

Hawaii can have excellent diving, depending on the island. I believe that the Big Island has the best diving Hawaii has to offer.

Cozumel does have very good diving as well. It all depends of what you want to see and whether you want to do just about all your dives as drift dives or not.

Just a note from our snorkeling experience in Cozumel...

While we are avid divers, we cruised with my partner's parents who don't dive. While in Cozumel, we snorkeled at Corona Beach Club and it was AWESOME!

We had snorkeled at Paradise Beach in July, 2007 and were disappointed.

That was definitely NOT the case at Corona Beach Club!

If you are in Coz and want a great beach snorkeling spot, try it!

D.

Hawaii can have excellent diving, depending on the island. I believe that the Big Island has the best diving Hawaii has to offer.

Cozumel does have very good diving as well. It all depends of what you want to see and whether you want to do just about all your dives as drift dives or not.

Hi Bruce! We dove the Big Island and the "Forbidden Island" and both were awesome. We also dove in Kauai which wasn't as good but was still great! My husband is still a new diver and I am trying to make sure he has a good dive. Those first few trips are so important in the addiction factor. :)

If I don't get on it and get something booked we may not get to dive at all. Thanks for your help!

I booked a cruise on the Norwegian Sun departing January 25 going to Costa Maya and Cozumel. This our first cruise for me and my husband so we're both pretty excited! We were planning on snorkeling (first timers again) in Cozumel and exploring Mayan ruins in Costa Maya. However, I read somewhere that due to Hurricane Wilma, the coral reefs off Cozumel have been significantly damaged. Is this still true? If so, is it still worth snorkeling in Cozumel, and where are the best locations? We were thinking of booking the "Famous Fury Snorkel and Beach Party" excursion based on good reviews, so if you guys know about this excursion or any other good ones, or any advice at all for us first-timers, please let us know! Thanks :)

Just noticed that this is your first post in addition to your first cruise- welcome! DH & I had a wonderful Western Caribbean on the Sun 2 years ago. We love Cozumel, although we haven't snorkelled there (just lay on the beach!). You'll be able to get more info about Cozumel on the actual Cozumel Board- here's the link-Click here: Cozumel - Cruise Critic Message Boards

In addition to Message Boards for each cruise line, CC has Message Boards dedicated to specific ports (plus Roll Call Boards- but I'm not sure which cruise you're on- there are postings for a 1/28 and a 1/23 cruise?).

Have a wonderful cruise- it won't be your last! (and DH is Dear Hubby)

We also are on the Sun at the end of January but the cruise leaves New Orleans on the 28th. I have been looking for info on Cozumel scuba diving. From everything I have seen, they say the diving is great. Which means the snorkling will also be great. In June of 2005 we dove in Belize and the reef there was incredible. I would pick Belize if you are just going to snorkle once. If you want to do the ruins, try the tour with David and Ivan to Chachobben. We went with them and it was the most interesting tour we have ever had. My husband even found a piece of pottery in the ground and they let him keep it. I am really torn about our shore tours. I would love to see the ruins in Belize and dive in Costa Maya but the reviews are not so great for Costa Maya. Welcome to the cruise and I am sure you will have a good time. Check out the Scuba/snorkling thread in special interests section. Also check out the roll call for the Sun for that cruise.

Taking the Fury is a good idea. Either that or one of the other snorkle boat excursions. We preferred the snorkeling from a boat rather than snorkeling from shore. if you do decide to snorkel from shore you may want to consider Channakanaab Park.

I've been diving a while but I'm new to the combination of diving/cruising. Bruce, by all accounts you the resident expert so my question is this, with any of the shops you recommend are you familiar with any problems getting back to cruise shop before she sails?

I've been diving a while but I'm new to the combination of diving/cruising. Bruce, by all accounts you the resident expert so my question is this, with any of the shops you recommend are you familiar with any problems getting back to cruise shop before she sails?
I don't know that I'm really that much of an expert, but thanks all the same. No, I haven't heard of anyone having a problem getting back to the ship in time after going out with one of the dive shops I've mentioned. Most morning 2 tank dive trips start and end at the Caletta, which is the harbour just about all the dive boat use. It is a fairly short taxi ride away from the cruise piers. Most dive operators will be happy to get you a taxi back to the ship after diving. The dive trips usually get back between 1:00 and 2:00 pm. If you want to be able to dive your computer and not have a predetermined bottom time, you will want to go with one of the small boat operators, not the ship's excursion.

I don't know that I'm really that much of an expert, but thanks all the same. No, I haven't heard of anyone having a problem getting back to the ship in time after going out with one of the dive shops I've mentioned. Most morning 2 tank dive trips start and end at the Caletta, which is the harbour just about all the dive boat use. It is a fairly short taxi ride away from the cruise piers. Most dive operators will be happy to get you a taxi back to the ship after diving. The dive trips usually get back between 1:00 and 2:00 pm. If you want to be able to dive your computer and not have a predetermined bottom time, you will want to go with one of the small boat operators, not the ship's excursion.

Thanks for the info, and in my book you are the hands-down expert for cruise diving on these boards. I plan to take your suggestion and dive with Christi or Allison in Coz... previously I've used Aqua and some other?

But with that said do you know if either of them or someone else you could recommend does any cavern diving(not cave...not sure I even fully understand the difference)?

Princess offers a cavern dive excursion in Coz that sounds very intriguing since I have already dove numerous times in Coz...although I can never get enough diving in Coz.

And on a final note(thanks for your time)... and do you know any dive ops in Belize so I can avoid the cruise "bargains"...

I've contacted Hugh Parkeys but apparently they are contracted with Princess(who is floating my boat) and can't contract with me independently?

But with that said do you know if either of them or someone else you could recommend does any cavern diving(not cave...not sure I even fully understand the difference)?
The difference is that in cavern diving you can still see light from either the cavern opening or thru openings in the ceiling. In cave diving, there is no light other than from your flashlight.

Princess offers a cavern dive excursion in Coz that sounds very intriguing since I have already dove numerous times in Coz...although I can never get enough diving in Coz.
The cavern excursion takes place on the mainland. If you want more information, you want to search "cenote" . Since these dives take place on the mainland, I'd probably want to go with the ship's excursion. Coenote dives are unique to the yucatan peninsula, and I've read from several sources they are worth doing.

Thanks for the info. I'll check further into the cenotes.

Someday I hope to hear more about why you like BC diving so well, the drysuit in your pic tells me part of the story...

As you can probably tell I'm the WARM water type...love the freedom of skin

We want to snorkel in cozumel-thought maybe we'd do Chankanaab in the a.m., then on to Paradise Beach or Playa Mia-but it would be nice to make camp in one place. Do either of these offer decent snorkeling? Besides, I undertand Chankanaab is rough in the a.m.

thanks

Archived