Missing from luggage.

Bettcc

On a recent trip a TSA lock disappeared from one suitcase. We speculate the TSA person forgot to put it back on after closing the suitcase.

Nothing was missing from inside the case.

But "stuff" does happen.

If TSA physically searches a bag, whether it is unlocked, locked with a TSA approved lock which they open, or a lock is cut off to gain access, they are required to leave a notice inside that they have searched it. If your bag has been opened and the notice is not there, then it is most likely that a baggage handler was in it, although it could be a dishonest TSA person trying to make it look like a baggage handler.

whenever we fly, I make sure that I have planned ahead on the luggage that we will check and the items we will carry on. We can usually do the carryons with one 20" suitcase that has never failed to fit in the sizing boxes, and I make sure it is less than 20lb. We each have a computer bag, and you can put a lot of extra stuff in those. Sometimes we don't check any luggage and use a second 20" suitcase. Then, Slinkie has to put her purse in the computer bag until we've cleared security.

Any bags we check are almost always clothes only so there is nothing to create an image that looks like it should be checked out.

I had a pair of sandals go missing after a cruise - they were old but in good condition and I always put them right on top and in a plastic bag. I suspect that the thief was in a hurry and just grabbed them thinking they were new. So yes, I think they have master keys that will open any suitcase.

Re: customs - we spoke with someone who had his CPAP machine - worth over $2000 stolen right off the belt while he was being wanded. I keep my eye on my things as they go through and watch what happens to them. It would be so easy for a worker to zip open a purse and slip a wallet out.

Also, on one cruise a couple had their documents stolen right in the embarkation room. the woman had put a large amount of money in the folder with their documents and laid it on the counter while getting her picture taken - when she turned to get them they had disappeared. They were never found and they suspect one of the roving security guards lifted them.

Our luggage is the large duffel-type bags on wheels. Very easy to stuff & manuever. However, the bags close with just a zipper that meets in the middle. Not real secure for someone else to handle. However, since the vast majority of our travel does not include airports, it's served us well. But it's starting to show it's age.

For those of you who use cable ties, for the outbound trip (to the ship) how do you cut the ties once onboard? I can't keep my micro-leatherman in my carry-on anymore. Have to pack it. For the return trip the cable ties work just fine since we'll be at home to cut them.

Also, John & I only use the cable ties for non-air travel. If TSA wants in the bags, they would cut the ties. His solution - he worked paperclips thru the 2 zipper ends. That way TSA could access the bags & so could we when we got to where we were going.

Before I started keeping a small scissors in the outside pocket of my checked bag to cut the security ties I would just bring my case to the hotel front desk, the bellman, whatever (I am sure that on board the cabin steward would gladly help) and ask to borrow a scissors. Early in the post 9/11 game I was often not the only one in line asking for just this service.

We keep our zippers together with kitchen twist ties, no scissors needed unless security adds an additional tie -- this has not happened to us lately.

I'm sorry, but this entire thread is so upsetting to me! I don't fly very often (if I can help it) and this discussion is one strong reason for that. The theft of personal belongings by airport personnel is just DISGUSTING to me, and it could absolutely and totally be avoided if the airlines stepped up their security. (They're "protecting us" from terrorists by searching our luggage.... thanks, but no thanks!)

Where are the security cameras in the search areas?

How secure are the search rooms?

Where is the management when this pilfering is going on??

How does this happen??

Has anyone found items missing from their suitcases which were packed last thing on the final night and was placed securely locked outside their room?.

I am missing my costume jewellry in a case and pouch also my spare sunglasses in a case, these items though very attractive have little monetary value but are priceless to me for sentimental reasons. There was no sign of forced entry to the case and as I was unwell on my return my case was not unpacked for some time.

Is it possible that someone has keys which enables them to unlock cases?.

This same scenario happened to one of our tablemates from our cruise in January. She left for home from Santiago airport with her costume jewellery packed in her suitcase.

When she arrived home, it was all gone. The jewellery wasn't worth a lot of money but it had sentimental value, being passed down by her mother.

For that very reason, I always pack my jewellery in my carry on case and it is never far from me. When we had so many flights in South America in Jan/Feb this year, time and again I was asked to open my carry on bag and the security people went through everything. I just stood there and made sure that nothing was taken from that bag. It was very difficult in countries where English was not spoken well.

Thankfully in all our years of travel, nothing has been taken from our suitcases though DH's lock was broken in the U.S. this year even though the suitcase was unlocked anyhow! :rolleyes:

Jennie

For those of you who use cable ties, for the outbound trip (to the ship) how do you cut the ties once onboard? I can't keep my micro-leatherman in my carry-on anymore. Have to pack it.

Nail clippers is the best solution.

Once after the shoe-match incident, my husband was selected to remove his shoes and again empty his pockets. A guard grabbed his wallet and said he had to scan it again, and headed really fast for a scanner at the other end of the room. I never saw Jim run so fast! He caught the guy and snatched the wallet out of his hands (unscanned) and went back to get his shoes... the nerve of some people!

Candy the ZuiderPrincess

Is it possible that someone has keys which enables them to unlock cases?.

Quite possible.

You might want to contact the cruise line, airline, and TSA. Its possible the item(s) were left unpacked, in the cabin. Its possible that they were not repacked after a search. If they had a low monetary value its also possible that they'll "appear".

Don't know if you don't ask. If it were me, my approach would be something like "when I got home I couldn't find my . . . I've looked everywhere. I'm so distraught . . . Have they turned up?"

It's not always the airlines, though.

Almost exactly a year ago, we cruised out of Miami on Explorer of the Seas, Western Caribbean itinerary. I owned a Lowepro Computrekker, which looks exactly like a backpack:

CompuTrekAW_left_stuffn_1_n.jpg

Whenver I travel, I never ever let it out of my site.

Except once.

We were at the pier and had just checked our bags. The porter loaded all of our suitcases on to a luggage cart and appeared to be about to roll it right down to the ship, and asked if I wanted him to take the backpack. We had the two kids, a bunch of other carry-on stuff, and I thought about it and figured "Well, it's not obviously a camera bag since it looks like a knapsack, I see where he is taking it onboard, and I have so much other junk to carry.....well, OK."

Later when all of our luggage was delivered to our room, needless to say it wasn't delivered with the rest of our luggage. The knapsack never showed up. Our cabin attendant told me that there are many thieves at the Miami port. Needless to say I was sick to my stomach over it... more because I would not have the equipment for the cruise than the cost, because I knew that my homeowner's insurance would cover it. Plus, I was so angry at myself for being so stupid, which only compounded things. In the bag were my digital SLR, two lenses, dedicated flash, four camera batteries, my digital camcorder, each of the kids' digital point and shoot, 2 1gb memory cards, a brand new waterproof housing for my son's Canon A80, and other stuff that I can't remember now. So, not that anyone here is anywhere near as stupid as I, but keep your cameras close. The only consolation was getting to go on a spending spree for new stuff once the insurance check came.

We leave Wednesday morning for a cruise to Alaska. In addition to all of the replacement gear I bought last year I have added some extremely costly glass for bear watching. Will not let this bag out of my sight.

Quite possible.

You might want to contact the cruise line, airline, and TSA. Its possible the item(s) were left unpacked, in the cabin. Its possible that they were not repacked after a search. If they had a low monetary value its also possible that they'll "appear".

Don't know if you don't ask. If it were me, my approach would be something like "when I got home I couldn't find my . . . I've looked everywhere. I'm so distraught . . . Have they turned up?"

This I will try, it makes sense, I did not know what I could do,we did as we have always done and thoroughly checked the cabin before leaving. It is not to say that I am new to travelling I am in my middle seventies this was our 14th cruise, as well as many flights and I have never lost anything before ,I guess I have always been so trusting and perhaps lucky or thought it wouldn't happen to me . I do thank you all for replying to my post ,you are all very kind .Thank you again. Bettcc

My father worked for TWA (anyone remember them) and always said any lock can be broken and never put anything valuable in your luggage. He also believed that the more expensive your luggage the more damaged it will be, as airline employees found it to be a challenge to damage them. He was not just referring to TWA employees either!

Now post 911 many suitcases are unlocked and even easier prey to theives.

Yes we were on a flight from Copenhagen, could it happen there? I do know that there is no way of getting the items returned or claiming on insurance as I have no proof, I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem.

My money's on TSA ... not HAL.

I think I recall reading somewhere that TSA had a big internal investigation or something ... in response to many, many passenger complaints regarding missing items from their luggage ... and they determined that some of their officers were stealing items from passengers' luggage. Don't know what actions they took to rectify the situation, though. For some reason, never heard anything about that subject.

Blue skies ...

--rita

My money's on TSA ... not HAL.

I think I recall reading somewhere that TSA had a big internal investigation or something ... in response to many, many passenger complaints regarding missing items from their luggage ... and they determined that some of their officers were stealing items from passengers' luggage. Don't know what actions they took to rectify the situation, though. For some reason, never heard anything about that subject.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I believe the TSA is being erroneously blamed here.:( .The OP stated they had a flight from Copenhagen...She never said that she had a flight in the USA...TSA is a branch of the U.S. Government & does not examine luggage in Foreign Airports...

TSA only examines luggage which goes on USA originating flights..

Luggage is examined by either the Airline or Govt. Security in each originating country..

Danish Security would have examined her luggage..When she arrived in the US from Copenhagen, she would have gone through US Customs here..TSA would never see her luggage unless she was on a continuing flight..

This is not to say that theft doesn't happen, but the blame should be placed with the proper authority...In this case she should contact both the Cruise Company & the Airline which transported her luggage..

If she continued on a flight in the US, then she would have to put a claim in with both the US Airline & TSA..

TSA is able to open any approved TSA lock..Other locks & cable ties are cut off if TSA wishes to examine your luggage. As Grumpy states they are required to place a notice in your bag..There is no such requirement outside of the U.S

For the poster that says where are the Managers..Dishonest employees can be very clever & it is often very difficult for a Manager to catch the thief..You would have to be watching everyone constantly & then prove that they lifted the items....That's why Airport Police & Security is always very busy!

However theft does not only happen in Airports! How many times have you been in a Supermarket & left your bag un-attended in the grocery cart..I see it all the time & many times they are stolen before the person realizes it..:mad:

The bottom line is always be vigilant & never ever let your wallet, purse, important papers, jewelery, meds & valuables out of your site!

Good point about the fact TSA would not be involved in a flight originating in Denmark.

It's good advice, Serendipity, to say to never let valuables out of our sight but what are we to do when the TSA Officer grabs our jewelry pouch (when we are on the other side of the x-ray) and says he/she is going to run it through the x-ray again? It is out of our sight and our control and if it isn't returned to us, we probably have no way to prove we ever had the case. Sure, I know they're running video but how likely is it an individual would ever get it viewed and pursued........not to mention how there would be time to go through all that without missing our flights.

Interesting thing happened after flying from St. Lucia, changing in Montego Bay, arr in the U.S. Found a note inside the suitcase saying it had been inspected - it was an old hard side Samsonite with a combination lock, which worked just fine, in spite of having been opened. They can get inside anything!!!!

Like Oprah said on her show about 15 years ago, "Always pack your checked suitcase as if you'll never see it again". And each time we visit the kids in AL, we go to the unclaimed luggage store in Scottsboro!

Bev

Archived