Scuba, Snuba, and Snorkeling in Cozumel Thread

dbrady

The shallower reefs in Coz do show the effects more, but Tormentos still is teeming with marine life. The video in Coz was taken at Tormentos in Feb. of this year. Yes, the deeper sites seem to have benefited somewhat with some new swimthroughs and such. One other thing to consider is what time your in port. Most shops will leave for the morning dives between 8 & 9 and the afternoon around 1 and get back 4 - 4:30. When there in May on Ecstacy, we got in too late to catch the morning runs and left at 5 so the afternoon would have pushed the envelope a little. Ended up just snorkeling. A private charter would eliminate the timing problem. You'll have a great time on either island you choose. Finally, in Cayman, the Stingray City dive is awesome if you can work it in. It's only about 15 feet, but being able to stay under with 30 - 40 rays up close & personal is a fantastic experience.

Mike

http://www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

Several shops in Coz offer 100cf tanks and one offers 120cf tanks where their first deep dive is like the second dive from most other ops.

Ha, just noticed I said this wrong. When you can use a big tank, especially a 120cf, the second dive can be like the first deep dive in most other shops (with enough SI time).

Well, I seem to be the minority here. I love the diving in Cayman...but not Grand Cayman. I prefer Cayman Brac or Little Cayman. Just more to see everywhere. Here, it seems to be sandy bottom then coral...sandy bottom then coral. For walls, again I like Cayman.

Thanks for your input everyone!

I've set something up with Eagle Ray divers - liked the site and the quick friendly response. Solita, we are unfortunately not going to Cayman Brac or Little Cayman - maybe next time.

I wanted to do the same thing, but decided against it because of the time. We are instead going to Uvas beach, www.playauvas.com. They have shore snorkeling every hour.

Wow! I checked out their web site and it looks perfect. I'm wondering how good the snorkling will be since it's from shore. I'm going to do some more research before I book but I really appreciate the suggestion.

I hope you enjoy your cruise (and cruise planning).

Paradise tours will not be operating while we are in Cozumel which is the week of aug 20. I have found sand dollar sports and have gotten pricing from them (cheaper then going through the boat offcours).Has anyone used SAND DOLLAR SPORTS and could you share your story please. Thank you all in advance.

I have also been told that Cozumel is the best place to shop out of the ports we will be in. (Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize)

True or not?

Hello! :p I'm going to Cozumel in Jan., 2007 and I would like to go snorkeling. The only thing is that my husband is not a really good swimmer, (he barely knows how to swim):eek: and since I have never been snorkeling I would like to know if it would be a good idea for us to go snorkeling. I don't think that it would be a great idea if I book an excursion through my cruise, so I rather go do it on my own. Also, if there are any good beaches that have a combo of snorkeling, swimming, relaxing, and eating, please let me know. Thanks!

Snorkeling is very easy as long as you can float, breath through your mouth and don't mind having your face in the water.

There are several beaches where there is easy access to the water and decent snorkeling...from shore spots include Playa Uvas, Playa Azul, Dzul HaPalMar....deeper water sites at Chankannab& Coral Princess (ladder/step access)...you can rent equipment and get basic instruction at most clubs...

http://www.playauvas.com/eng/groups.asp

http://www.cozumelparks.com.mx/

http://cozumelmexico.net/Dzul_Ha.html

I have also used Eagle Ray Divers for snorkeling trips and can say that they are great with novice snorkelers....where ever you go, ask for a snorkel vest if you feel more confident with it.

http://www.eagleraydivers.com/WhatsNew.htm

There is also great info on snorkeling in general at

http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/Snorkeling.htm

Does anyone know where you can book either Snuba or a Sea Helmet excursion on your own (without going thru Carnival on the ship)? I can't seem to find any that are operating post-hurricane (unless it is thru Carnival). If I end up having to book thru Carnival the time is 12 - 2 (we are in port from 10 - 7 but are probably tendering). If we do tender does anyone know what time the last tender leaves to get back? We want to go to the San Gervasia ruins also. Will we have time to do all of this? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

thanks cozgal for all of the links...

I'm not sure which beach I would like to go to yet...It's between Playa Uvas and Passion Island..( i think that's what it's called)

Have you been to either? If you have which one do you perfer?

I haven't been to Passion Island as that is a cruise excursion only but it has nice reports of being very quiet and laid back. Playa Uvas is really nice, has good snorkeling, attentive staff and not many kids (at least when I was there) If you would like to try snorkeling...this is a good spot.

We will be in Cozumel next week. I have a 9,10 and 14 year old boy who have never snorkeled and my husband and i who have. we want to the great cozumel snorkeling experience. Can we do it from the shore or do we need to take a boat excursion. what is the best place to go if we go from the shore - how comparible is it to say the eagle ray diver trip. we wanted to rent a car and drive around island if we could and then stop for good snorkeling. our ship docks at 5 am and leaves 3 am local time - not alot of time to check it all out. any advice would be appreciated.

thanks!

There are still many okay places to snorkel from shore but the best, since wilma, will be from a boat, as Tom said.

You can find suggestions for a do it from shore yourself tour at www.cozumelinsider.com and www.cozumelmycozumel.com

Some of the places with better from shore snorkeling include, dzul ha and palmar beach club area, chankanaab, Playa Uvas, the small beach area near la caleta marina and near the Coral Princess hotel.

A few suggestions for boat snorkeling tours:

From a beach...

Palancar Beach - nice, basic beach club with boat tours.

Paradise Beach - popular beach club with catamaran snorkel tours to Palancar and Colombia reefs. See a review of their Cozumel snorkel tour here.

Boat tour with pier or ship pick up...

Fury catamarans cruise ship snorkel tours - can be booked through your cruise line.

Cozumel Insider - if you want to book a boat tour in advance independently.

I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you go!

Ian

We'll be coming to Cozumel on the Carnival Conquest on Sept.22nd . Just me and dh looking for a nice day of snorkeling on our own and some shopping. What are your suggestions for the best place for us to go to just get in the water and snorkle??? Thanks for your ideas ~~~~~~~~

Whatever you decide to do, don't go to Chankanaab (sp?) park. There is no shallow entry. If you've never snorkeled before, you need th shallows to learn how to do it and relax. I loved Dzul Ha. The ride is a couple of dollars from the ship, and the beach is free.

Archived