New York Suggestions

My husband and I are arriving in NYC the day prior to our cruise departure. Our hotel is by LaGuardia. We probably will arrive around 3 p.m. so we only have a short time to do any sightseeing.

I am looking for suggestions on what we should do in the short amount of time, where to go, what to see. This is our first time to the city. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to us to make the most of the time we're there.

Thanks.

If your room at LGA isn't paid for and non-refundable, I'd change the reservation to somewhere in Manhattan. LGA isn't easily accessible via public transportation, and it won't be a cheap cab ride either. For the hassle it'll be to get back and forth, you're better off spending a little more to stay in midtown. You could probably even find a decent place on priceline for around $100.

Sorry- but I definately agree, you do NOT want to stay by LaGuardia, IF you want touring. With your late arrival, forget going back and forth to Manhatten- where everything is.

I suggest you stay midtown Manhatten and see some sights and do a show. Costly YES, but if you haven't been here before this is your best option. I go to NYC 3-4 times/year, and you will never see me stay anywhere but Manhatten. Shows are my priority and the wonderful areas of Manhatten.

If you only need one bed, priceline often is the cheapest option. I stay at the Super 8, Comfort Inn, Econolodge- which ever is cheapest.

Hi.

We're staying by LGA because we purchased the transfers to/from pier via cruise line from airport. We just received our travel documents yesterday so I assume it's too late to cancel the vouchers and get a credit for them. I admit I didn't plan this very well and should have consulted this forum long before. I'm willing to just eat the cost of a cab to/from the city if that's what it takes.

Thanks for the advice.

Well if you're stuck you're stuck. I'd look into hiring a car and driver for a couple of hours then. Let the driver do a little commentary, then drop you off for a while, then either have same car pick you up or take a cab back to LGA. Empire State is open to midnite. Times Square is best at night. Take a buggy ride in Central Park. See a show, have a nice dinner, etc.

I think the double-decker tour busses that bring you around Manhattan and point out all the sights, are great for the first time visitor with a small time frame to see things. You catch the tours in the Times Square area.You can then see a Broadway play, which begin at 8 pm. except on Tues. some shows begin at 7. After the play you can walk to the Empire State Building and go to the roof, or have a drink at the Mariott Marquis hotel, to lookover the lights of Times Square. Also check out playbill.com To join is free, and then you can purchase discount tickets to Broadway shows. When you purchase the tickets, you can check "will call" which means you will pick them up the day of the performance.

Instead of the Empire State Buildling which will have extensive waits in lines on weekend- hours. Consider the Top of the Rock, far more convenient to midtown Manhatten, and timed tickets. Purchase online. I suggest purchasing theater tickets BEFORE you go, you have no time to spare waiting in the TKTS line. Look at http://www.broadwaybox.com and http://www.playbill.com as already mentioned. If at all possible, cancel your hotel/transfer purchase. This is the most costly way to go and with your refund, I bet you will have no problem with a midtown hotel for about the same price. Then just a cab to the ship (or if you pack light, public transportation)/

My husband and I are arriving in NYC the day prior to our cruise departure. Our hotel is by LaGuardia. We probably will arrive around 3 p.m. so we only have a short time to do any sightseeing.

I am looking for suggestions on what we should do in the short amount of time, where to go, what to see. This is our first time to the city. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to us to make the most of the time we're there.

Thanks.

I am from the Island (long island) and happen to also have an apartment in the city, which we go to occasionally. I know that New York can be a bit expensive for hotels. It is a good idea to stay in Manhattan. I know across from my building is some hotel (although I hear its not a very good one, its pretty cheap and near midtown). Its on 30th street and Park Ave(Hotel 30 30 I believe). I walk to midtown all the time or I take a taxi (I don't really take the subway but I am pretty sure there is a station nearby). Taxi to midtown is 5 dollars. Or its about 2 1/2 avenue city blocks to broadway and then just walk up broadway (its a nice walk like 20 minutes and shops along the way). Madison Square Garden (MSG) is 3 avenue blocks and 1 st block (avenue blocks are longer that street blocks). I walk to my apt from there all the time because MSG is where Penn station is (train from Long island). Also the Empire state building is a 5 minute walk.

I Love the city. If you have never been there. There so much to do. I love Broadway shows you can do an evening show. That I highly reccomend. You can do the Empire state building. In my opinion nothing special was there once as a kid. The view is good, if you want to see that, and there is a sky ride. The statue of liberty is a waste of time. You can't go up and on your cruise, look outside a window, you will pass it, much nicer view honestly. So much nightlife. Comedy clubs, Just walk in midtown, flyers everywhere.

Shopping: Soho

5th avenue

many people check out macys (34th a whole city block 6th and 7th and broadway intersects around there)

-even for adults the Toys r us is amaxing. it has an indoor ferris wheel, barbie dreamhouse,

-Bergdorf Goodman is a very nice upscale dept. store so os Bendel's and Barney's

Central park

you can spend a day there and not do everything

gondola rides (for a price not sure how much)

zoo

castle I think its Belvedere castle

also there is Grand Central Station-there is some train exhibit if you are into that, but its beautiful. I never really go there because the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) does not got to Grand Central but it is a gorgeous station

-Since you do have alimited amount of time. Do a Broadway show and dinner in midotwn and walk around Times Square.

We stayed in Queens near Laguardia. We took the subway, even with our 5 year old. Felt very safe. A taxi would be about $25.00 to $35.00 from Laguardia to Midtown. Subway was $2.00 dollars each way. We went to Little Italy, Chinatown, and Times Square. We spent about 5 hours doing this.

The only thing worth seeing near LaGuardia is Shea Stadium if the Mets are playing that night and you're baseball fans. Go into Manhattan(and don't stay at the 30 30). See a show and go for dinner at your favorite type of restaurant. Depending on the time of the year and when it gets dark, go for cocktails either before or after the show at one of the rooftop lounges/restaurants. Have fun.

While I might recommend a certain neighborhood or a bunch of restaurants, I do not really know what you or your family will enjoy. There are many guide books written for tourists coming to New York City. Go to your local library and spend some time picking out one or two things to do.

With limited time, avoid spending a lot of time on line. Don't bother with the Empire State Building, the Statute of Liberty, or the line for discounted Broadway tickets (TKTS) which will take a lot of time that you could otherwise spend enjoying New York City.

Archived