Scuba, Snuba, and Snorkeling in Cozumel Thread

dbrady

Thanks for the clarification. We are both PADI open water certified . We never heard of it referred to as a "C" card - we just called it our PADI Certification Diver Card *duh* - I should have deduced so much :) The Royal Caribbean scuba excursion says you should have dived in the past 2 years - we thought maybe a C card had something to do with that.

they offer a 3-reef snorkel trip that is AWESOME and includes lunch at a local beach club and all drinks....not to mention the INCREDIBLE pesonal service......I just can't imagine a company offering anything better and if you check it out.....this other company is offering 4 reefs with drinks and lunch, but it says they take a 34 ft. boat that holds 40 people.....HAS to be a jet boat to get all the way to Cielo, Colombia and Palancar reefs, then catch Dzul Ha on the way back in 5 hours....as I said...sounds TOO good to be true....and to only charge $50???!!! I can't WAIT to get a reply to my questions.

I haven't snorkeled with them but I have been on a few dive trips with them and have nothing but great things to say. Their staff is very attentive and since they have small groups you don't have to be worried about being lost in the crowd!!

Have fun!!

CozInsider Jacq

HI. I'm really interested in snorkeling in Cozumel... but I am unsure of the condition of the reef since the hurricane. I'm sure it has had some time to improve... but I was looking for some recent experiences good and bad...

Most of all- I need to know- where did you go and was it good? There are lots of shore excursions offferd by the ship- some do beach snorkel while others name different areas of the reef... any help on which area is in the best condition would be great!

Thanks in advance for your help!

about a 10 minute taxi ride depending on WHERE you tender into....I would guess maybe $10 each way per taxi....and depending on how many share your taxi....they have vans and cars.....fares are posted somewhere...just can't recall...try Cozumel Insider. Tell Chellie that Suzanne says HELLO and that I will see her soon!:D

We did a snorkel and discover scuba trip with them in July. They were great. Aside from getting a late start once we were out on the water they were fabulous. The snorkeling guides were great and they were very attentive to the two 9year olds we had with us.

Hope this helps, have a great trip!

HI. I'm really interested in snorkeling in Cozumel... but I am unsure of the condition of the reef since the hurricane. I'm sure it has had some time to improve... but I was looking for some recent experiences good and bad...

Most of all- I need to know- where did you go and was it good? There are lots of shore excursions offferd by the ship- some do beach snorkel while others name different areas of the reef... any help on which area is in the best condition would be great!

Thanks in advance for your help!

I recently, 09/05, went snorkeling in Cozumel at Dzul Ha, (just north of Chankanaab park) after my two for price of one - Sept only-Atlantis submarine dive!

Me (40's Mum and my 8 yr daughter) snorkelled in the middle of a thunderstorm! We got out with close lightening strikes. We didn't get all the way out to some of the deeper snorkelling reefs (there are also diving reefs further out) and we were very limited in time.

We were the only ones in the water snorkelling. The fish came right up to us. I heard squeals of delight or fright through the snorkel from my daughter!:)

The reefs were in groups of boulder type formations (some in deep water and some in shallow) with small crevices, with the fish swimming in and out. Lots of beautiful fish. (sorry we didn't have a camera - it was a spur of the moment trip). There was one strong current in one section.

A local guy offered to take our photo for $10.00. He took us to all the small scattered reefs and knew how to navigate the current. I didn't worry about the photo and just gave him the $10, but I should have given him more if I had more cash on me. He wanted to take us out further but my daughter was freaking out with the lightning so close to us. (It was really close!:eek: )

I can't compare the reef as I have never been snorkeling on this reef before.

I got a map from www.cozumeldivemap.com which was really helpful and asked a taxi driver to take us there. It was $6 from the old Carnival pier (we tendered).

Anyway hope this helps. It was the highlight of my trip.

Hi there. .we will be on the Freedom of the Seas on 11/12 and my husband is looking forward to diving in both ports. He is fairly new and has had good training.

Can anyone recommend operators in either port??

In Cozumel my personal favoritea are Christi's http://www.bluextseadiving.com or http://www.liquidbluediving.com

I'd also be happy to try http://www.scubawithalison.com, who also gets excellent reviews, or http://www.scubatony.com.

If you want to go with him and snorkel, then look at Blue Angel who offers a combo trip that leaves a little later in the morning which is probably better suited to your schedule. Many cruisers seem to really like http://www.eagleraydivers.com and they also do the combo snorkel/dive trip.

In Grand Cayman, http://www.neptunesdivers.com is who I'd go with. Or I'd go the http://www.divetech.com and do a shore dive at their turtle farm dive site. Lots of people just walk a couple of blocks down from where the tenders dock in Georgetown to Eden Rock, but that really isn't the best diving that GCM has to offer. There are 2 nearby dive shops if you do decide to go there, but your DH will probably have better dives from a boat.

Oh, you might also like to read this essay I wrote about the pro's and con's of going with the ship's excursion for diving.

I recently, 09/05, went snorkeling in Cozumel at Dzul Ha, (just north of Chankanaab park) after my two for price of one - Sept only-Atlantis submarine dive!

Me (40's Mum and my 8 yr daughter) snorkelled in the middle of a thunderstorm! We got out with close lightening strikes. We didn't get all the way out to some of the deeper snorkelling reefs (there are also diving reefs further out) and we were very limited in time.

We were the only ones in the water snorkelling. The fish came right up to us. I heard squeals of delight or fright through the snorkel from my daughter!:)

The reefs were in groups of boulder type formations (some in deep water and some in shallow) with small crevices, with the fish swimming in and out. Lots of beautiful fish. (sorry we didn't have a camera - it was a spur of the moment trip). There was one strong current in one section.

A local guy offered to take our photo for $10.00. He took us to all the small scattered reefs and knew how to navigate the current. I didn't worry about the photo and just gave him the $10, but I should have given him more if I had more cash on me. He wanted to take us out further but my daughter was freaking out with the lightning so close to us. (It was really close!:eek: )

I can't compare the reef as I have never been snorkeling on this reef before.

I got a map from www.cozumeldivemap.com which was really helpful and asked a taxi driver to take us there. It was $6 from the old Carnival pier (we tendered).

Anyway hope this helps. It was the highlight of my trip.

Thanks- this really does help. I was worried that the reef was "sand covered".

Anyone else have any advice? We will be going in early December.

Will be in Coz 11/16 and planning on making this a beach day but would like to take the 2 hr snorkle trip from the pier at Paradise Beach.

Heard this is a good tour and goes to reefs offshore that were not as damaged from hurricane as those closer in.......

Has anyone been on this recently ? And if so - could you give short review ?? Many thanks.

Archived