****Live from the Grand Princess****

T&J

Thanks for the info, Tony, re the knock-offs. I assume they are in the bazaar that is close to the ship? We are taking the tour of Ephesus, which ends up at the Bazaar for a "demonstration" by a carpet maker. We want to leave the group at that point and quickly buzz around the bazaar, as we won't have much time left (only at Kusadasi from 7 am to 1 pm). Will we be able to walk back to the ship no problem?

Also, would you advise how close the Istanbul bazaar is to the dock?

Thanks!

Ok we just came back onboard at 4:35pm and what an afternoon. Firstly, the wather here today was 104 F or 39 Celcius!...ouch that's hot. We did make our way ashore and immediately headed for the Grand Bazzar. BTW, you should know since my last visit here in August of 2004 they have redone the pier area completely with new shops, a Starbucks, Burger King, Body Shop etc type of stores and a fully revamped duty free area as well.

:cool: :eek: :cool:

OK, so what did you "BUY" in Starbucks?

Arlene

Thanks for the info' date=' Tony, re the knock-offs. I assume they are in the bazaar that is close to the ship? We are taking the tour of Ephesus, which ends up at the Bazaar for a "demonstration" by a carpet maker. We want to leave the group at that point and quickly buzz around the bazaar, as we won't have much time left (only at Kusadasi from 7 am to 1 pm). Will we be able to walk back to the ship no problem?

Also, would you advise how close the Istanbul bazaar is to the dock?

Thanks![/quote']

Yes the knock offs are in the Bazzar in Kusadasi. The Grand Bazzar in Istanbul is approx 10 minutes drive by taxi from teh pier or a 35 minute walk.

Tony

Last night we went for dinner and had the Italian menu which was very nice. They made our table Carpaccio as an appetizer with extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice...very tasty! I had teh baked eggplant, salad and the penne allabriatta and tiamisu and torrocino ice cream and coffee. Was an excellent meal and we all shared a bottle of "barllo" vintage 2000 very smooth with 14% alchool.

Afterwards Sharon and Javier went swimming and went to the "office". The "office" was good last night!:D

Javier and I stayed up until 12:30am and then went too bed like old farts only to get up very early this morning for Athens, Greece. We had all decided to meet at 7:00am in the horizon Court for breakfast.

We have just been tied along our berth here in Piraeus (port of Athens) and there are countless other ships here as well and ferries....a very busy port indeed. We are in Athens from 6:00am until 5:45pm this evening and set sail for Venice, Italy with a full day at sea tomorrow.

Some places of interest while here in Athens are:

The Acropolis "High City"

Acropolis Museum

Ancient Agora

Hadrian's Arch

The Hill of the Muses

The Natinal Archeological Museum

The Parthenon

The Plaka

Syntagma Square (Constitution Square)

Temple of Athena

Temple of Zeus

Theatre of Dionysus

Of course we will not be doing all of the above on this first stop of our trip but will try and get as many of these places in today. We are forecastinga high of 100F for Athens today as well. Anything we miss we will squeeze in on the next cruise after ths one. This is Sharon's and Javier's first time in Athens so they are anxious to see a lot.

More to follow later today from the Grand Princess in Athens, Greece.

Tony and Javier

NOTHING!...they didn't have the "selection" we like!:D

Tony and Javier

Maybe there'll be more to choose from in Athens. :p We just love Greece; can't wait to get back there next year. Eat a gyro or me down in the Plaka; but no lamb!

Arlene

Sorry for the late posting but the internet satelite has been down since 4:00pm our time today.

We had a great time Athens today. We took the train into the city. The train is approx. 10 blocks from the ships pier and the cost is 0.70 cents euro per person and the ride into the city takes approx. 15 to 20 minutes. you can either get off at Monastriaki or Omonia stops and take the subway to Akropoli stop which drops you off right in front of the Acropolis and beside the Plaka. Princess was charging well over $140.00 US today for the same tour more or less.

The cost to enter the Acropolis is 12.00 euros per person. The weather today was 110F on top of the Acropolis at 9:30am. I am glad that we made this our first stop of the day as it was already very crowded going up the Acropolis. The crowds up there were unbelievable with no crowd control whatsoever. Also the climb up there is very intensive in terms of wearing proper footwear and also being able to climb a farily long distance to reach the top. Please pack ample water supply as it is very hot going up.

We toured around teh Acropolis and you can not now going into the Acropolis. I remember 17 years ago with my Mom and Dad we were able to do so and go thru the monuments. The Acrolpolis museum next door is very interestings as well with artifacts and ancient sculptures etc. You can not pose with ANY of them or use a flash on your cameras as well.

We then walked down and spent over 2 hours additionally walking thru the Plaka (market area) during lunchtime. We ended up taking the train back at 3:30pm and being back on the ship at approx. 4:00pm this afternoon.

The QE2 was also in port today as well as the Costa Marina and a MSC ship as well. Very busy port as David did point out and security was very high as well entering and exiting the port which benefits all of us.

I ended up going to the gym after we returned and Javier and Sharon each took a nap. We went to Dinner tonight at 7:00pm and just finsihed at 9:30pm. It was the Chefs menu which features the King Crab legs, Chicken Kiev etc...

Javier and Sharon are taking one of the shows in the Vista Lounge at 10:30pm and I am off to the "office".

Tomorrow is a lazy day at sea...thank God! We have the most travelled luncheon to attend at 12 noon and also the culinary cooking demonstration at 10:30am and also at 5:15pm the Captains Cocktail Farewell Reception were I get presented my 3rd most travelled award.

More to follow later from the Grand Princess.

Tony and Javier

Maybe there'll be more to choose from in Athens. :p We just love Greece; can't wait to get back there next year. Eat a gyro or me down in the Plaka; but no lamb!

Arlene

The quality and selection in the Plaka was very good today when we were there!...didn't hit a Starbucks though:rolleyes:

Tony and Javier

Tony - what currency did you use in Turkey? I'm planning on most of my cash going from Canadian $$ to Euros (they only US $$$ I plan on taking is for my ship account) UNLESS you advise that purchases in Turkey were a better deal in US funds????? Then I'll switch some of my spending money from CAD to US.

Tony, sounds like you're making the most of each port stop.

We always seem to get 2nd or 3rd most traveled. Those that get 1st place have always sailed at least 1000 days. It'll be awhile before we catch up to that! Let us know if you get the crystal paperweight. It's small enough to stick in your luggage but it sure weighs a lot.

Wow... I thought it was hot when we were in Athens last June but 110F must have felt like an oven! And, the steps going up to the Acropolis are intensive... they were made for someone taller than me at 5'2". Once I started the climb, I didn't stop, didn't look back, just forged forward wanting to get it over as quickly as possible. Did you happen to sit down on the marble benches... that was the best, they were actually cold, even with the sun beating down.

Sandy

We've been to Turkey several times and in fact spent 3 weeks there a few years ago. We used only U.S. dollars, but exchanged some money for the smaller places that only wanted Turkish $$$. The markets (bazaar, etc), which is your major interest will probably take everyone's currency.

Arlene

We've been to Turkey several times and in fact spent 3 weeks there a few years ago. We used only U.S. dollars, but exchanged some money for the smaller places that only wanted Turkish $$$. The markets (bazaar, etc), which is your major interest will probably take everyone's currency.

Arlene

Thanks Arlene. I was just thinking more in terms of going from Canadian to US vs Canadian to Euro. If the cost of items is comparable (US vs Euro), then I'll just stick to my plan and take Euros as my "fun money". But I seem to recall a posting somewhere over the past few months on a thread that said US and Euros were "at par" in Turkey. If thats the case, then US it is for spending, as our exchange with US is better than with Euros. Clear as mud????

Tony, Please don't think that just because most of us don't post very often that your posts go unread. They are on my list of musts every day. I also look forward to you rejoining the Pacific Princess to Capetown ( a winery tour maybe?) and then the holidays on the Tahitian Princess for the b2b. (I'll being doing that one next year.) The "office" is also my favorite evening retreat. I have yet to attend a ship "show".

I hope you are writing a book!

Tony - what currency did you use in Turkey? I'm planning on most of my cash going from Canadian $$ to Euros (they only US $$$ I plan on taking is for my ship account) UNLESS you advise that purchases in Turkey were a better deal in US funds????? Then I'll switch some of my spending money from CAD to US.

They accept TYL (Turkish Lyra) or Euro's or US Dollars as well. I would comvert most of your money in Euros as that's what we have been spending the most on this trip or using my credit card as well.

Tony and Javier

Tony, sounds like you're making the most of each port stop.

We always seem to get 2nd or 3rd most traveled. Those that get 1st place have always sailed at least 1000 days. It'll be awhile before we catch up to that! Let us know if you get the crystal paperweight. It's small enough to stick in your luggage but it sure weighs a lot.

Wow... I thought it was hot when we were in Athens last June but 110F must have felt like an oven! And, the steps going up to the Acropolis are intensive... they were made for someone taller than me at 5'2". Once I started the climb, I didn't stop, didn't look back, just forged forward wanting to get it over as quickly as possible. Did you happen to sit down on the marble benches... that was the best, they were actually cold, even with the sun beating down.

Sandy

Sandy on my last cfruise in Asia I came as Most Travelled pax...that's happened once as you sy I am usually 2nd or 3rd most travelled as there are some people that have over 800 days at sea.

We did use the benches going up a couple of times as we entered from the South gate of the Acropolis which is right near the Subway line.

Tony and Javier

Tony, Please don't think that just because most of us don't post very often that your posts go unread. They are on my list of musts every day. I also look forward to you rejoining the Pacific Princess to Capetown ( a winery tour maybe?) and then the holidays on the Tahitian Princess for the b2b. (I'll being doing that one next year.) The "office" is also my favorite evening retreat. I have yet to attend a ship "show".

I hope you are writing a book!

Carolyn...the two b2b cruises I am doing on the Pacific Princess coming up in September (Bangkok to Cape Town and Cape Town to Sydney) are both amazing cruises and I will be making postings from those as well as they stop at some of the most exotic ports in the world.

Funny how you have yet to do a show like me regarding the "office"...I still haven't sone one yet on this cruise!

Tony and Javier

Good Morning from the Grand Princess....

Woke up pretty early this morning at 6:30am...of course couldn't sleep in on our only sea day left on this first cruise!

The ship is vry quiet this morning as I am sure evryone is sleeping in. The weather looks to be promising again today. It is currently very sunny outside and warm already at 8:10am!...another cooker today I am sure.

As to Venice, someone asked when we would be entering the Grand Canal and looks to be around 10:00am tomorrow local time for us. I hope teh weather cooperates as entering the Grand Canal has some amazing views of the Lido and St-Mark's Square etc. It currently forecasting scattered thundestorms for tomorrow in Venice.

Have lots planned for today for us as there is a cooking demonstration at 10:30am and we have our Most Travelled Luncheon today as well at twelve noon and Captain Farewell Cocktail Reception at 5:15pm. I also want to go to the "office" perhaps this afternoon and also head for the gym sometime today as well.

Also onboard today we have two Bingo sessions witha final Jackpot Bingo at 4:00pm in the Vista Lounge. Tonights line up is on the MUTS X-Men, also Paul Burton fans he is playing in the Promenade Lounge and also a new performance called Motor City (Motown Hits) in the Visat Lounge and Spotlight Cabaret Showtime in the Princess Theatre.

More to follow later today from the Grand Princess.

Tony and Javier

For anyone interested in Mykonos information and Delos....(Ruth) there is an agency that I discovered last time on Mykonos on this cruise.

Pier 1 email: www.pier1.gr

They offer a boat service from Mykonos to Delos for 10 euros roundtrip everyday except on Mondays.

F/B DELOS EXPRESS

APRIL 2006

MYKONOSDELOS

DELOSMYKONOS

EVERY DAY EXP MONDAY

10.00 € ROUND TRIP TICKET

Just came back from the Most Travelled Luncheon and we were all seated at Captain Nicolo's table. A very nice man and well spoken and a good sense of humour. The 1st and second most travelled pax's were also seated at the same table with us.

They served an amazing luncheon today one that I don't recall ever having. A nice seafood medley with Lobster, scallops and prawns and followed by three different choices of main courses whic I chose the Penne PAsta and Zucchini tomato sauce and Sharon had the Prawns and Javier had the Beef Wellington in Pesto Sauce and filo pastry. The dessert was also very inetresting with a sampler of 4 different mouses followed by coffee.

One couple Bobby and George will be coincidently on the Golden during the time Javier and I will be there for the Antartica Cruise on Jan 22/07 and also on the conitnuing cruise from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso....small world!

This afternoon I plan on going to the gym and having a cat nap for sure before going to the Captains Cocktail at 5:15pm this evening and also we are planning on having dinner at 7:00pm.

More to follow later this afternoon from the Grand Princess.

Tony and Javier

OK just came back from the Captain's Circle last cocktail party and received my thrid most travelled pax award and my bottle of "Korbel" a.ka. "Goat Urine" which we will be using to make mimosas sometime on thise cruise. The room was almost full at the first cocktail reception which was held in the Vista Lounge at 5:30pm. Always amazing to see people who try and gun down as many free drinks as they can in a half hour...actually kinda funny!:rolleyes:

We will be going to dinner in approx. 25 minutes time. Tonight is the last Formal Night on this cruise and we will be having the Lobster Tails for sure for dinner.

Will be hopefully going to the "office" later tonight as well.

More to follow later this evening from the Grand Princess.

Tony and Javier

Archived