Scuba, Snuba, and Snorkeling in Cozumel Thread

dbrady

We will be in Cozumel next week. our ship docks at 5 am and leaves 3 am local time - not alot of time to check it all out. any advice would be appreciated.

thanks!

I think you have your times abit confused. I think you are on the Freedom which gets here at 6am local and leaves at 3pm local. The reason I am pointing this out is alot of places do not open early. Just keep that in mind when you go to head out to where ever you decide.

Whatever you decide to do, don't go to Chankanaab (sp?) park. There is no shallow entry. If you've never snorkeled before, you need th shallows to learn how to do it and relax. I loved Dzul Ha. The ride is a couple of dollars from the ship, and the beach is free.

We snorkled at Chankanaab and it was not bad off the shore. It was not like you could wade out into the water, but it was not a big drop. Unless, it has changed since Wilma and if it has, please let me know cause we plan on going to Chankanaab in August.

The access is from steps. You can adjust your mask/fins sitting there before entering the water. As long as the kids are comfortable in deep water they should be fine...you can always start them off in a safety vest.

I can't get a response over in the SNUBA board so I'd thougth I give it a shot here. My soon to be DW (currently my Fiance) told me I could go diving becuase it's been a want of mine for a few years now. Problem is she said I could only do it in the last port (hoping she'd already be sick and tired of me I guess), which is Coz. Since this would be my first dive does anyone know of a good into to diving in COZ, the only place i have so far is scubacludcozumel.com.

Thanks

Hi there. I'm going on the Carnival Cruise to Cozumel in a couple of weeks and I am really excited about going snorkeling. BUT, I can't decide if we should just rent at one of the beach clubs and swim off from the beach or if we should go on a boat trip out to the reef. I've been snorkeling off South Florida, where you HAVE to take a boat ride to see anything interesting, but I get the impression that some spots on Cozumel might be just has fun without having to pay for and spend time on a boat ride.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts/experiences that you guys could share.

Thanks!

Assuming that you have been through dive courses and have a dive card:

I happen to plan to dive with:

http://www.EagleRayDivers.com

Chellie and Antonio Castellanos

They are long time divers who have a boat and run a small operation. I have never heard of bad comments about their operation.

You can look for more recommendations google: Scubaboard

Carol

Since Wilma, the best snorkeling is from a boat but you can do shore and boat from several beach clubs...(Playa Palancar is one of my favorites)...there is good from shore snorkeling at Playa Uvas, DzulHa/Palmar area, Chankannab, and we also like up near Coral Princess Hotel. You can get lots of info at www.cozumelinsider.com and www.cozumelmycozumel.com

Hope this is helpful.

I agree, CozGal. Those are good snorkeling spots for shore viewing. If you decide on a boat trip, be sure to sign up with a small op -- shouldn't be more than about 12 people and often less and costs usually around $60/person. Find one that takes you to the far south reefs several of which are quite shallow in spots for great viewing. Many dive operations on the island offer these snorkeling tours and there's a friend of mine who does a very good tour that I promote on my website (in exchange for dog and house sitting when she has the time, ha ha).

What you want to avoid is one of the pack 'em in trips which is usually what you'll see offered by your cruiseship company. 50 to 150 people does not a mellow snorkeling experience make. May we say fins in the face?

Carey on Cozumel

Hi all,

I am going to be in Cozumel in Sept. I did a begginner scuba dive last Sept on my last cruise in Cozumel. I really enjoyed it and told myself I would get certified for the next cruise.

Well a year has gone by, and gues what, I am still not certified. Anyway, I went through Carnival last time, and was wondering if anyone knew a dive shop that they would reommend in cozumel for a begginner scuba dive.

Thanks a lot in advance.

I was wondering ... to do some snorkeling that is "picture perfect" (colorful schools of fish and colorful coral reef) ... do you have to take a boat of coast?

Or is there some really good coastline snorkeling? If so, where?

Thanks

Steph

I have never been to Cozumel and I want to do some snorkeling. It sounds like a private boat tour is best, but I don't see any recommendations of private companies. I would like to go to the Columbia and Plancar reefs. It sounds like Uvas may be a good idea for snorkeling as well. I need help. Where should I go?

go to http://www.google.com and search on the phrase Cozumel snorkeling and also Cozumel Diving. This should turn up any number of small operations. Many dive shops here also do snorkeling trips. The prices tend to run around $60/person for a half day 3 reef tour. We promote one of these on our website but there are certainly other good ones on the island as well.

Better to go with a small group that will take you to the far south end. The best boat trips will start you off on the easiest reef -- the shallows at Columbia and then move gradually to the ones that sometimes have more challenging currents like Palancar. The dive master who will always be in the water with you will judge skill levels and take care of you on this.

Good operations will want to know the ages of everyone coming and their level of experience with snorkeling. If there are a lot of very inexperienced people in the group and/or children, they will add extra staff and float buoys to be sure everyone stays safe and has a thrilling experience at the same time.

Carey on Cozumel

I agree Eagle Ray Divers is great!! :D We have used them twice for a discovery scuba dive. We keep saying we want to get certified, but time keeps getting away from us. We will be going back to Cozumel on our next cruise and will probably use Eagle Ray Divers again.

Thanks for the quick responses! I read about Playa Palancar and it sounds nice and relaxed - out of the way of the cruise onslaught. Do I need to make reservations in advance or is it okay to just show up?

And any preferences for Columbia or Palancar reef?

You really don't need to book ahead...hope you enjoy the really laid back pace and atmosphere! (If you feel better booking ahead, there are many operators at those websites who can help you) You should be able to book at Playa palancar once you get there.

From Playa Palancar you are closer to Columbia, a very nice reef for snorkeling. They are both great so you will be fine no matter where you go.

Just remember the currents can run strong and swift so you may very well just be drifting with the current.

For Palancar Beach Club you can just show up. It's a long way down there and expensive via cab so tends to be uncrowded even on busy cruiseship days. Columbia is somewhat near Palancar Beach Club but not reachable safely from shore. Boat needed. Ditto for Palancar Reef.

Carey on Cozumel

I was in cozumel last september and did my first ever dive. I would not recomend it for your first time, the current is very strong. iw ould try jamaica or grand cayman first.
The current isn't always strong and some sites it is seldom stronger than merely gentle. I would never recommend diving in Jamaica, especially over diving in Cozumel. Grand Cayman would be a good choice too.

The from shore snorkeling at PB is not very good, mostly sand...they do run boat tours out to the reef. You can check their website for particulars.

No matter which club you go to, even those with good from shore snorkeling, the best is seen from boat access.

Hope this helps!

Archived