"anytime dining" question:

jspirit

Hi! We are new to Princess and have a few questions:

For the anytime dining, is it possible to make a standing reservation for a certain time all week? Also, on " Formal Nights" in the main dining room, do we still have to bring suits for the men, or are nice pants, shirt ( and tie) alright?

Also, any ideas of what times the shows are in the evenings? ( Carribean Princess, xmas time)

Thanks for your help!

Hi! We are new to Princess and have a few questions:

For the anytime dining, is it possible to make a standing reservation for a certain time all week?

Yes.
Also, on " Formal Nights" in the main dining room, do we still have to bring suits for the men, or are nice pants, shirt ( and tie) alright?
ZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP. Opening up that can of worms....................

It is usually a dressy crowd on Princess. I recommend the suit and tie, if you don't want to put on a tux. It's just two nights of your life. And you'll look SSSSOOOOOOOOOO handsome, all of the others will be drooling over you. :)

Also, any ideas of what times the shows are in the evenings? ( Carribean Princess, xmas time)

Thanks for your help!

There are quite a few different shows at different times. Basically, they go on all evening, so regardless of when you eat, you can see lots of entertainment. You can also look ahead each day at the Patter, see what shows you really want to see, then schedule your dinner reservation for that night accordingly. That's what we did, and it worked GREAT.

Bon Voyage!

From some of the posts I have read here lately, some passengers are having a difficult time on some of the ships making that standing reservation for dinner without calling each day to make it.

So the answer might be, "you SHOULD be able to".

I've always been able to get a standing reservation with no problem. The Diamond once had their computers down and weren't able to handle reservations the whole trip... but somehow they managed to seat my at 8PM every night... I had, maybe a ten minute wait on a few occasions... but waited with a pager in the piano bar. Not a problem. As far as "dress" goes. I agree with the previous poster. I'm not usually a suit and tie person, but there is something fun about formal night. Now I do cheat a bit. I put my suit on for dinner, then run back to the room to change before the show. Not into jean shorts and a hawaiian shirt, but just something more comfortable.

If you simply REFUSE to wear a suit, I would at least bring a jacket to wear over whatever you have.

Just my advice. For what it's worth.

I've done traditional dining on RCI and Celebrity. That included dress code suggestions for every night. ( Formal, casual, semi-formal) and I've done freestyle on NCL, which included not only freedom to choose where and when to eat but also freedom to dress casually every night in the dining rooms, if you so wished. I'm wondering how Princess anytime dining compares with NCL freestyle.

Are you able to eat at the time of your choice every night but still expected to follow recommended dress codes, or what?

I've done traditional dining on RCI and Celebrity. That included dress code suggestions for every night. ( Formal, casual, semi-formal) and I've done freestyle on NCL, which included not only freedom to choose where and when to eat but also freedom to dress casually every night in the dining rooms, if you so wished. I'm wondering how Princess anytime dining compares with NCL freestyle.

Are you able to eat at the time of your choice every night but still expected to follow recommended dress codes, or what?

Yes.

There is a buffet where you may dress as you like, as long as your body is covered. :) (I saw some uncovered bodies at lunch.<shudder>)

Generally, you can make a standing reservation for before 6PM or after 8PM. Normally, you cannot make a reservation in Anytime dining between 6 - 8PM.

The dress code is for the ship, not the dining room, so that if you don't want to bring a jacket for formal night, your options are room service or the buffet. Nice pants and a shirt are fine for Smart Casual but not for Formal nights. I just got back last night from the Sea Princess for two weeks with three formal nights. With 85% of the passengers from the U.K., I was surprised at the number of males, including small boys, in formalwear on formal nights. Even on Smart Casual nights, people were pretty dressed up.

The dress code is for the ship, not the dining room, so that if you don't want to bring a jacket for formal night, your options are room service or the buffet. Nice pants and a shirt are fine for Smart Casual but not for Formal nights. I just got back last night from the Sea Princess for two weeks with three formal nights. With 85% of the passengers from the U.K., I was surprised at the number of males, including small boys, in formalwear on formal nights. Even on Smart Casual nights, people were pretty dressed up.

I believe that the dress code is for the dining room. I have always dressed up for dinner and then changed into more comfortable clothes for the shows and I have never had a problem.:)

I believe that the dress code is for the dining room. I have always dressed up for dinner and then changed into more comfortable clothes for the shows and I have never had a problem.:)

The dress code is techinally for the entire evening, but with that said, my husband always took off his coat at least. Luckily, I had a really, really comfy dress otherwise, I would have changed as well. Plenty of people were in the shows on formal night in shorts and t-shirts.

As far as dinner goes, we had anytime dining and I was shocked to see the way some people were dressed. One family had a mother and daughter in casual sundresses and the father and son in dress pants and short sleeve button up shirts (a fashion no no in my book)...no ties. I also saw a man in khaki pants and a short sleeve black silk shirt untucked. They had no problem being seated, although they did look out of place at dinner.

.................ducking............

........................and weaving........................

I believe the Princess Patter states that the evening's dress code is to be observed for the entire evening's activities.

ducking.................

weaving..............................

evening bag over my head.........................................

I am starting to feel right at home on the Princess site. We have been on 4 other cruises , but this is our first on this line and we are really looking forward to it.

Still wish we could lighten our luggage by leaving out 3 suits, though...

Has anyone actually been able to make the standing reservation for a time between 6 and 8 pm? What about if we have a health issue?

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

We were on the Sun Princess a week ago. On formal nights, everyone I saw in the dining rooms was dressed appropriately. The same was true on smart casual nights. However, on formal nights, many, many people dressed down after dinner. Not all, but most. I changed down to smart casual, there were some that went as far as jean and t-shirts. It was more the case with men, losing the jackets and ties, a lot of the women stayed in thier dresses. Well, that sounded a bit funny, but you know what I mean!

MD

I am starting to feel right at home on the Princess site. We have been on 4 other cruises , but this is our first on this line and we are really looking forward to it.

Has anyone actually been able to make the standing reservation for a time between 6 and 8 pm? What about if we have a health issue?

you could always rent tuxes from http://www.cruiselineformal.com. My BIL has done it twice so far with no problems.

Bill

We just came off the Diamond Princess yesterday and did the Anytime Dining. We absolutely LOVED it! This was our first cruise and the choice of dining rooms and times worked really well for us.

Every night we had a reservation between 6 and 8pm. We were a two-person party so maybe that makes a difference. We tried all four of the anytime dining rooms, plus the Sterling Steakhouse (which was fantastic) and the buffet.

We had no problems making our reservations on the day of or the previous day and we never waited for a table!!!

I know that it sounds like "hearsay", but we spoke to many people (it's amazing how friendly and chatty people become after they've had a near-death experience with you! ;)) who had standing reservations between 7 and 8 P.M.

Hope you enjoy Princess, we sure do.

Good idea about renting a tux if you don't want to carry, but also, how about bringing one suit, and three shirts? Cleaning available on board if necessary. We were not able to make reservations between 6 and 8pm, BUT we never had trouble being seated between 6 and 8 pm. We had to wait once, with a buzzer thing-ie, but we only waited for about 5 minutes, and we had requested a table for two. We could have been seated immediately if we wanted to join a larger table. If you need to eat early for health reasons, but cannot eat before 6, you could discuss with Maitre'd, and I would bet he could help you.

Shows seem to be (I'm old, brain cramps) around 7:30 and 10...............will be in the Princess Patter (Princess' version of the daily newsletter, delivered to your cabin the evening before it applies).

Hope you have a great cruise...

No, it's no problem changing your clothes after dinner but as has been said, the Patter clearly states the dress code for the ship for the evening.

No, it's no problem changing your clothes after dinner but as has been said, the Patter clearly states the dress code for the ship for the evening.

I just read my old patters and it does say for the evening. Then it also says no short or t-shirts are allowing in the dining room. I guess I assumed that you only had to dress up for dinner. Maybe I should start reading everything carefully.:o

So how do people get away with not dressing up to eat at the buffet?:confused:

I am sitting here with the Patter from 7/12 and 7/18. The sum total of words about dressing for formal night:

One line, absolutely buried and not highlighted at all:

"This evening's dress code is formal".

Over and out. That's it. Nothing about dining rooms, ship, anything. Just those words.

Edited to add: In the 7/18 Patter, there is a section on the front page. Heading: Dress Code. Text: Please be reminded that shorts & T-shirts are not permitted in the dining rooms during dinner hours.

This is on the FORMAL NIGHT.

We were On CB July 2005. We made a standing reservation for 2 in the Palms Dining Room for the entire week.I notified them after we had made a reservatoion for sterling steakhouse for one evening, but kept the reservation otherwise. No problem

Loved the CB....

Looking forward to the Grand March 10' 07

I am sitting here with the Patter from 7/12 and 7/18. The sum total of words about dressing for formal night:

One line, absolutely buried and not highlighted at all:

"This evening's dress code is formal".

Over and out. That's it. Nothing about dining rooms, ship, anything. Just those words.

Edited to add: In the 7/18 Patter, there is a section on the front page. Heading: Dress Code. Text: Please be reminded that shorts & T-shirts are not permitted in the dining rooms during dinner hours.

This is on the FORMAL NIGHT.

Exactly... the Patter gives the evening's dress code every day. It's also listed at the top of the Patter, in the banner, so there's no way anyone could miss the dress code for the evening. It's assumed without spelling it out that the dress code is for the ship. Just about everyone dresses for the evening but some people, particularly formal nights, go back and change after dinner. Not many, but some. I have no problem with that because they're obviously comfortable looking out of place.

Archived