Scuba, Snuba, and Snorkeling in Cozumel Thread

dbrady

I will be in Coz May 2 and looking for scuba for DH and myself. My parents won't scuba but love to snorkel. I emailed Eagle Ray, hopefully they can accomodate both.

I believe that Eagleray does offer combination dive/snorkel trips. Blue Angel also offers combo trips. It is a little hard to find on their website. Look under "Dive Trips".

Got info on both of these, and having a difficult time deciding. I like the fact that the 2-reef Eagle Ray trip leaves at 10 a.m. (not too early nor too late) and lasts about 3 hrs., getting back in plenty of time to shop, etc. before we tender. They sound very nice and knowlegeable also, and I've read some good things about them on this chat room. It's $50 PP for the 2-reef tour.

PB takes off at 12:30 (might be kinda hot by that time) and also goes to 2 reefs, including Palancar. And it's only $35 PP. Haven't seen any info posted by anybody who actually went on this PB trip.

If anybody has any info/suggestions, they would be appreciated. Thanks!

We'll be on the RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas, tendering in Cozumel at 9 a.m. and leaving at 6 p.m.

I can't comment on the PB snorkel tour as I have never done it but have taken The Eagle Ray trips...I like Eagle Ray for the small groups, personal attention and quality of staff and service...they are the best that I have dealt with!

Is there more places than the lagoon to swim & snorkle at Chankannab park beach? That's as far as I got last year so I have no idea. Dh & I want to use our own gear and find a place to go on our own. Looking at there, PB, and Mr. Sanchos, and Playa Uvas.

So many different places to go and they all offer so many different things at different prices my head is spinnning trying to plan a simple day at the beach snorkeling, shopping ,and eating lunch.:o

Hello TRAINACOMIN,

I hope you had a terrific time on your cruise :)

Sometime ago I had posted the following question::confused:

"As anyone taken the Maria Del Mar 3 Reef Snorkel & Snuba Trip?

Not going until Sep. 3rd on Carnival Conquest. But would like to get an idea on what to do?"

Thank you in advance for your help.

As to what you responded:

"I'm booked on the Maria in two weeks. I did the same tour last Sept on the Zorro Catamarran. Same company ran both but the Zorro was lost to Wilma. great tour. I would recommend it! If you have any questions feel free to ask."

Clint

Well my trip is getting closer and I wanted to check back with you to see how your experience went with Maria Del Mar Tours. :rolleyes:

Thank you,

Hello there,

My husband, daughter and I are going to be in Cozumel during the first week of December. We would all like to take a boat out to snorkel on the reefs. Ideally we would like to go to three snorkel spots.

After snorkeling, we would like to go to Paradise Beach.

Is anyone able to recommend a tour operator who does snorkel tours who can drop us off at Paradise Beach (or near it)?

Thanks for any information you can share!

PB has a snorkel tour that goes right from its beach...not sure if they do two or three stops.

I use Eagle Ray Divers. They go out of Caleta Marina...you would have to check with them about the drop off.

Hope this helps

Thanks. It sounds like you enjoyed the Eagle Ray Divers. What did you like about them?

On the Paradise Beach website, I see that the Paradise Beach three stop tour takes 6 hours. I have sent an e-mail to Eagle Ray Divers to see how long their tour is.

Do you know if both go out to the Palancar Reef?

We would really like to have some time to spend at Paradise Beach. Do you recall how long your tour lasted?

I have done 2 and 3 reef trips with eagle ray that varied in time depending on the size of the group and which reefs we went to. The 2 reef trip averaged about 2-3 hours and the 3 reef 4-5 hours. I may be off a little on the time as I usually don't wear a watch when I go snorkeling.

I like eagle ray because of the small groups and personal attention.

There are several reefs that they frequent including Palancar.

You can get details from their website www.eagleraydivers.com

I have never done the PB snorkel tour so cannot offer advice on that one.

Been to Cozumel on a land vacation 4 times, most recently in April 2006. I agree the best snorkeling is done from a boat. The tour we took, was semi-private (the 4 in our group and 2 divers) and we made 3 stops, Cardona, Paradise, and Sunken Ship. Cardona was my favorite I saw a nurse shark, manta ray, sea turtle, and tons of other fish.

Last time we were in Cozumel, which was before the storm, we snorkeled at a place that wasnt very far from town. It had a little restaurant and snorkel equipment you could rent. We were on an excursion from the ship, but they said you could take a taxi there and back. I think it was a National Park. Does anyone know if its still there or were they wiped out by the storm. You walked into the water on on concrete or stone steps. does anyone know about this place? We're going on the Miracle 11/12

Not sure of the place you are referring to but a lot of the reefs were damaged that were close to shore. Most people are taking catamaran excursions that take you out to where the reefs are in better shape.

Dave

Hi snorkeler

You can see a recent report about how Chankanaab is doing on this Cozumel Mexico vacation information site (scroll down to 26 June 06).

At the moment it doesn't offer much more than other beach clubs that offer free entry, although they do have some underwater sculptures you can look for when snorkeling and natural caves and rock formations.

As mentioned above, the best reef snorkeling at the moment is by boat, Paradise and Palancar beaches offer tours to the southern reefs where the snorkeling is world-class....

Hope that helps

Ian

Thanks Wilmas for the link,

We were planning on going to this park- it looked really beautiful and

I would love to support their repair efforts,

now I read so much about Paradise Beach and then children's toys etc.

that it makes me want to go there....?

Where would be better snorkeling?

Thanks

Jennifer

For snorkeling from the beach there isn't a lot of difference between Chankanaab and Paradise Beach - you will see fish and life, but not so much coral. Chankanaab does have a couple of underwater scultpures you can look for when snorkeling, but that's about the only difference.

In terms of beach - Paradise Beach is better in my opinion. It has a sandy entry to the water and great facilities, it's also free to enter. Chankanaab has rock and steps to get into the water, and you have to pay to get in.

If you're really serious about snorkeling I suggest you go to Paradise Beach and take their Cozumel catamaran snorkel tour It leaves daily and costs $35 I think. This takes you to good reefs in the south of Cozumel where you will see colourful coral and fish and if you're lucky maybe even a turtle!

Happy snorkeling!

Ian

Archived