Lodging in the Vicinity of Cape Liberty NJ cruise port

bygoner

bygoner..there is nothing in the immediate area.

some stay at the hyatt or courtyard in jersey city. easy to take the PATH train into NYC

others use the best western by the airport. they will drive you to the pier. check out http://www.parksleepfly.com (i think) i am not thrilled with that hotel but i guess it's ok to lay your head.

i live in NJ and when i did Explorer we stayed at the newark/elizabeth courtyard by marriott.

There are 4 hotels located off exit 13a of the nj turnpike. the courtyard and residence inn by marriott, a country inn and an extended stay america.

the address should read glimcher realty way. there is a ruby tuesday adjacent to these, and the jersey gardens outlet mall. no shuttle to the pier....it is a 40$$ cab ride, but cheaper and less hassle than parking...

the traffic into the pier is bad as incoming and outgoing all goes in one direction.

the pier is easy..check out http://www.cruiseliberty.com --very accurate.

there are other hotels near EWR but i like the 13A locations as they are easier to get in and out of.

hth

email me at cruisermeg@hotmail.com if you have other ???s

TO: Megr 1125. I thank you so much for the lodging information. I will be driving down to New Jersey from New Hampshire on October 19. Wanted to have a stay overnite so would be rested up for the hassle at the port (parking, etc). I will be on the NJ Pike so I,ll take the exit you suggested and probably stay at the Marriott.

bygoner....

none of the places technically offer a "park n fly -or cruise" BUT they don't care if you park there...just tell them.

you have to go thru one of those gate things that has the pop-up sharp things that cut up tires if you are being bad....but you use your key to get in and out.....when you get back from your cruise, pop inside and tell them your name and you are leaving...and they will open the gate and lower the blade things....

it was very easy.

also, about 2 miles away down north avenue is a stop n shop. can't remember if there was a liquor store anyplace but the grocery store is decent.

there are several places to eat in the area and some that deliver. (none of the delivery places are THAT great....) but ruby tuesday was fine.....and it is right in the parking lot...if it isn't blazing hot you can walk. we drove cause it was hot and mom didn't want to waste her energy!!

the R.I. & C.I. have free breakfast. The CY probably has a package with it...we wound up getting it free as some stuff in our room was broken....otherwise it's about 14 bucks and decent.

THe CY is in decent shape even though we had a couple issues. We were, however, bumped up to a suite since all the rooms with 2 beds were full....so i got a sofa bed....BIG DEAL...we really "roughed it!'" LOL

the jersey gardens outlet mall has some deals if you have time to shop.....and lots of fast food places.

the trip from the hotel is about 30 minutes...it isn't that far, but the traffic can hold you up.

BUT, I can't tell you how cool it is to cruise without getting on a plane....we are having trouble getting from NY/NJ to seattle for our cruise in sept.

let me know if you have any other ??s....are you doing Bermuda??

You do not want to stay at Newark Airport for any reason. Dismal place with some very bad hotels.

I highly suggest the Doubletree or Hyatt in Jersey City or the Sheraton Weehauken.

There is a Candlewood in Jersey City and I think the Jersey City Hotel (or something like that) but I don't have first hand experience with them.

the places i suggested are NOT dismal...i have stayed in all of them save the best western.

I'm sorry but I didn't realize you mentioned any Newark Airport hotels. I thought the hotels you mentioned were elsewhere.

The Best Western is horrible.

You do not want to stay at Newark Airport for any reason. Dismal place with some very bad hotels.

I'm sorry but I didn't realize you mentioned any Newark Airport hotels. I thought the hotels you mentioned were elsewhere.

The Best Western is horrible.

Please help me understand your posts. First post is in red clearly stating dismal hotels at the Newark Airport.

Second post...you thought the hotels were elsewhere?

Also please advise what is horrible about the Best Western?

Having grown up in the area I also would not recommend staying at any of the hotels around Newark Airport....

The closest hotels to the pier would be located in downtown Jersey City (I believe there is a Hyatt and Marriott). It would be about a 10-15 drive (depending on traffic) from these hotels to the port...

As previously mentioned the added benefits there hotels are near the PATH commuter line stations to NYC...

Let me rephrase, bad hotels at Newark Airport (and this is overlooking the fact that the area immediately surrounding Newark is awful and has one of the highest violent crime rates in the country) avoid the Best Western, Ramada, and Four Points.

The only hotel I would stay at is The Marriott.

THe best western is just plain crappy.

the full service marriott is fine, as are the places at exit 13A.

That particular area is NOT in downtown newark.....nor is the grocery store.....that is actually in a latino neighboorhood/residential area. I went to church in the area and felt very safe. Also stopped at a bakery on North Ave and got the most delicious, well priced pasteries....it was peruvian or something.

So yes, downtown newark can be a bit of a challenge but if you stick with the newer hotels you should be fine.

THey all have secured parking...there are others but route 1 & 9 is a bit of a pain in the rear to get around.

Archived