Scuba, Snuba, and Snorkeling in Cozumel Thread

dbrady

Has anymore done carnivals sail and snorkel beach party? We will be in Cozumel on Dec 4th and were thinking about booking this tour for 6 people. Any information i should know about this tour? it sounds like a lot of fun:)

Hi.

Finally typing up my belated review of the Cozumel dive trip.

We were on the Carnival Miracle cruise, and got to Cozumel on Wed., Aug. 30/06. Hurricane Ernesto had made the ship change its itininary but we got to Coz the same day as originally schedule. Our time in port was changed from 8am - 5pm (local time, or ship time 9am to 6pm), to arriving 1 hr early (i.e. arrive 7am local time), while losing 1 hr port time at Costa Maya the next day.

We had booked a private charter with Blue Angel, with myself as the only diver and my wife, in-laws and friends (6 of them) all as snorkelers. I had met someone on the ship who was interested in diving. Ken brought his gear to the trip, but did not have time before the trip to research and make bookings. I told him Blue Angel had a 10am dive/snorkel combo trip, and he would be welcomed to follow us to Blue Angel that morning.

We tendered to Puerta Maya. My group got a van taxi, while Ken and his brother followed in another taxi. The ride was 10min. or less, for $14 + tip. We got there shortly after 8am. Although I had emailed from the ship about our changed time, that we’ll be in port 1 hr early, that did not get to the shop, because they were still expecting us for 10am. Anyway, my in-laws and friends wanted to rent wetsuits, and with their fitting and our filling out forms, it still took till almost 10am when we left. Ken and his brother were fortunately as there was another boat going out diving, so they didn’t have to wait for the 10am combo dive/snorkel trip, but rather they went out with all divers. Later on Ken did say they enjoyed the dives.

We had a fairly big boat. My DM was Mateo who was originally from Chicago, and had English name Matthew, but I guess in Mexico he adopted the name Mateo. The DM/guide for the snorkelers was Alberto. I read about the dive sites and liked to dive at Columbia Deep (further to the south), with a surface interval rest at a beach possibly at Palancar Beach, and the second dive at Palancar Gardens (north of Columbia). I got good help from Scuba board on the sites and relative distance beforehand. For the first dive, Mateo said we could be dropped off at Columbia Deep first, then the boat takes the snorkelers to Columbia Shallow. After that the boat can come back to pick us up. At Palancar Gardens we can both go down together. That sounded good, so we proceeded with that plan. I had also requested for 100cf tanks, to give more bottom. That was certainly worth the extra $5/tank.

I knew in Coz it was drift diving. Just before the cruise trip, we went to Rainbow River for drift diving/snorkelling and it was great. That was also a good prep trip for Coz diving, in open ocean water. But it was really nice to finally experience it in Coz. We went down to the first dive at Columbia Deep at about 10:40am. I wore 3mm full wetsuit with 14 lbs weight. Air temp was 85 and water temp was about 81, and 78 at bottom. The viz was excellent at 120’.

I saw a lot of hard coral, much more color than in Belize (the previous day), and more sand. There were many canyons, caverns and swim throughs. We saw green turtles, queen angels, arrow crab, horse jack, baraccuda, sarjent major, etc. We saw a lot of barrel sponge, sea fan, tubes. When I saw on the rented computer that we were at 99’ at one point, I wrote on my slate to show Mateo that I’d like to go just below 99’ for a bit then come right up. I wanted break 100’ as my deepest dive. He nodded, and off I went. Of course he kept a close eye on me, and I was able to say I went below 100’ (for a very short time :rolleyes: )

Before the trip I was concerned that in a dive/snorkel combo trip, especially with 6 snorkelers and just myself as the diver, the diving may be restrictive and I may not get as good diving. But with me at Columbia Deep and them at Columbia Shallow (supposedly to be shallow most of the way, and pretty), the diving for me was very good. We also came upon a big ship anchor. There was no ship wreck around, so I don’t know where this may have come from, but it was big. The reef looked quite healthy here, lots of fish, lots of colourful growth and changing landscape with many caverns and swim throughs for a diver to enjoy. Even though I was using a 100cf tank, I still was going through air fast. I had signalled to Mateo when I had 800 psi left and he nodded, no problem. When I signaled to Mateo that I had 500 psi left, he gave his alternative octo to me to breath and told me to hang on to him. I hadn’t expected that but it was very nice of him. We continue drifting that way for a while, including the 5 min. safety stop. While drifting, we continue to see the changing landscape and colors below. That was quite enjoyable. This dive lasted 43 min. This I would have to say, was my best dive ever.

After we surfaced, Mateo inflated his sausage. We didn’t wait for too long before the boat came to get us. My wife and friends had very good snorkelling too. It was the first time for my sister-in-law and her husband. (I took them to the pool for practice 3 times before the trip) They were smart to use a long noodle together, and were able to float/drift together. We then head for the Palancar Beach. After the boat stopped at a small pier. We got out, and instead of walking maybe 200 yards to the main beach where they are lounge chairs and other facilities, we actually just hang around near the pier. We played with water a bit. There was quite a bit of small mosquitos. I actually immersed in the water most of the time, in a way to enjoy water, but also to not be bothered by the mosquitos.

This surface break was close to an hour, then we headed north to Palancar. Palancar is a famous name in Coz for diving. For snorkelling/diving combo location, Palancar Gardens was recommended by many. For this dive, I tried with 12lbs of weight, thinking the last dive I may have a bit much. We went down at around 12:30pm for the dive, with the snorkelers followed right behind. This also turned out to be an excellent dive. We drift by walls, swam through caverns. Under one cavern overhang we saw a nurse shark. We kneel or lay on the sand and I tried to take a picture (too bad didn’t quite turn out). That nurse shark was about 8’ long. It was the first time I saw a nurse shark so I was quite happy. A bit later, in another cavern, we saw some small fish, and a very big black fish. Later on Mateo said it was a grouper. I didn’t know a black grouper can be that big, it was about 6’ long.

In the beginning I looked up and saw the snorkelers, but later on didn’t see them again. Later my mother-in-law said she saw me going into a cave (must be a swim through cavern), and had wondered hey what if he doesn’t come out. I told her I got lots of insurance, so don’t worry, her daughter will be happy :D When I got low on air, Mateo again gave his alternate air to me. I then hang on to the hose again and we drifted more by some walls, and the safety stop. While drifting in our safety “stop”, he pointed out a spotted eagle ray to me. The eagle ray was swimming away, elegantly. I thought the first dive at Columbia Deep was very good, but this dive at Palancar Gardens was again excellent. This dive lasted 56 min., with max depth at 75’.

The snorkelers also had a good time. I was happy for that, especially since I was the one arranging this private charter dive/snorkel combo. We headed for Paradise Beach to be dropped off. We thanked Mateo and Alberto and the captain (with a good tip). Paradise Beach was quite busy, with lots of people. We went to the restaurant, and ordered lunch there. The owner Tom Jensen was there and we said hi to him. He said there are 5 ships in port today, one probably got re-routed due to hurricane Ernesto (before the trip I remember seeing that 4 ships were supposed to be in port that day), and that’s why they were busy. Most of the lounge chairs were occupied, but we also saw people leaving.

Lunch was half decent. At the end of lunch, many people had left, and about half of the lounge chairs were empty. We could buy a $8 arm band and be able to use kayaks and other things, but we were all feeling a bit tired. My wife and I just lay on lounge chairs and rested for a while. A bit after 3pm, we got together and got two taxis to head back to the cruise terminal.

I felt these were the two best dives I’ve ever had. This is a place I’d like to come back for more diving in the future. Blue Angel was good to us, and we would recommend them without hesitation.

if it's run by the "Fury " catamaran group it will be great.have done it several times,be ready to party after snorkeling.i'll be there nov 4th on the inspiration.carnivals snorkel is at 9:00am which is a little to early for me to start drinking.i'm trying to book online for a noon start which puts you drinking around 2:00.they don't let you drink until snorkeling is done-good idea!! beach party is great

Middleager.

Great review!

I was wondering how much the cost was for diving/snorkeling?

How long was the total trip?

We are coming in on the Mircale 8am island time and still want plenty of time on Paradise Beach and to do some shopping.

Think it's doable?

There are only two of us snorklers but I'm checking with others who our role call who are doing a combo dive/snorkel to see if they may want to join us. Do you think this is a good idea or would it conserve more time to just go snorkeling alone?

Adrienne

We were diverted from Cozumel last year to Costa Maya after the storm. Some people that much of the reef is covered with sand and other people say the storm wasn’t a big deal. Since we are planning our next cruise for February I was wondering if anyone has dove both Costa Maya and Cozumel recently. We only plan on making one dive excursion and we are trying to decide witch one.

Thanks

You will get the BEST personal service with Eagle Ray Divers, in my opinion. They never get in a hurry and offer a 2-reef snorkel with snacks and drinks for only $50, and a 3-reef including lunch at a GREAT resort for $65. They make SURE you are having a good time and it's amazing how great their guides are. They know EVERY type of fish and other creature you may or may not see and always make sure that everyone is OK. You CANNOT go wrong with them. Antonio and Chellie own Eagle Ray and their guides are the BEST! Give them a try.... you will NOT be sorry!:D

We'll be sailing Thanksgiving week and my husband wants to drift dive in Cozumel. It appears that we can not book through Royal Caribbean at this time so I was wondering what experience anyone has had in the past with booking their own dive and what dive shops they would recommend.

I did do a seach and found some old post recommendations but would like the most current experiences. Thanks!

We'll be sailing Thanksgiving week and my husband wants to drift dive in Cozumel. It appears that we can not book through Royal Caribbean at this time so I was wondering what experience anyone has had in the past with booking their own dive and what dive shops they would recommend.

I did do a seach and found some old post recommendations but would like the most current experiences. Thanks!

I can't say enough about how good Troy is with his clients. He is quite familiar with working around cruise schedules and one of the better operators here, we feel.

Pelagic Ventures

http://pelagicventures.com/

I think most diving there is drift diving because of the current.
That is correct.

I'll also mention a couple dive operators you can check with. I can personally recommend my friend Christi's http://www.bluextseadiving.com Excellent customer service and great DM's. I'd also look at http://www.scubatony.com

http://www.scubawithalison.com consistently gets good reviews.

Thanks for the fast input - I'll check out both suggestions. I did read that the Palancar Reef was one of the choice dive sites. I think most diving there is drift diving because of the current. Will check it out.

You're right, it all drift diving and almost unique to Cozumel alone. Any dive operator can take you to Palancar Reef, just be sure you are matched up with divers of similar levels of competency. If you are relatively new or haven't dived in a while, let your dive operator know so they can help check you out and match you with the right kind of dive for your best experience. Underdoing it can be a disappointment and overdoing it can be a disaster. Do it right and have fun!

Thanks again for current info. Bruce-r - Christie's was recommended before and since you give her personal kudos will consider checking her out first.

Island Jim - also thank you for the experience level guidence. My husband is an advanced diver while my 21 YO son & I have done less dives. My 18 YO daughter will be a total newbie - taking classes as I type and getting her open water dive certification 2 weeks before we leave. She'll be doing that in a cloudy cold Arizona lake - so the pristine warm clear waters of Cozumel will be a real treat!

I did try to book through Royal Caribbean in advance on line and they said their on line excursions were full. They explained that they allow about 25% on line - but save 75% booking for when you board the ship. I still do not want to risk losing a chance to dive Cozumel so am assuming these operators can accomodate the cruise ship schedule.

Island Jim - also thank you for the experience level guidence. My husband is an advanced diver while my 21 YO son & I have done less dives. My 18 YO daughter will be a total newbie - taking classes as I type and getting her open water dive certification 2 weeks before we leave. She'll be doing that in a cloudy cold Arizona lake - so the pristine warm clear waters of Cozumel will be a real treat!

Those are three different levels. If they want to dive together, they will need to dive at reefs that your daughter can handle as a "newbie". To do otherwise would be risking her safety. It might not be a thrill dive for your husband but he may still want to share those dives with his daughter. To dive together you'll all need to dive where your daughter can stay with the group and not overreach her capabilities.

All Cozumel dive operators are safe I think so none is likely to let that happen anyway.

You folks have a good time.

I did try to book through Royal Caribbean in advance on line and they said their on line excursions were full. They explained that they allow about 25% on line - but save 75% booking for when you board the ship. I still do not want to risk losing a chance to dive Cozumel so am assuming these operators can accomodate the cruise ship schedule.
I think you will be better off going with a private operator. Since you have a group of 4 divers, so you could do a private charter and have the boat to yourselves. You'll also get to choose dive sites. Dive with Martin offers private charters for 4 divers, including rental gear, for $300. At least, that is what I'd do.

I think DH will still enjoy his dives at the easy dive sites and after one day of diving in Cozumel, you'll be planning a week long trip vacation there. At least, that is what happened to me.

I can tell you that Chellie just had a baby 2 days ago, so if it takes them a few days to get back with you don't worry......we snorkeled Santa Rosa Wall and 2 other reefs that weren't as deep and saw AMAZING things! I leave which reefs we snorkel up to the dive masters as it depends a lot on the weather and currents and they always know which reefs will produce the greatest adventure, so have complete confidence in them....they are AWESOME!!! Ask if you have any other questions.....you can also give them a call if you feel more comfortable booking that way.....if you go to their website and click on the "contact us" tab, their phone number is listed there....be sure to tell them that I recommended them to you, too, please.:D

Hello Desert Artist,

my family will be on a Thanksgiving cruise. There are three if us and we are new divers. If we are going to be in port on the same day maybe we can spilt a charter if you would like. Please let me know. We are going on the RCCL Enchantment of the Seas.

I contacted Alison a few days ago. We booked a last minute special and were checking to see if she had openings on Wednesday, November 22.

She said they had rented an extra boat and were still overbooked that whole week (I checked and there are 8 ships in port that day!).

I will check with another couple of operators, but it looks like it may be a beach/snorkle day <sigh>

Archived