port to venice hotel

Our cruise next April on the Insignia finishes in Venice and we are staying an extra 2 nights at the Hotel Antiche Figure which is opposite Santa Lucia station. Would anyone now the best way for us to transfer from the ship to the hotel and then from the hotel to the airport. I have read several of the threads but am still totally confused. I think it must be an age thing.:confused:

The possible ways depend on where your ship docks in Venice. If you dock in the main docks then you will be able to take a land taxi to the Piazza Roma and then will need to get from there to the hotel. The hotel may be able to send a porter to assist you in getting your bags there. But because of the Insignia is a smaller ship those are sometimes allowed to dock in a different area closer to San Marco. If that is where your ship is docked you would have to talk with the hotel and see if they can arrange a porter to pick up your luggage at the ship and transport it by handpulled cart across the city. The other option would be to take a water taxi from there to the water taxi stop near the railroad station and then go to your hotel.

Check out this web site for lots of good info on Venice including links to the port site and transportation options.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

Also do a search on the board for Venice and you will find lots of other posts on this topic.

Have a great next cruise.

Our cruise next April on the Insignia finishes in Venice and we are staying an extra 2 nights at the Hotel Antiche Figure which is opposite Santa Lucia station. Would anyone now the best way for us to transfer from the ship to the hotel and then from the hotel to the airport. I have read several of the threads but am still totally confused. I think it must be an age thing.:confused:

We just got off the Oceania Nautica this past Friday in Venice...

The Nautica docked in the main port area and Oceania sent our luggage to the cruise terminal and provided a shuttle down the pier from the ship to the terminal...There we picked up our luggage and proceeded out the other end of the building to more waiting free shuttle buses which took us and our luggage to Piazzale Roma...We used our 24 hour or 72 hour Vaparetto passes to go from there to our hotel (for us, it was the Anastasia, right near the Vallaresso Vaparetti station, walking to the hotel from there)...

After our two night post-cruise hotel stay, we caught the #82 Vaporetto back to P. Roma and picked up the #5 ACTV bus from there to the airport (the cost of which is ALL included with the 24/72 hour vaporetti pass!)

If you do this, leave plenty of time...the Vaporetto ride down the grand canal to P. Roma took about 35 minutes and we had about a 15 minute wait for the bus...which then took about another half an hour to get to the airport...

Of course, a 72 hour Vaporetto pass costs only 25 euro per person and got us all over the city for three days including to Burano, Murano and Lido...

A Water Taxi, one way to the airport or from the ship will get you there a lot more efficiently but will cost around 80 euro plus tip each way...

The Alilagunia boats will take you from San Marco to the Airport for around 12 euro per person each way...

Good luck...

Bruin Steve Thanks very much for all the information, it was just what I needed. How was your hotel, I think it might be worth looking at a more central hotel. We only have a provisional booking at the Antiche Figure. Even though we have taken many cruises, mainly Celebrity, this will be our first on Oceania. How did you find it. What was service, cabin etc like compared to Celebrity? Look forward to your reply, feel a lot happier now.;)

Bruin Steve Thanks very much for all the information, it was just what I needed. How was your hotel, I think it might be worth looking at a more central hotel. We only have a provisional booking at the Antiche Figure. Even though we have taken many cruises, mainly Celebrity, this will be our first on Oceania. How did you find it. What was service, cabin etc like compared to Celebrity? Look forward to your reply, feel a lot happier now.;)

I wrote an entire review and posted it on the Oceania board...Look here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=388756

The Hotel Anastasia was very nice on the whole. My wife, who doesn't like hard beds, found the bed a bit hard...I was okay with it though. The room was fairly small (something we've often found with European hotels)...just large enough for the bed, a chair, a chest/desk with a small TV, two nightstands and not much more. The bathroom was nice enough...with a shower (no tub), sink, toilet, bidet, towel warmer rack...the two windows in the bedroom and one small window in the bath all looked out onto the courtyard the hotel shares with the Westin...

We were on the third floor--numbered Floor 2 in the European style with "O" being the ground floor. The hotel did have an elevator. The air conditioning worked well.

Breakfast was included in the rate and consisted of cold cereals, croissants, cheeses, juices, coffee, tea, hot cocoa, etc. served from 7:30 to 10 am.

Best part of the hotel was the convenient location...Just about a block from the Valaresso Vaporetti Station and a couple of short blocks from Piazza San Marco...right near the Church "San Moises" and thestreet with all the designer shops...The Gondola Station is on the small canal next to the Hotel Violin d'Oro...and you pass under the Violin d' Oro into the small quiet courtyard with the Anastasia and the Westin.

Archived