Alaska Southbound 8/16/06-carnival Spirit

CraftyDD

OK - 14 days to go and I think all I have left to do is pack.

I think we booked different excursions from everyone else since I have not heard much about ours:

Sitka - Bike & Hike

Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier & Float Trip (gentle white water rafting)

Skagway - White Mountain Pass & Yukon Route Railroad & Kayak

Ketchikan - Knudson fishing

Any info on these. We also want to sightsee in towns and may do other things if time permits

Hey Crafty,

Have a group (family) going on this same cruise. We have booked the Mendenhall float trip (1:30 pm). What time is your float?

Am also looking at the Skagway rail trip.

Is it too early to pack? lol

See you on the ship.

Laura

Hey Crafty,

Have a group (family) going on this same cruise. We have booked the Mendenhall float trip (1:30 pm). What time is your float?

See you on the ship.

Laura

IF you are willing to walk a short distance, you can book the train at the Whitepass Rail station and board at the depot, which is a more enjoyable boarding experience, and it is less money. I think you can book online. I have done both the docks and the walk to the depot. The walk is short and the depot makes the whole experience more authentic. Also, the rail car isn't as packed, and you meet non-cruise tourists as well. I bought a package deal with the fast ferry to Haines, but I think you can get the tickets online from the Whitepass depot for about ten dollars less per person.

Bon Voyage to you both. I still have 363 days to wait for my Spirit southbound.

Would you please let me know about your White Moutain Rail and kayak trip. Thinking of doing that one too.

Have a fantastic time...

Renee

The first time we boarded from the ship dock and it was the second train around noon. It was hot in August, 2004. The next year we boarded the early train at the train depot and it was comfortable weather in August, 2005. The depot isn't a long distance off, and the walk is a leisurely one. You will get a more authentic experience at the train depot. We didn't kayak in Skagway.

Hey Crafty,

See you on the ship.

Laura

Our float trip is at 9:30. We booked everything thru cruise just to be on the safe side since we are doing things as groups - although I have read alot that you can do the same type of excursions on your own cheaper. We took the easy road.

Suitcases are out and lists are made. Will start loading this weekend.

We are a group of about 80-90 people called "Cajun Cruisers". We have had a few gatherings with the final one last night. Everyone is very excited and counting the days.

Our float trip is at 9:30. We booked everything thru cruise just to be on the safe side since we are doing things as groups - although I have read alot that you can do the same type of excursions on your own cheaper. We took the easy road.

Suitcases are out and lists are made. Will start loading this weekend.

We are a group of about 80-90 people called "Cajun Cruisers". We have had a few gatherings with the final one last night. Everyone is very excited and counting the days.

I did reply elsewhere, and my opinion only, I never recommend the Mendenhall float trip, very brief distant view of Mendenhall rest of trip is trees and back yards. Your money is far better spent elsewhere. I have taken many Alaska tours and have many high recommendations, this is near the bottom, a poor choice.

We are also on this cruise (party of 6). We leave on the 9th for a 7 day land tour. We are doing the float trip in Denali. It's a mild one (2 of us are not swimmers). We are staying 2 nights at Denali Bluff. Does any one know if this is a ok place? When we board ship - we have booked - Orca Whale Watch - and Coastal Ice Field Excursion. Hope to have time for Red Dog Saloon, Mendenhall and Mt. Robert Tranway. In Skagway we booked the White Pass Railroad though Carnival. This is the only tour I booked though them. Probaby should have booked though White Passs but one couple cannot walk (one has cane) so hopefully I won't be sorry (should be same scienery). In Ketchikan we booked Sea Wind Aviation Float Plane and the Lumberjack Show. Then I need time to shop - hope I can fit all this in. Budjet Queen/Murray - any comments on these tours and hotel. (Hotels - Anchorage Ramada Inn, Denali Bluff, Fairbanks-Bridgewater Hotel.) So excited - cannot sleep nights!

and Coastal Ice Field Excursion. and the Lumberjack Show.!

We enjoyed the tour with Coastal. We brought little collaspible drinking cups with us and were able to drink some glacier water.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/552048765/2552608590061183369ZAFRun

http://community.webshots.com/photo/552048765/2421772810061183369AJYVKn

http://community.webshots.com/photo/552048765/2740417280061183369oXsstb

The Lumberjack show was fun. Right up my 11-yr. old's alley!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/552048765/2908440180061183369GBnNyN

http://community.webshots.com/photo/552048765/2782039790061183369WrNstT

We did the Kayak and loved it...if you can, get paul and nick as your tour guides. If you can also go and see the glacier point wilderness safari. If you are in Ketchikan check out the canopy zip line excursion!!

We're booked for a guided horseback ride with Joni in Skagway at 10:30. We are driving a rental car to the Emerald Lake Ranch. The tour with Joni will last about 2-2 1/2 hours. Skagway is our shortest port time, 7-4:30. If anyone is interested in this one, I'll post the info for you.:)

We did the Kayak and loved it...if you can, get paul and nick as your tour guides. If you can also go and see the glacier point wilderness safari. If you are in Ketchikan check out the canopy zip line excursion!!

Well -we are doig kayak with White Mountain Pass Train in Skagway and since this will be our first kayak experience don't know if we are going to want to do it twice.

However we just thought that since we are not into helicopters or small planes there would be something to get us close to Mendenhall Glacier. What about the Mendenhall Lake Canoe Adventure.

Also with our cruise only 12 days away is it too late to change?

I would LOVE to have a copy of the SB Capers if someone could help me out.

I'll try to remember to say them. But I know I will be at the very edge of my weight limit on luggage:) :) :) . I always overpack. But paper can't weigh that much

I'll try to remember to say them. But I know I will be at the very edge of my weight limit on luggage:) :) :) . I always overpack. But paper can't weigh that much
If you are like me I save a complete set. If you make a copy when you return I will repay you the copy and shipping costs.

OK - DH and I are trying again - see what you think

In Juneau we should arrive in port around 7AM. Will probably not get off boat until around 8 or 9. We will take the bus to Mendenhall and do one of the trails. Then we will go back into town and spend some time walking around and do the Tram. We were not able to book with Capt. Larry so may be opting for an excursuion offered by carnival either the Evening Whale Quest or the Whale Watching and Wildlife Quest.

Does anyone have an opinion??

OK - DH and I are trying again - see what you think

In Juneau we should arrive in port around 7AM. Will probably not get off boat until around 8 or 9. We will take the bus to Mendenhall and do one of the trails. Then we will go back into town and spend some time walking around and do the Tram. We were not able to book with Capt. Larry so may be opting for an excursuion offered by carnival either the Evening Whale Quest or the Whale Watching and Wildlife Quest.

Does anyone have an opinion??

http://www.alaskawhalewatch.com/

They give you referrals to other independents as well as offering their own. I had the best whale watch in Juneau, just booking at the dock from one of the independents. They included a minivan transport to and from the whalewatch dock. We met Petra from Slovenia a vacationing grad student and amatuer phototgrapher. We met a native Alaska woman, who shared her Alaska culture with us. We saw whales, too. I am taking another tour to Tracy Arm with an independent I was referred to by Harv and Marv.:)

Archived