Any problems boarding ship?

teresa222

My friend booked the cruise, and it is on his credit card. Will I have any problems boarding the ship in Mobile with my birth certificate?

Thanx!!

Teresa - This looks like 2 different questions.
  1. If the cruise is this year (ending by 12/31/06) you will be able to board using your raised seal birth certificate and drivers lisence. Any cruises returning after 12/31 you will need a passport.

2. You can put your shipboard account on your own credit card either when you pre-register on line or at dockside checkin. If you want to use cash that will be handled at checkin only.

Hope this helps,

Charlie

If the cruise is this year (ending by 12/31/06) you will be able to board using your raised seal birth certificate and drivers lisence. Any cruises returning after 12/31 you will need a passport.

Hope this helps,

Charlie

-- another question... I don't drive, but have a state legal picture ID but it has expired. Will that do?

(cruise is in Sept.)

Thanx!

If you have a "State Legal picture" but it has expired, you do NOT have a State Legal Picture.

Renew it; you need it for flying just as you need it for boarding a ship and REboarding a ship if you disembark in ports.

You MUST have legal ID not only to get on the ship, but also to get on a plane to get to the peir thanks to 9/11. Legal ID must be presented to customs when you get OFF the ship at the end of cruise.

As far as credit card, if you check-in with your friend, he may authorize you to sign for charges that will end up on his card. Instead, you may also produce your card or put up cash at check-in.

If the cruise is under your name, you may be able to log onto to the cruise website and sign up for your cruise. Doing pre-registration saves a LOT of time on the dock.

I just have to add, if you're not age 21 or older, and you're not on Princess or Disney, you're not going to be allowed on the ship unless your friend is either age 25 or 21 (depending on the cruise line). Every line, other than the two I named, has an age requirement of 21 to cruise without parent/guardian.

Also, make sure your name on your cruise ticket is the same as on your photo ID, which has to be current and not expired. You will not be allowed on the ship without a current photo ID. If the names on the ticket and ID don't match, you won't be allowed to board.

When I read your question, I had not thought of the age possibility, but why not get a passport? You will need it next year anyway, get it now and save yourself any problem in the future. You will need it even if you only want to come to Canada after this year.

If the cruise is this year (ending by 12/31/06) you will be able to board using your raised seal birth certificate and drivers lisence.

The raised seal is no longer required. Many states are now issuing B/Cs on state watermark paper with no raised seal.

BUT, Teresa, you must make sure you have a state-issued certified copy, not a xeroxed copy or a hospital certificate of birth.

Also, your photo ID must be current, not expired. And yes, the name on the cruise documents must be the same as on your photo ID.

The raised seal is no longer required. Many states are now issuing B/Cs on state watermark paper with no raised seal.

Cotton

Thanks for the update. We had passports when we started cruising and are riding on renewals now. Never used a BC but thought that the raised seal was a requirement.

Charlie

Also, the reason why I'm not getting a passport is : I heard it could be a little pricey (around $180) and I also heard that it can take as much as 11 weeks to arrive. (I sail Sept. 30th)

Actual prices for a first time passport: "The passport application fee is $55. The security surcharge is $12. The execution fee is $30. The total is $97." Expedited service would cost an extra $60.

Would definately need expedited service for Sept 30th, my renewal just took right at 6 weeks.

Archived