Getting to the pier (NYC) - opinions needed

rebecca.sarge

Hi, I have 3 options I'm trying to decide between and would love some feedback.

I'm going from Hartford to NYC, and my options are...

Driving into NYC and parking (for about $200 including gas)

Taking the Greyhound bus, then a taxi (for $107 plus taxi fare)

or

Taking Amtrak, then a taxi (for $188 plus taxi fare)

I'm considering comfort and simplicity over money I think, as I'm traveling as a solo adult with my 2 kids, ages 16 and 8.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Rebecca:

Based on your statement that you are considering comfort and simplicity over money, I would suggest that you drive in and park at the port. The price differences are not that much when you consider that via Greyhound or Amtrak you have to schlep your luggage a number of times (home to mass transit, mass transit to cab) versus putting luggage into the vehicle and taking it out at the port. Then having to do this all again on the return trip.

I'd opt for driving. On our last cruise, we dropped off our luggage with the porter, parked and were in the terminal within about 15 minutes; when we disembarked, we found our luggage, sent DH up for the car, loaded up and were on our way home within 1/2 hour. It beats toting the luggage out of Penn Station or the Port Authority, into a cab, then unloading at the other end.

Since you are looking at Amtrak, how about MetroNorth instead??? A very cheap option that I use all the time. $24 round trip from Poughkeepsi to Grand Central. $4/day parking- free weekends. I pack light and take the 42 bus $2, then walk a few blocks to the ship. :)

I'd go with Amtrak. Once you've boarded the train you can have a beer, take a nap, relax a bit. Driving I95 down to New York City can make your tense, driving back home can undo much of your vacation quickly.

Oh, take a cab to the cruise ship. Taking a bus will get you close, but that's not a good way to relax either.

No brainer for me... Drive. It's an easy pier to get to, not a long walk from parking, a safe and secure lot... I left an expensive camera on my front seat when I last used the port and found it there when I returned, not that I recommend doing that :p

Busses, Trains, Taxis + Luggage and Kids = Headache

JMHO

Thanks for your opinions. I go back and forth every day. My current nightmare scenario is that I drive down and my (usually very reliable) car breaks down, or I get into an accident.

Ughhh. Still haven't decided, but if I'm going by public transport, I've got to buy the tickets soon.

Which NYC Pier?

Manhatten or Red Hook?

We just got back from the Crown Princess

We Took Amtrak to Penn Station

A great Experience

We Checked Luggage in without a Problem

Lots of Room, Very Peaceful and Stress Free

We took a Town Car from Penn to Red Hook ($52)

On the way back took the Princess Transfer ($19 PP)

We Preferred the Transfer

Also less Stress

Even with DH, traveling with our kids can be difficult. I would highly recommend Amtrak. We took our then 2yo and 7yo on Amtrak to NYC, cab over to the pier and had a blast! The kids loved the train. And, my 2yo could walk up and down the aisles to her heart's content (holding my hand, of course). We knew she wouldn't want to stay in her seat and that's why we chose the train. It couldn't have been easier. From Penn station, we hopped a cab over to the pier and were inside waiting to board in less than 20 minutes. We're doing it again next year, too. Can't wait!!!

Hi Rebecca and Others:

We are leaving on the NCL Spirit on Saturday. It is my wife, 2 kids (age 11 and 8), and I. We are coming down from Boston and were also trying to decide on whether to drive, take the bus, or train. We are also coming to NYC a day early....we decided to drive...we have a van and a DVD in the back for the kids. We hear that the parking at the pier is ok...

Good luck with your travel plans.

Thanks so much for the replies. I'm leaning toward driving in - I think my kids are probably too old to be enchanted by the train, unfortunately, and I just don't want to have to schlep my luggage all over the place. I like the thought of just being able to get in the car and drive home following the cruise, rather than getting a taxi to the train station, taking a train to Hartford, and then having my husband pick us up. My husband told me I could take our van (which is newer and more comfortable than my car), so I'm feeling less stressed about that. I keep reading how easy the NY pier is to find - hope I'm not the exception. Thanks again for the advice!

Archived