No hose with closed toe shoes???

Do you not wear hose with a closed toe shoe? I saw a thread yesterday about a lady looking for a good pair of dress hose. Some of you said to use the leg makeup. My feet feel yucky in closed toe shoes with no hose or socks for that matter. Am I crazy? I have a european sister-in-law that goes bare footed in shoes and I know Katie Coutic does it. But, isn't it uncomfortable? I bought some of those peds (hose things that just slip half way up your foot. They usually show through my shoes. ugh!

Opinions on this please.

Candy

This is not politcally correct to say, but some women's feet just look better in hose. Mine would be included in that assessemnt for that matter. As I have aged the veins have become very prominent. Hose seem to smooth that over a little. It looks so much better.

As for comfort, for me most shoes do feel more comfortable with hosiery. That said, if I could get away without hose I would in a heart beat.

Candy - I used to think it was a matter of where you were raised or how old you are as to whether it was thought to be improper to not wear hose with dress shoes. I'm not sure anymore - there are people on all sides of the issue. There is so much controversy and strong feelings about it. In my upbringing, a lady simply did not wear anything but a flat casual sandal without hose. If you wore a dress with a heel, you wore hose year round whether the shoes were open, closed, or strappy heeled sandals. Yes, it was hot in the summer - that's why mom dressed us up and took us to the non-airconditioned church for 7:00 a.m. Mass in the summertime. We also wore hose with our skirts to the non-airconditioned school (pants were not permitted until I was in high school ~ 1970).

It's a look that I like and I have a hard time getting used to adult women wearing heels with bare legs. I'm not comfortable in the look - it's like bare legs look too casual with dressy shoes. IMHO not many women have the legs for it. I'm glad that dress pants are the "uniform of the day" in my office.

You're crazy. LOL! No, of course not. To each his own. I refuse to EVER wear hose again. I'm in my forty's and by golly I will NOT stuff myself into a pair of sausage casings again in this lifetime! SO THERE! HARUMPH! Not everyone feels the way I do about hose. So wear them if you want to.

For me, it depends on the dress, the shoe and the season.

When I am in the northeast (or other cold climes) in the winter, I always wear hose with a dress and my choice of footwear. I think it looks silly not to!

I live in FL and could not pull on a pair of hose right now for any amount of money.:)

On cruises, etc., I let the outfit dictate my decision. I am in the "no hose with no toes" shoe camp but for pumps I let how the outfit looks determine my decision. If it looks more "finished" with hose, I will wear them

Nlidel, I'm with you. In the winter, I never wear a dress so I can wear socks with my shoes no panty hose for me. I hate them always have always will.

That said, I wear ballet flats without hose all the time, in fact I think they looks best without hose. There was a fashion that women wen't "bare legged" even in the winters of NYC (of course most went in and out of limos) but that was a trend I believe.

I think it would really depend on the shoe. Some heavy winter looking shoes just would not look right without "socks" but then again I don't think those would look nice with sheer hose, they would have to be opaque hose.

Personally I'm with your european sister-in-law and Katie Couric, but if you are more comfy with them, then that is your choice IMO.

Joyce I think I am old school too (47.) My boss (female) and I have had this discussion. We both think that certain items of clothing require hose. A dress suit (skirt and jacket) in a conservative office setting, closed toed shoes such as pumps & some dresses just don't look right with hose. My sister who is 13 years my senior thinks some or most dresses and thin skirts require slips. I told her recently that I didn't own a slip anymore:eek: . I know she thought HUSSY. Our old southern mother would rollover in her grave!!! LOL

Candy

Candy, I had to laugh when I read your statement about "slips". My Mom taught us girls to wear slips. I do not wear slips either now, but I still wear hose if the dress attire calls for it. And closed-in shoes definitely require me to wear hose. I feel more comfortable in my shoes and my legs look better that way. (very freckled and age-spotted).

IMO-wear what makes you feel good and good about yourself.

Linda

I am 51 and quite wearing hose when I turned 45. Never again. I work in a law office and wear dresses most days. About half the time I wear closed toe shoes, the rest of the time I wear sandals. I usually dust my shoes with powder in the morning and I am good to go. I don't have any slips either.

:) Well, I know I am dating myself..but I ALWAYS wear hose...the only time I don't wear them are withsandalss and those without heels.

I know the tread now-a-days is for bare leggs...but even on those Hollywood Stars...some of theirlegss could greatlybenefitt with wearing hose IMHO.

So my advise for you is this...if you think your legs look better with hose wear them, if you feel more comfortable wearing hose..wear them. And to each their ownopinionss on this issue.

:) Happy Cruising!:)

Well, for me it depends.

I live right outside of Chicago and we freeze in the winter.

So, in the dead of winter I will wear hose if I have on a closed toe shoe/boots.

However, That is mainly becasue most of the fabric are heavier and are not comfortable with out them.

If it looks more "finished" with hose, I will wear them

I agree.

There are just some things to me that look strange without them

HOWEVER, in the summertime, or on a cruise to the caribbean I would not bring them for all of things good!

My legs are still in good condition, so no worries there.

I have seen people that should NOT follow this rule.

If your legs are in poor condition, wearing hose is probably a better "finished" look.

I never used to like the feel of leather shoes on my bare feet. Now I put a bit of baby powder in the shoe before my foot. The shoes feel great & I get the no hose look in the summer. Just be careful about slipping you shoes off under your desk / under the table, you may leave footprints.

I do occassionally wear hose, especially with a suit in a professional setting.

I never used to like the feel of leather shoes on my bare feet. Now I put a bit of baby powder in the shoe before my foot. The shoes feel great & I get the no hose look in the summer. Just be careful about slipping your shoes off under your desk / under the table, you may leave footprints.

I do occassionally wear hose, especially with a suit in a professional setting.

I loathe hose and never ever wear full on panty hose, if anything I'd wear JCP's thigh highs. They are my favorite brand of thigh high. Normally even to work I rarely wear pantyhose, thigh highs, or leg makeup. But I am 21 so I like my legs at this point in my life maybe when I get older I'll be wearing my thigh highs more. Also, in open toe shoes you really need a nice pair without noticeable seams.

I have coworkers who have never seen my legs because I always wear pants in the office. If I'm in a dress (usually just formal night) on a cruise, I'll wear some kind of hose because we like to dance, and no amount of powder will last through a session, and it feels gross to me to have my sweaty foot inside a shoe. I prefer the thigh-highs to panty hose so I'm not, as Nancy so accurately put it, feeling like a bratwurst.

The dress code at my job prohibits bare legs. We usually wear business suits, and I don't like them with bare legs, anyway. I find that if I wear pantihose that fit well, they don't bother me at all. I also don't like the way my bare feet feel in shoes.

I love sandals, and during warm weather, wear them as much as I can when I'm not at work.

On a cruise, it depends on the length of the dress (the longer the dress, the less likely I am to wear hose) and the shoes. I'm not crazy about the look of (even really nude) hose with sandals.

Can't stand them, so unless I am wearing a dress in the winter (which is not very often) I go barelegged, no matter what shoes I wear. I wore black heeled pumps yesterday - and no hose. My legs look good, and are usually tan by May due to yardwork. If not, I use a self-tanner (don't care for the white-legged look!)

I always thought the rule was hose if you wore closed-toe shoes, no hose if you wore open toe shoes (the toe hose line always shows). Well, nowadays no-hose is pretty much accepted everywhere with any type of shoe.

Comfortwise, I recently bought some trouser socks to go with a pair of heels I bought because they rubbed a bit by the sides of my pinky toes. A trip to the shoe repairman to stretch the sides, foot petals strappy things on the slingbacks, and a pair of trouser socks have taken care of the chafing. BTW, the foot petals, even The Manolo, blogger fabuloso, would say the foot petals make the super sexy shoe a more comfortable super sexy shoe.

Personally, I have nerd legs which see no sun. Self tanner, leg make-up... Meh. Meh I Say! I'd rather wear a pair of hose in an air-conditioned room. Even in California where bare long perfect gams parade around in stilts. There is also the moment of happiness when you (finally) get to peel them off. A fitting end to an appropriately dressed hour. I also wear socks in my sneakers.

I don't wear hose in hot weather...don't bring them at all on a Carribean cruise... but in the winter, I love them. I don't find them uncomfortable at all, in fact...I wear control top and they feel good. They help to "smooth" things out a bit. Kind of like Spanx...but not quite as tight ! I wear tights if the outfit calls for them...love them too.

I"m just wondering if some of you who find them so uncomfortable are wearing a size too small?

I don't wear hose in hot weather...don't bring them at all on a Carribean cruise... but in the winter, I love them. I don't find them uncomfortable at all, in fact...I wear control top and they feel good. They help to "smooth" things out a bit. Kind of like Spanx...but not quite as tight ! I wear tights if the outfit calls for them...love them too.

I"m just wondering if some of you who find them so uncomfortable are wearing a size too small?

Ummmmm......Nope.:)

Still hate 'em.:)

I always thought the rule was hose if you wore closed-toe shoes, no hose if you wore open toe shoes (the toe hose line always shows). Well, nowadays no-hose is pretty much accepted everywhere with any type of shoe.

Comfortwise, I recently bought some trouser socks to go with a pair of heels I bought because they rubbed a bit by the sides of my pinky toes. A trip to the shoe repairman to stretch the sides, foot petals strappy things on the slingbacks, and a pair of trouser socks have taken care of the chafing. BTW, the foot petals, even The Manolo, blogger fabuloso, would say the foot petals make the super sexy shoe a more comfortable super sexy shoe.

Personally, I have nerd legs which see no sun. Self tanner, leg make-up... Meh. Meh I Say! I'd rather wear a pair of hose in an air-conditioned room. Even in California where bare long perfect gams parade around in stilts. There is also the moment of happiness when you (finally) get to peel them off. A fitting end to an appropriately dressed hour. I also wear socks in my sneakers.

May I please ask what is a "foot petal"? is it those thingys that you put on your toes like the "tip of a sock"?

May I please ask what is a "foot petal"? is it those thingys that you put on your toes like the "tip of a sock"?

No, they're little foot cushions that have adhesive on the back. They come in different shapes suitable for different areas of the shoe. One looks like a flower and you adhere it to the shoe where the ball of your foot hits to provide some cushioning and "grip" for your foot. They're made of some kind of cushy non-slip anti-bacterial material. Dr. Scholls does manufacture a similar line but I found the adhesive on foot petals to be sticky and less messy (no residue when I quickly repositioned them). The cushy material seems better to me, too.

http://www.footpetals.com/cgi-bin/footpetals/products.html

I got the ones for straps and stuck them on the inside of my slingbacks. They really help the strap stay up and much more comfortable than tightening the strap, pushing my foot forward into the toe box. Plus, I have a friend who rubs her feet raw with some flip flops, so she'll get half my set to try out. You can cut the material, too. Today/tomorrow, I'm getting the ones that go under your foot to keep the blippin shoe where it should be. When I "test ran" my new slingbacks around town yesterday, I found that my foot tends to slip forwards when I walk.

Mine came from Nordstrom's hoisery section. They're also sold on eBay. The site says they're also sold at Bath & Body Works (I rarely go into this store so can't confirm).

As for the little sock-let things, mine slip down, too. Really, why would we think sticking a little toe cap on our feet would actually stay put when walking? Maybe adhesive would help...

Archived