Should I be worried ?

Okay I am going on my FIRST cruise in December on MARINER OF THE SEAS and I keep reading about this virus thing and I have to wonder if I should be worried about getting sick, will I be able to enjoy myself ? Can't this same kind of thing happen at Disney World or any city mall where there are shopping carts ? Why cruise ships ? Why the Mariner ?

No, don't be worried. The NoroVirus happens all over, but when you are a community on a cruise ship, it is in a concentrated area. Also, I think that people pay so much for a cruise and air, that they go even though they know they aren't feeling well, and it gets passed on. I believe that each ship that has a problem, the virus is brought on the ship, not there to begin with. Also, you will be going in winter time when the "bug" seems to be in hiberation.

One thing, though. When onboard, make sure you wash your hands alot. That just makes sense. Trust me, the ship before leaving port(CDC won't let it leave) will be cleaned so well, all over, that it will be much cleaner than any home or hospital!(grin)

Also, have you noticed(at least in my area) that grocery stores now have antibacterial wipes right with the carts?! Again, I believe cruisers bring the virus with them because they are not going to stay home and lose all that money for their cruise!!!

Pooh

On a cruise ship you are somewhat a "captive" audience so when these things hit they spread like wildfire. Yes, you can catch them elsewhere. The Mariner? It only takes one person starting it to cause the thing to spread.

Wash your hands. All the time. Don't use other's utensils, touch anything to your mouth that has been in anyone's hands. That's the best way to prevent it

Don't worry about getting sick. We have been on 7 and have never gotten sick. Just make sure you wash your hands quite often and carry around a small bottle of purex with you.

Have fun, we have been on the Mariner and loved the ship!

No matter what fancy name gets attached to it, (Norwalk, Norovirus, etc.) it is just the plain old "stomach flu" that most of us have experienced in our lives. Highly contagious and usually brought on board by a passenger who has it - maybe doesn't even realize it yet. Once it presents, it spreads like wildfire. Just use common sense, wash your hands frequently, keep your hands and fingers away from your face, etc....those type of thing.s

Mostly, don't worry. Just go and have a good time.:p

Possibly more visable due to the amount of kids on board this time of year, or maybe just nasty adults. It comes from not washing your hands and cross contamination - primarily after a bathroom break as this is an intestinal virus. How many times have you been in a public restroom and seen people exit without washing? It only takes one to leave without washing and spread what they have like wildfire. Imagine if you wash, but touch the door handle of someone that did not who is sick? This is why there are signs everyone on the ship that say - wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands! We have been on many cruises and have never been sick, but the cruiseline has been diligent in having staff constantly wiping down the railings and other touch surfaces.

I just got off the Mariner and I would tell you not to worry. We did not get sick. I will agree with what everyone has said, wash, wash, wash your hands. That is the best way to prevent the spread of infection. When you look at it, there were 3500 passengers and 250 or so got sick. That is less than 10% of the passengers. This is the same bug that you can catch anywhere. Personally I am more worried about picking up something when I touch cans at the grocery store.

Enjoy your cruise and start thinking about all the memories you are going to have.

Yes, and just imagine what you sit in the seat of your grocery cart. Did you ever think about a baby with a poopie diaper sat there before you put your stuff in or was chewing on the handle? What about that raw meat that was just in the cart where your putting the raw vegetables? Or again, the nasty adult that maybe hasnt washed their hands all day? Wash your hands first thing when you get home from the grocery store before you put your food away.

Cruise ships are required by law to report these outbreaks of sickness. Other places are not required to do so. That is why this seems like a cruise ship problem when in reality it happens everywhere.

We were on the Mariner last January. We had a wonderful time. I don't remember anyone getting sick. (Recent news reports say that the last viral outbreak on the Mariner was in January.)

Wash your hands like everyone says and enjoy your cruise!

It seems to be just a particulary bad week for RCCL, with one death, a virus outbreak and the lifeboat fire.

3 in one week.....

Last week was Princess with the listing incident.....

Who is next week?

Bill

Do you worry about going to the mall? Do you worry about grocery shopping? Do you worry about staying at a hotel or going on a business meeting or to a convention? Viruses are all around us and it amazes me that nobody seems to get worked into a lather about it unless someone sneezes on a cruise ship! Get real, people!

20,000,000 got the flu.

TV talking heads scream about getting your flu shot is you are, ifyou are young, if you are sick if you are healthy...

Schools get the flu..this is the most common news report.

But, it becomes a feeding frenzy when 200 people on a ship of 3,00 get the flu. A flu brought on by a fellow passenger.

Okay I am going on my FIRST cruise in December on MARINER OF THE SEAS and I keep reading about this virus thing and I have to wonder if I should be worried about getting sick, will I be able to enjoy myself ? Can't this same kind of thing happen at Disney World or any city mall where there are shopping carts ? Why cruise ships ? Why the Mariner ?

I'm going on the Mariner in two weeks, and I'm not concerned at all. AI'll protect myself by wahing my hands and using sanitizer as much as possible.

Have you ever gotten the stomach flu? Well, you had to pick up the virus somewhere, two or three days earlier. That makes it hard to place the blame, because you can't pinpoint exactly what you touched that was contaminated. But it can (and does) happen anywhere.

I've come down with upper respiratory viruses after flying. Do I condemn the airlines, or refuse to fly anymore? Of course not. My kids come down with all sorts of ailments from viruses they've picked up from school.

It's all over, and the best offense is a good defense.

Archived