Question about onboard gym use

My only experience has been with Mariner, but I suspect the rules are the same on all of the ships.

The gym facilities are "free" (well, you paid for them with your fare). There are some special classes, like spinning or yoga, that can incur a separate charge of $10. But to use the weight machines, free weights, treadmills, ellipticals, steppers, bikes, etc., there is no additional charge. On Mariner they have fabulous Life Fitness equipment ... top of the line stuff.

A can of pop in the mini bar was $1.50 plus gratuity.

Just wondering if you have to pay for gym time or if any old joe shmoe can just walk in and work out on the machines/equipment/etc. Anyone have any idea? Also, if anyone knows how much a coke costs onboard...?THANX
Well, not just ANY "old joe shmoe" can use the gym. You have to be an actual passenger on the ship.............

:D :D :D

The crew have their own exercise facility. They are not permitted to use the ShipShape center that the passengers use.

That's not entirely true. While some ship's do have a crew gym, I have seen crew using the SS center many times. You can tell b/c they also wear their name badges.

The difference in ship's personnel that can use the gym depends on if they are designated as crew or as staff. Crew, which would include waiters and cabin stewards are not allowed to use guest facilities. Staff, which would obviously include officers and also includes the singers and dancers are allowed to use some guest facilities.

The difference in ship's personnel that can use the gym depends on if they are designated as crew or as staff. Crew, which would include waiters and cabin stewards are not allowed to use guest facilities. Staff, which would obviously include officers and also includes the singers and dancers are allowed to use some guest facilities.

This is correct. All crew including all staff are given a rank or equivalent rank based on their position onboard. This is then used in the privelige matrix to determine which passenger facilities can be used by which crew and staff

We were told by a staff memeber using the gym one day that there are some restrictions on the use of the gym by staff. She said that they cannot use the gym when the passenger count exceeds some # and that they are supposed to relinquish the cardio machines if passengers are waiting to use them. I tend to work out at odd hours, generally mid-day or when the ship is in port. Often it is me and maybe one or two other passengers and every one else is staff. I have seen the captain in there, but mostly it is the entertainment staff (dancers) who are there.

if you go between 8 and 9 pm you will find only a handful of ship's crew using the gym, no crowds at all

Of course, this is either right after dinner (main seating) or during dinner. Not to many people are going to skip dinner just to work out. Granted not everyone eats in the main dining room but, I would bet a majority do. Thus, you'd have the gym to yourself if you're one of the few who doesn't feel the need to dine at the scheduled times in the main dining room.

Archived