Liquor in Room (Smuggling)

charlielinda

No I didn't misunderstand anything. I simply see the the connection between the liquor policy and Celebrity's corporate greed. Simple observation and analysis convinces me that the same greed at work in the liquor policy underlies Celebrity's failure to address basic maintenance of thier ships in a timely fashion. Additionally, their disdain for paying customers is clearly displayed in both scenarios.

For all of you who think that this policy is in anyway related to responsibility or preventing drunkenness, or any other noble motivation, I say dream on. This is about profits and nothing else. The bean counters at Celeb see more cash flow and get all excited. It doesn't matter that it’s an insignificant amount, it doesn't matter that it annoys and insults the paying customers who keep them afloat, (no pun intended) they see an extra penny and they need to grab it no matter what the ultimate cost is in terms of passenger dissatisfaction.

This same mentality causes Celebrity to ignore maintenance of their ships until it's too late. They know that they have an ongoing problem with the propulsion systems on their "M' class vessels, they know, or should know, just about how many hours of operation it will be before they have to replace the bearings. Do they act responsibly and schedule maintenance to address the problem before the bearings fail so as not to inconvenience passengers? Hell no! They try to squeeze every last penny out of those bearings inconveniencing and aggravating not only the passengers who have their cruise disrupted when the bearings fail, but all those who have their cruise canceled / delayed while the ship is dry-docked for repairs. Then they further disrespect their paying customers with their "compensation" offer, as if money is what's important to someone who just had a vacation pulled out from under them which they had looked forward to an planned for so long.

Of course none of this would make sense to Celebrity. They are only interested in money and despite their "Be treated famously" advertising, don't even know how to treat people decently. If they did, they would show some respect for their customers by building regular maintenance periods into their schedules instead of trying to squeeze every last penny out of the bearings. Unfortunately, greed is the order of the day up at corporate, as a frequent cruiser, and a frequent customer of Celebrity, I for one am becoming quite tired of it.

disgruntled??

straying a bit from the topic, but interesting.

Getting Booze on board, simple. Get a note from your Doctor stating that the five bottles of Brandy in your luggage are for your heart condition and are for medicinal puposes ONLY. If anyone on board questions the amount, tell'em you have a big heart!

That is cute, thanks for the grin!:D

:eek: :eek: Don't break the rules. The alcohol police will come and get you!:p

If it causes no harm to the public and hopefully there is enough control to not cause harm to yourself what harm is there? X is getting the $$ out of you regardless.

Of course there is the argument that maybe if people didn't "smuggle" the booze on-board that there would be lower prices on alcohol. I say no-way. The ocassional person bringing alcohol on board does no harm economically to X; but they should enforce the age requirment for drinking alcohol!

Is causes no harm to the public if someone doesn't follow the dress code either. it does no harm to X financially if someone hogs a pool chair or doesn't dress formal for dinner on formal night.

Are we going to pick and choose the rules we wish to follow and then follow it up with some bogus justification?

Listen... is that the sound of an axe grinding?

Wouldn't you think that if they had a permanent solution to the pod "issues" that they would have done it and saved themselves a lot of bad PR and money.

I can picture the meeting now. "Yes, we know that diesel power plants and standard propeller drive systems are practical and reliable but can't we install something that will need random major maintenance and disrupt our cruising schedule. Oh, and if we can annoy our passengers that would be a bonus."

Back on topic. At the risk of beating a horse in less than perfect health. The cruiselines have rules. Those rules are published and provided to you prior to your cruise. If you do not care to comply with the policies regarding smoking, dress code, booze, returning to the ship on time, saving chairs, whatever, then the cruiseline has a right to enforce them and impose penalties.

I don't agree with all of the policies and I know most of them are in place to cover somebodies butt or to make money but when I book my cabin I agree to abide by them. If I have a major problem with some particular rule then I will go elsewhere.

It's that simple folks. It's a lot easier to change passengers than to change policies.

I don't know if it qualifies as a "rule", but everyone's cruise documents state a boarding time. A common discussion on these boards is how early can one board and bragging about how early they were able to board.

Regards

I have been on 3 Celebrity cruises in the past twelve months. Each time I have brought my own bottle of scotch which sat on my dressing table in clear view of the room attendent or anyone else who may have come to the door.

What's the worse thing they can do to me? Take the bottle?

Is causes no harm to the public if someone doesn't follow the dress code either. it does no harm to X financially if someone hogs a pool chair or doesn't dress formal for dinner on formal night.

Are we going to pick and choose the rules we wish to follow and then follow it up with some bogus justification?

No, we will just "pick and choose".

Actually, I was playing a little devils advocate. I have to many weight restrictions for my trip to Rome. So, no liqour being brought by me:p . I would be very pleased to buy you a drink if we travel on the same ship.

If I was leaving state-side I probably would be tempted to bring a bottle of Jamison though. "break the rule" and let the chips fall as they may. As long as I don't have to be punished by putting me in the no alcohol cruise:D !

Woo

I'll even spring for some shore excurisons and cab rides....I wonder how big that suitcase is:confused: :D

Dave:eek:

Looks like I will need to get some trunks;) Of course you would have to sleep on deck...isn't that another rule violation:eek: . No saving deck chairs.

In these threads, a lot of people are saying "this is bad PR" or "that's good PR." I have a degree in Public Relations and the concept of PR is creating mutually beneficial relationships between the company and its publics.

I can see how not allowing people to bring alcohol onboard is beneficial to X, but how is it benefiting it's passengers?

I'm not taking sides, I was just wondering if there are actually people out there who applaud this rule.

Also, I'm cruising the Med. next summer, can I bring purchased bottles of water on the ship with me? Or will they try to make me use the stuff they leave in the cabin?

-Liz

In these threads, a lot of people are saying "this is bad PR" or "that's good PR." I have a degree in Public Relations and the concept of PR is creating mutually beneficial relationships between the company and its publics.

I can see how not allowing people to bring alcohol onboard is beneficial to X, but how is it benefiting it's passengers?

I'm not taking sides, I was just wondering if there are actually people out there who applaud this rule.

Also, I'm cruising the Med. next summer, can I bring purchased bottles of water on the ship with me? Or will they try to make me use the stuff they leave in the cabin?

-Liz

We are a selfish lot, of course we don't agree with this policy. I would think that a cruiseline as prestigious takes itself for would want to help the customer a bit. But they do seem to only care about the bottom line. I would love to see the amount of profit they get off an 11 night med. cruise.

Okay, on to other things. you through me into a panic. I leave in a few months for the med and planned on bringing water on as well. We drink quite a bit of water(when not partaking of vino:p ). I hope they are not going to pinch penny's that much:eek:

First of all, I believe it would benefit the guests if liquor can be restricted to those of legal age.

Second, if by enforcing this policy X has in mind keeping the ship safe and in a reasonable state of decorum it's a good thing. However there seems to be a fair bit of cynicism over whether X really has this objective.

I can live with the policy which - as has been pointed out many times - is not a new one. Bringing booze on board is not something I want to do anyway so it's not a benefit to me if I can.

If I'm sleeping in it, its not saved, its being used:D

Okay, I used to vacation in Saratoga Springs. I went to JCA in Albany......Will enter into servitude to cruise;)

Dave:eek:

Servitude huh???:cool: Sounds like the beginning of a wonderful opportunity. :p Saratoga Springs if absolutely wonderful! I live a few hours north of there.

.....I'm not taking sides, I was just wondering if there are actually people out there who applaud this rule.....

-Liz

I am not against the rule. I understand the reason behind it. It is a good reason.

It is for the protection of Cruisers who do not cause havoc against the Cruisers who do.

If the Ship does not have control of the supply of alcohol they cannot cut the supply off from the people who cause havoc when they over indulge. It is as simple as that.

If you are a Havoc Causer they are putting you on notice. If you are not a Havoc Causer I believe you have nothing to worry about.

I can applaud the policy. If my cruise experience is being poorly effected by a Havoc Causer I will fully expect the policy to be enforced. ie all of the Havoc Causers alcohol confiscated and the Havoc Causers water bottles etc.. to be inspected and the Bar Stewards and Sommellier to be instructed to serve them no alcoholic drinks.

This is now mutally beneficial to me, the other non Havoc Causing Cruisers, the Cruise Line and the Cruise Staff. This can even be mutally beneficial to the Havoc Causer if it keeps them from doing something really stupid like falling off of the ship or worse.....

To the non Havoc Causers who bring their own booze aboard ship, I understand your reasons and I personally have no problem with them as long as you do not get out of hand and make my cruise uncomfortable.

I do not believe anyone is going to be stopped from bringing reasonable amounts of liquor onboard ship. I do not believe this has been put in place to increase revenue for X. Time will tell.

Happy Travels

Cindy

there is never a happy medium to anything. Some people will accept the rules some people wont. So if my friend brings her kids with her and we dont agree to the rule that they should be supervised how many would say that is ourtages how I let them run around and Im breaking the rule. This is of course all just for discussion sake. i understand the rules they ask in the contract. I would never let my friends kids run rampant .. The rule for alcohol is partially yes for profit but isnt every company out for that so they can make it a better experience. The other reason is liabllity. I know everyone here is responsible but it still only takes one person who sneaks alcohol on to cause the trouble and have a major law suit there. I completely understand the liabilty part since i work in the resort industry it is a very tricky balancing act with guests all the time.

In general my opinion if you still want to bring the alcohol on so be it but dont be a hypocrate and complain about other people who dont follow rules you think they should like the children ones. If you think there looking to make more of a profit of you dont sail with them. If you complain about the price of alcohol and think it is outrageous buy a cheaper cabin. the liquor prices yes they are more but not much more then a lot of places I know. Yeah the nice family run local tavern will be much cheaper but if you want those prices go there. Overhead on ships is more and more...profit margins are very thin...my friend is in the accounting department for princess so Im very aware

Im not attacking anyone here these are my opinions. To me the rules are there and it is the individuals choice to choose or not to choose to obey them to me i do

Have a great evening everyone

I am not against the rule. I understand the reason behind it. It is a good reason.

It is for the protection of Cruisers who do not cause havoc against the Cruisers who do.

If the Ship does not have control of the supply of alcohol they cannot cut the supply off from the people who cause havoc when they over indulge. It is as simple as that.

If you are a Havoc Causer they are putting you on notice. If you are not a Havoc Causer I believe you have nothing to worry about.

I can applaud the policy. If my cruise experience is being poorly effected by a Havoc Causer I will fully expect the policy to be enforced. ie all of the Havoc Causers alcohol confiscated and the Havoc Causers water bottles etc.. to be inspected and the Bar Stewards and Sommellier to be instructed to serve them no alcoholic drinks.

This is now mutally beneficial to me, the other non Havoc Causing Cruisers, the Cruise Line and the Cruise Staff. This can even be mutally beneficial to the Havoc Causer if it keeps them from doing something really stupid like falling off of the ship or worse.....

To the non Havoc Causers who bring their own booze aboard ship, I understand your reasons and I personally have no problem with them as long as you do not get out of hand and make my cruise uncomfortable.

I do not believe anyone is going to be stopped from bringing reasonable amounts of liquor onboard ship. I do not believe this has been put in place to increase revenue for X. Time will tell.

Happy Travels

Cindy

You still haven't explained how this problem is solved by people drinking X-provided alcohol. Yes, they can stop serving somebody at the bar or the dining room, but if the guests have ordered bottles of booze to their room as a welcome aboard package (not to mention the minibar), doesn't the problem remain? Can't they continue to get every bit as hammered as if they'd brought their own liquor aboard? Is X going to search their room and confiscate the bottles they already sold to these problem drinkers? If SO, then why can't they just allow people to take their own liquor on board and simply cut off (and confiscate from) those who misbehave?

Honestly, I have no problem with the main policy, and it is not a new one (so I'm not sure why everybody's suddenly so upset). Liquor, and even soft drinks were NEVER allowed to be brought aboard. Just because the rule wasn't fully enforced doesn't mean it never existed. Those of you who have brought booze (or water or Diet Coke) aboard were violating the rules. It makes absolutely no difference if you did it openly or smuggled it - it was still a violation. Basically, it seems that what is upsetting people now is not the rule itself, but the implication that it will now be enforced.

The only thing I'm unclear about is what the policy used to be about wine. Obviously, the line had a policy of charging corkage fee when guests bring their own bottles of wine to the restaurant. Does this mean that bringing wine aboard was PERMITTED, or were they just being hypocritical by charging to uncork and serve what was essentially contraband?

Honestly, I think that if they allow wine on for consumption in the dining room/specialty restaurant, I personally will have nothing to complain about. The other restrictions were always there and are also there on other mainstream cruise lines. If that diminishes your enjoyment severely, I am sorry, but you were not allowed to do it in the past, either. Just be grateful that you were allowed to get away with it as many times as you did...

DrewB,

We are just having a healthy and fun discussion. Yeah, it isn't anything new to cruisers, but it is a sore spot for many. I think the fear that more emphasis will be put on those who bring their own "beverages" on board is sparking peaked interest. The "rule" leaves grey areas. Are they still going to let us bring our own wine aboard if we pay the corkage fee. I would assume that since it isn't mentioned it isn't an issue. They are making the money off the wine. In the past they haven't been critical of those bringing their own liqour on board, atleast it would seem so. I won't be bringing my own liqour, but I would love to buy some local wine ashore and bring it on.

Just grey areas that leave alot of room for discussion and debate.

Woo

...You still haven't explained how this problem is solved by people drinking X-provided alcohol. Yes, they can stop serving somebody at the bar or the dining room, but if the guests have ordered bottles of booze to their room as a welcome aboard package (not to mention the minibar), doesn't the problem remain? Can't they continue to get every bit as hammered as if they'd brought their own liquor aboard? Is X going to search their room and confiscate the bottles they already sold to these problem drinkers?...

You make a good point. But how long is it going to take an alcohol abuser to empty the minibar? How long is it going to take them to empty a few bottles that they may have purchased through X prior to the cruise?

I fully expect X to confiscate all liquor that any Havoc Causer has in their possesion including that which has been purchased "legally"... Perhaps they would give a refund on unopened bottles of "legal" alcohol?

Now, what I expect and what X will do are probably 2 different things.

...If SO, then why can't they just allow people to take their own liquor on board and simply cut off (and confiscate from) those who misbehave?...

If there is no policy banning a passenger from bringing their own alcohol aboard how is X going to be able to confiscate it? ie No policy banning it = No leg to stand on when confiscating it.

Happy Travels

Cindy

Archived