Full Suite Upgrade?

GuyInLA

Okay, before you read this, understand that even I roll my eyes at these "do you think I'll be upgraded" posts.

But I think this may be an unusual situation.

I'm booked in an AB (and "will accept comp upgrade"), I'm Elite... but here's the kicker. We're about three months before sailing, and there is not ONE full suite occupied. People always say they're the "first to go", but not on this sailing.

By three months ahead, shouldn't the ship be filling up?

And of course, the dreaded question... but play along people... what are my chances of a full suite? If I get one you can come over for a drink!

LOL Guy.......I think your chances are about as good as mine. :) We usually book a mini; sometimes just a balcony. Our Elite status has moved us from a balcony to a mini (twice), but never into a full suite. Both those cruises BTW were long ones. Princess already has us hooked, so why give us more? :D

Arlene (#24 with Princess coming up in December)

Well, there are two things I think you have against you and one will surprise you. Being Elite seems to get us less upgrades then first time cruisers. I know, SHOCK, but it really is true. They know they have us hooked and what they are trying to do is to get those that aren't yet.

On our cruise in 10 days on the CB there were over a dozen full suites left a couple of weeks ago. One person on our roll call has an AA mini booked and they have only a couple of cruises so far. They were upgraded to a full suite. We also have an AA booked, but no upgrade for us and we are also Elite.

Now, 10 days away from our cruise, or is it 12? LOL All of the suites have been totally gone for most of the week. They were all that was left open as all of the insides, outsides, balconys and minis were gone.

Your chance at being upgraded? I would say 1 in 10,000. Does it happen once in awhile? Of coarse it does. But not as often as you think.

Here's hoping you get lucky as what it takes is actually a LOT OF LUCK!

We got upgraded to a full suite on our second Princess cruise from

a BB category (non-mini suite)

Since then, we've scored my major upgrades. Apparently when we booked

cruise # 2, the TA put in a word with the Princess Rep when they went

to lunch. Perhaps that made the difference.

For our next cruise I have decided to "pay" for my upgrade

Yep, they know what they are doing. We have been upgraded once on our first Princess cruise and as soon as we could afford it, we began upgrading ourselves, for a price. LOL Once they 'give' you a suite/mini suite you are hooked forever.

If you want to know your chances - add up how many minisuites there are all together and throw in a small portion of balconies (as we have also been upgraded from a BA balcony). Now compare that to the amount of full suites and you can figure out the chances are pretty low.

If you post a message "how many people booked a minisuite and were not upgraded to a suite" you will get a lot more posts compared to "who booked a minisuite and did get upgraded to a suite".

In 9/05 we booked an AD mini-suite for the EBD price of a BA balcony cabin for our 9/9/06 Diamond Alaska Southbound cruise. In addition we were given a 4 Category Captains Circle upgrade to an AA. We requested a specific cabin so we could be on the Port Side and said we would accept an upgrade since the only place they could move us is to a Full Suite. As of today we still have the same cabin we booked D416 and the ship has been sold out for over a month. Therefore I assume we will not receive another upgrade since we already received a significant one at booking (BA to AA). However, given the price we paid I certainly will not complain.

Hello, Everyone!

Thought I'd post my experiences with upgrades.

I've cruised Princess 2 times - 3rd cruise is coming this September.

On my second cruise last year and, again, on my upcoming September cruise (both on CB), I was upgraded from a mini-suit (AA) to a full suite.

Now, I have to add that I'm single and my total fare for a mini-suite (AA) is MORE than the per person double occupancy fare for a full suite - so I guess they're still getting their $ outta me. In any case, I have no idea what logic they use for upgrades - but I gladly accept them every time!

Rick

Archived