Shrimp Cocktail

My dad is 93 and he always asks for 2 shrimp cocktails for every night on the cruise. Once on Celebrity Century and also on Brilliance, the waiter said he had to have that approved by the head waiter. In both cases the head waiter came to the table and approved it immediately. On Celebrity everyone ordered the shrimp cocktail for every night except for me as I am allergic to shrimp. The waiter decided I needed a cheese plate as everyone had the shrimp cocktail. It was wonderful.

I think on Brilliance, as well as other RCCL ships, the head waiter is making his presence known every night rather than just the first and last night. I believe it is so people know who he/she is and will tip. This is one way to get you to know your head waiter better. My father was very happy with his shrimp cocktail every night. No matter what the reason is for having the head waiter approve it, I'm certain he/she will. When we go on Mariner in November, I am sure he will request it again.

when they bring you shrimp cocktail every night do they also bring cocktail sauce? We love shrimp, but need some cocktail sauce with it. I wasn't sure if they'd bring it out since it may not go with anything on that nights menu.

when they bring you shrimp cocktail every night do they also bring cocktail sauce? We love shrimp, but need some cocktail sauce with it. I wasn't sure if they'd bring it out since it may not go with anything on that nights menu.

Shrimp cocktail is chilled & peeled shrimp served in a "fancy" dish full of cocktail sauce. Just what you're looking for! :D

After having cruised for lotrs of years on lots of cruise lines, we have found, and passed on to others, that if you request an item that is not on the menu every effort will be made to provide it. Of course that only pertains to foodstuffs that they have onboard. Our favorites on a nightly basis are breadsticks, cranberry sauce, cookies and iced tea. We have found that after the first night those things appear on our table regularly. Of course, when we are not planning to dine at our usual table, we inform our waiter of our change in plans so that he will know not to expect us.

We have even found that when a waiter notices you tasting someone else's entree, he will also provide you with a serving of your own.

Happy cruising to all...

The first night ask to speak with the head waiter. tell him your request and it should be no problem at all after thaqt. last year i was on 5 different ships and all i wanted each night was a double shrimp cocktail for my dinner. the request was taken care of with no problem other than they tried to push 2 double shrimp cocktails on me. , lol.

Yes the cocktail sauce is definitely freshly made. As one night they served it, it looked pinker rather than more red and we discovered it was made with much more horseradish (spelling?) but it was delicious! Our waiter always brought the chilled shrimp first, then brought the cocktail sauce and put over our shrimp. Yummy, I wish I could have that kind of service and shrimp every night but alas, it is reality......

Sue

Luv those pictures taminator. I looked in your album and saw a picture of ahi tuna appetizer. where was it served? I would really love to enjoy it, don't mind if it is in the specialty restaurant.

Wonderful pictures! Thanks!

The ahi-tuna appetizer was served in Chops, which is well worth the extra $20 per person IMO. As I said in the caption, it may have been the tastiest tuna I've ever had. I could've eaten a second portion if not for the filet mignon that was on its way. :D

168713755_8acbd3a4c0.jpg

I thought of something else that my husband requested of the head waiter. On Century, when the head waiter asked if my husband were satisfied with his meals, he said he would really like to have liver and onions one night. I, of course, thought he was joking. The waiter said he would see what he could do. Sure enough, on the Thursday night of the cruise, there was a big plate of liver and onions for him. I couldn't believe it. Needless to say, he got a great tip. The waiter/head waiter do try to get things that are requested of them.

PS. That's the last time my husband had liver and onions as I won't make it, lol.

On Celebrity Zenith last month & the waiter made us feel stupid for asking for a shrimp cocktail, day 2 (1st formal night). He actually argued when we asked if there was an alternative menu-- and said "you must understand, Celebrity has changed." It essentially ruined the mood of the night & rest of the cruise!

I just came back from the AOS, and, yes, I asked my waiter on the first night if I could get shrimp every night. He gave me a double order every night. Same thing on the Navigator.

Hi Fred,

Not that you need someone to vouch for you but I'll do it anyway! We enjoyed kidding you about your taste for shrimp AND lobster.:D

Just a note to say how much Eileen and I enjoyed you and Maria's company at dinner.

Buddy

My daughter has had shrimp cocktail at dinner every night for our last 5 cruises. I am just off the Explorer (8/6) and when she asked about this we were told their policy had changed and we could only get it on the night it was offered. I don't know if the wiater was just too lazy to put in the request or if the change was true but in the end she managed to try different apps during the 9 days and loved most of them.

Archived