Alaska Formal Nights

IM Alaska bound

Hi there -

I have read a couple of cruiser's reviews where they said they opted to go one of the restaurants on board rather than attend a formal night. Is that to avoid having to dress up for dinner?

Also, I was wondering if they serve lobster on either or both of the formal nights.

THANKS for any insight you can give!

:)

All dining rooms including the specialty restaurants adhere to the same evening dress code. If you do not want to dress up on formal night you can eat at the buffet or pizzeria. I do not know if the there is lobster in the buffet on the last formal night.

We just got back from the Sun. You are going to love Alaska!! We had less than perfect weather, with lots of overcast and drizzle, but hardly noticed. It just felt like "real" Alaskan weather!

I don't recall what nights we had the King Crab and Lobster. I am thinking the lobster was on the last sea day (second formal night) and the crab the night before, but I could be wrong. I know it wasn't the last day (Victoria) as we ate in the buffet that night, as its a late port call. We were fortunate the night they served the crab, we had a really good waiter (we were in anytime, not traditional) who ordered extra plates so everyone could have all the crab they wanted. If you really wanted to avoid dressing up, you could just hit the buffet on formal nights, but you would be missing a big part of the experience. I HATE to dress up, but for those two evenings it was worth the toruble.

MD

Im Alaska bound,

Glad I read your post. I had no idea about the King Crab and Lobster on formal nights. I was planning on just doing one of them, but now it will definitely be both!

When are you headed to Alaska? My husband and I are on the Dawn Princess on 8/19. Can't wait!!!

You could probably find out. The menus are posted outside the dining rooms fairly early in the day. I am sure any of the dining room staff could tell you, as they don't change from cruise to cruise. I actually had steak on the lobster night, as I love crab but am not a big lobster fan. BTW you get two lobster tails on lobster night. There are other main choices also, always three or four, as well as four items that are always available, including silver salmon and NY steak. Believe me, the problem is not that you don't get enough to eat, its that you get too much!!

MD

This is going to sound like a joke but it is not. Wear dining clothes with elastic. The average weight gain for a week's cruise is 7 pounds but even early in the week, you will be VERY full after your meals. People stay dressed to go to the shows after dinner. You will be miserable if you don't have a little "room to grow" in your clothes.

This is going to sound like a joke but it is not. Wear dining clothes with elastic. The average weight gain for a week's cruise is 7 pounds but even early in the week, you will be VERY full after your meals. People stay dressed to go to the shows after dinner. You will be miserable if you don't have a little "room to grow" in your clothes.

If 7 pound weight gain is average, someone must have gained 14 pounds then since I stayed even in my weight during my cruise last month. But I rarely used the elevators and walked as much as I could on the ship. One of my shore excursions was mostly a hike too. So it depends a lot on what you do. I saw some people jogging on the promenade deck early in the morning. That is not for me, but normal walking as much as possible was perfect for me.

You could probably find out. The menus are posted outside the dining rooms fairly early in the day. I am sure any of the dining room staff could tell you, as they don't change from cruise to cruise.

Did the Alaskan cruise with two gfs who both had dietary restrictions. We saw the next night's menu the evening before so they could both special order the food... if you really want to know you could easy ask. :D

On most Princess ships the lobster night is the second formal night. The day of the second formal night can vary dependent upon the cruise itinerary (not always on Day 6).

Lobster is very good and you should not miss it. However, you can always choose to eat in the buffet on formal night.

We were just recently on the Diamond in Alaska and I always get copies of the menus so that I can remember all that I ate!

I don't know if the menus are the same on all the Alaska ships or if they are even the same on different sailings, but you can see scans of our menus here:

http://hometown.aol.com/jwpianoboe/alaskamenus.html

The lobster was on the 2nd formal night (6th day)

Hopefully that'll help someone. :) Don't look if you want to be surprised!

-Justin

Archived