Help deciding excursion-Ferry or Doomed Railcar

cruzingduo

We are going on the Brilliance Jan 22,07 and are trying to decide which excursion to book in Panama. Initially I thought we'd do the ferry ride and go thru all the locks, but I have read numerous posts which raved about the Ocean to Ocean train ride. Any comments to help us decide?

I don't know about the ferry but we did the train trip a couple of years ago. It was a good trip but your exposure to the canal is actually limited to a few spots. Once you get to the other side you will board buses and go on a trip visiting a couple places including one of the locks. Depending on the timing you may or may not get to see a ship going through it.

If the price on the two excursions are about the same and one goes through the locks I would suggest doing it. We did a full Canal transit a few years earlier and really enjoyed seeing our ship going through the locks from the ship.

Have a great next cruise.

We are going on the Brilliance Jan 22,07 and are trying to decide which excursion to book in Panama. Initially I thought we'd do the ferry ride and go thru all the locks, but I have read numerous posts which raved about the Ocean to Ocean train ride. Any comments to help us decide?

Hi!

I did this cruise last year. I also debated between the boat or train ride. I heard that the train ride was very nice, especially if you were one of the lucky 50 people to get the doom train (with A/C), otherwise a very long day. We ended up doing the boat "Ocean to Ocean" excurison. It was WONDERFUL. We decided since the main attraction was the Panama Canal, and not so much the country side, we needed to see the canal. This was the highlight of our trip. It can be very hot (train or boat) but we got lucky with the weather. Bring sun screen!!

Again, I would strongly recommend the boat ride!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am also looking at going on Brilliance in January or Febuary of 2007 and am wondering if the "ocean to ocean" ferry ride is offered by the cruise line, as I was on there website last night and only 2 excursions were offered for "cruising canal"

RCCL is currently renegotiating their contracts for next year for their Caribbean shore excursions (including Panama Canal). Their shore excursion season runs from October to September. Keep looking and it will show up. I did the ferry excursion on March 1st through RCCL while on the Brilliance and highly recommend it for the opportunity to truly see the canal and how it works.

RCCL is currently renegotiating their contracts for next year for their Caribbean shore excursions (including Panama Canal). Their shore excursion season runs from October to September. Keep looking and it will show up. I did the ferry excursion on March 1st through RCCL while on the Brilliance and highly recommend it for the opportunity to truly see the canal and how it works.

Thanks for the info!!!!

WRP96,

I have a couple of questions for you. Can you tell me how long was the ferry excursion and did it take you right to the Pacific??

Thanks in advance

It was really great. Yes, you go all the way to the Pacific Ocean. After you leave the Miraflores Locks, you can actually see where the water from the canal meets the water from the Pacific. I really enjoyed it with only one caveat - it was very hot. You need to make sure you stay in the shade on the ferry and drink lots of water (provided to you on the excursion).

Here's what I posted in my review from the Panama Canal visit:

Entered the Canal around 6:45am. I was up and on the helicopter pad by 5:30 but was beaten to the punch by at least 25 people. Those of us in the bow were able to see the approach to the locks, see the locomotives hook up (and then one of the locomotives loose the cables). There are 3 locks at Gatun Lake and it took over 2 hours to go through them. We were joined in the locks by the Zaandam. Once we entered Gatun Lake, I left the boat by tender to take the Panama Canal by Ferry Tour. Only people on ships tours were allowed to leave the boat in Gatun Lake. The tour started with a bus ride to Gamboa to pick up the ferry. We got to see lots of beautiful foliage plus a three-toed sloth and howler monkeys. Picked up the ferry at Gamboa just north of where the Chagris River enters the canal. We were provided lunch (a turkey sandwich and a muffin) plus all the water and coke we could drink – and were encouraged to constantly drink. The view was breathtaking as we got to see the navigational systems, small boats and large ships, and all three sets of locks. It was very hot – so hot somebody got sick and had to be taken off by ambulance once we were in the 3rd set of locks – they didn’t stay in the shade and didn’t drink enough water. You could even see where the fresh canal water changed over to the salty Pacific Ocean Water. On the drive back, our guide showed us a cashew – very different than what we see in stores. We were the last tour back on the ship.

Here's where I posted live from the Brilliance if you are interested. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=299889

Archived