Snorkeling for NON-swimmers?

Leo Jay

I know it's possible to enjoy snorkelling without being a particularly good swimmer, but I can't swim at all. All the times I've tried to learn over the years, the big hurdle was that I can't even figure out how to FLOAT.

Otherwise, I'm a reasonably athletic and well-coordinated guy, and I'm not afraid of the water per se, (except for a natural, healthy lack of interest in drowning).

Are there any non-swimming snorkelers who can give me feedback about how satisfying (or frustrating) your snorkeling experience has been despite your lack of swimming skills? Thanks.

I'm not a non-swimmer, but i'm not a great swimmer. If your problem is being able to float your in luck. Just make sure that you rent a vest, it's inflatable. Even though I can swim it really came in handy when we got out and needed a break just to inflate the vest and relax. Ahhh, I can feel it now.:rolleyes:

Totally agree with letssoar. I can swim but I'm not crazy about it and was always somewhat fearful of the water, especially deep water. But I finally learned how to snorkle and now I love it! The inflatable vest is very helpful, because you can just forget about having to float and concentrate on what you're seeing. You can buy your own - not very expensive, easy to pack, and easy to use. I hope you find snorkeling as much fun as I now do!!

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I think I'm probably better off just renting a vest -- after this trip I'm not likely to use it again anytime soon. I'm a little leery of renting the tube thingy* that you have to put into your mouth though -- can you buy those separately, or are they part of the whole mask apparatus?

EDIT: Duh, I just found out that the "tube thingy" is, in fact, the SNORKEL! Can you tell I'm clueless?

If you can find a nearby dive shop, you can be fitted for the mask and tube. I too am afraid of the deep water and do not like to put my face in water. I took lessons at our dive shop and have been snorkeling twice. I have also use something like a boogie board to hold onto, even wearing a vest. Just that extra level of comfort. What you can see under water is amazing and you will forget about your fear for awhile. The only thing I still do not like is having to fight the currents and waves. Hey, go for it!!!

Hi Leo Jay,

If you are leery about the tube because of sanitation, I can relate. Make sure you rent the equipment at a reputable place.

I believe you can buy the tube separate from the mask, but you'd need to make sure the tube has a hook or strap that can be held up by the mask strap. Go to a store and perhaps you can get a better idea what your options are.

My husband can't swim either but he's able to snorkel by wearing a life vest. At first it was a bit hard for him because he was afraid of drawing. I took him snorkeling to places where he could still stand (usally 5 feet deep or less) and that gave him a sense of comfort.

When we did the Disney cruise, at Grand Cayman, we took the neatest tour--the Nautilus Undersea Tour. This little boat half under and half above water. It’s the best way to see coral reefs, shipwrecks, and all the cool stuff under the water without having to wear a lot of gear and breathe through a tube.

Even though I’ve snorkeled before, this was comfort--more of what I prefer now.

If you'd like you can read more about our cruise adventures at http://www.on-a-cruise.com

Leo Jay,

Good advice from everyone here. You mentioned that you have a hard time even floating. If you're like me we sink like rocks. The key for me is to keep kicking. Fins do take some time to get used to, but they go a long way in keeping me floating without getting tired. As mentioned before, go in the water from the shore and take breaks before you get tired.

Enjoy!

Leo Jay,

Good advice from everyone here. You mentioned that you have a hard time even floating. If you're like me we sink like rocks. The key for me is to keep kicking. Fins do take some time to get used to, but they go a long way in keeping me floating without getting tired. As mentioned before, go in the water from the shore and take breaks before you get tired.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the tip.

There is another option, depending upon your ports of call. Now, you are probably going to think I'm nuts when I suggest this, so let me give you some background first.

I can swim the width, not the length, of a big pool. I can probably dog paddle the length. That's the extent of my swimming ability. However, note this side fact, it is much easier to swim further with fins on.

My husband is a scuba diver, so I decided to learn to snorkle, using a vest of course. I can do it, but not for very long because I am pooped after about two minutes. Seriously.

Anyway, while in Bora Bora I tried the Aqua Safari excursion. It is a helmet dive, and it is offered in many Caribbean ports. Now don't panic, I'm going to explain. We were in about 15 to 20 feet of water. You wear your regular swimsuit, no special outfit required. They put a helmet on you that has glass on three sides, kind of like a home aquarium tank. Each one has an individual hose that is hooked to an air tank onboard the boat. You decend a ladder and walk around on the bottom. No swimming required.

Before you scream "claustrophobic", no it is not at all. My friend who went with me is very claustrophobic, and took a lot of persuading. She was amazed that it didn't bother her at all, probably because of the glass all around. Believe it or not, you can even wear your glasses, and can even put your hand up under the helmet and scratch your nose! For lots of pictures, go to our French Polynesia review at http://www.thepreismans.com and look under Bora Bora.

TP%20BB%20helmet%203.jpgTP%20BB%20helmet%208.jpg

Anyway, while in Bora Bora I tried the Aqua Safari excursion. It is a helmet dive, and it is offered in many Caribbean ports.

Sounds great - thanks for sharing! Do you remember roughly what it cost, and for how long?

We are doing a helmet dive in Cozumel through RCI, and it will be $92. The excursion is about 2 hrs., but it includes a trip to a pearl farm. I think we are supposed to be underwater for 25 min. They let you snorkle afterward.

The one I did in Bora Bora was $84 and we were actually underwater about 15 min.

One of the excursions in St. Thomas is a helmet dive, offered by Coral World Ocean Park and is $89 through Carnival. Only $69 direct with them...

http://www.coralworldvi.com/sea-trekkin.shtml

vincenzo:)

Cool. But I followed a link and came upon snuba, which looks even better. I can't tell, though, if you need to be able to swim to do that. I wouldn't think so, but can someone tell me for sure?

If you can practice a little before you leave, you will have much more confidence. See if the local dive shop offers lessons. If not, have a friend show you -in shallow water or with a lifejacket, how to clear your mask and snorkel.

Beth

Cool. But I followed a link and came upon snuba, which looks even better. I can't tell, though, if you need to be able to swim to do that. I wouldn't think so, but can someone tell me for sure?

I was just going to post that!

I don't think you really need to know how to swim, it looks like fun!

I was just going to post that!

I don't think you really need to know how to swim, it looks like fun!

Yeah, I may have to try that!

If you can practice a little before you leave, you will have much more confidence. See if the local dive shop offers lessons. If not, have a friend show you -in shallow water or with a lifejacket, how to clear your mask and snorkel.

Beth

I split my time between North Jersey and NYC -- I don't think there is such a thing as a "local dive shop" for me :) . But I might have to get myself down to the local Y or something just to get used to even being in water for the first time in God-only-knows-how-many years.

I split my time between North Jersey and NYC -- I don't think there is such a thing as a "local dive shop" for me :) . But I might have to get myself down to the local Y or something just to get used to even being in water for the first time in God-only-knows-how-many years.

The Y is a good choice. But do check the Yellow Pages for a dive shop, almost every town has one, even small places like NYC. These stores offer training classes, sell equipment and organize travel to underwater destinations.

Beth

Yeah, I may have to try that!

These are the dive shops in NJ, but I think the training they offer will be more centered around diving, not being comfortable in the water or general swimming:

http://www.scubanj.org/NJshoplist.html

A YMCA might be a better choice or a local Boys club if there isn't a 'Y' close to you.

The Y is a good choice. But do check the Yellow Pages for a dive shop, almost every town has one, even small places like NYC. These stores offer training classes, sell equipment and organize travel to underwater destinations.

Beth

:) Thanks. I guess I've just never run into one in NYC, and don't think of the city as having those kinds of places. But as I google, I see there are a few places.

These are the dive shops in NJ, but I think the training they offer will be more centered around diving, not being comfortable in the water or general swimming:

http://www.scubanj.org/NJshoplist.html

A YMCA might be a better choice or a local Boys club if there isn't a 'Y' close to you.

It looks like maybe Manhattan dive shops would be good for getting a sense of the equipment options, and the Y for actual underwater experience. Thanks.

One thing I would suggest is to see if your local pool has a snorkeling class. Our does. Local dive shops have those as well. Practice before you go.

I first snorkled about 8 years ago. Just got married. Hubby took me to the local pool and taught me to snorkel.

I LOVE to snorkel.

Another thing I realize 8 years later....I just got new snorkel equipment to fit ME. I was using hubby's equipment. Boy, what a difference.

The mask doesn't leak, the fins don't slip off.

Archived