Adults With Soda Stickers?

GuyInLA

Okay, am I the only person who gets a sideways glance from a bartender when I use my "soda card"? I'm almost considering not getting it on my next cruise because I felt like such an outcast.

I drink alcohol very little, but I'm fueled by diet coke (no nutritional info please)... and if I'm sitting in the Atrium Piano Bar, I want a diet coke.

Do I hide my sticker and get a-la-carte sodas... or should I just not get a drink card at all?

By the way... I remember when a week-long drink sticker was around 12 bucks.

Am I the only grown-up with a soda sticker?

Nope! I'm also guilty of enjoying my Diet Cokes. So, I buy a soda card. They really have gone up since the first time I bought one back in '02.

Drink Diet Coke to your health! :D

Okay, am I the only person who gets a sideways glance from a bartender when I use my "soda card"? I'm almost considering not getting it on my next cruise because I felt like such an outcast.

I drink alcohol very little, but I'm fueled by diet coke (no nutritional info please)... and if I'm sitting in the Atrium Piano Bar, I want a diet coke.

Do I hide my sticker and get a-la-carte sodas... or should I just not get a drink card at all?

By the way... I remember when a week-long drink sticker was around 12 bucks.

I've purchased the pop stickers on each of my previous cruises w/ no sideways looks from the bartenders. Tip though, if you're having lunch at the horizon court, go get your pop from the bars by the pools. They give you the large tumblers rather than the small glasses you get inside. So drink all the aspartame you want....and be merry.

Hi GuyInLA, you aren't by yourself. I can't drink (nor take any meds, mouthwash etc. with alcohol) so I always get the soda card and sometimes get ignored by the bar wait staff for a while. Some have even asked why I don't drink (none of their business) but I may give a brief answer and they're usually very accomodating after that, or I tell them I'm the designated "get them back to the right cabin and tuck them in" person.:) On HAL & Princess I haven't had any problem, NCL is the one that had a bit of an attitude a couple of times but they came round - probably when they figure out that while I may have a soda card, the people I sit around with run up pretty good bar tabs. If they were persistant in the lousy attitude, I think I would probaby make a friendly complaint to the head of the dept. I'm sure this is more reply then you wanted or needed so I will just go away now.

Happy sailings - JB

Guy, am sure you are not the only one. I don't drink alcohol so I always get a soda sticker. You are not an outcast and really shouldn't care if people look at you strange. At least by drinking soda you will always remember what you did the next morning.

A fellow soda drinker

Which I used for a Sprite whenever I needed to quench my thirst.

I was always miffed though that they put it into a plastic tumbler rather than a glass when we were inside at one of the bars.

Peter

I have had the same look on past cruises but really never bothered me. The bartenders usually work the same bar throughout the cruise and you see them all the time. I tip them a dollar every so often and they really appriciate it and become very friendly.

Give it a try

Jay

Not at all. I don't drink out of deference to my husband. I also don't drink soda but the only way to get soda water, AKA seltzer, it to buy the card. :)

ppw

My husband also always gets the soda sticker. He's not much of an alcohol drinker. And just FYI, if you bring along your own mug, they will be more than happy to fill it with soda and ice for you when you show your sticker. You don't need to use their puny glasses where the ice melts out on the deck in about 15 seconds! :) but you will need to take the mug to the bar yourself - circulating waiters won't usually take it to be filled for you.

Just got off the Coral. Got my diet coke without a problem every time!:)

if they didn't intend adults to use 'em, they wouldn't sell 'em to adults.. right?

I bought a soda sticker, and a bottle of gin.. and the bartenders kept me in diet coke all day without raising an eyebrow, and set me up with tonic (and limes :) ) for my pre-dinner balcony cocktails, too. :)

anno

Just got off the Sea Princess and had the soda card. I had no problems -- or "looks" -- asking for a diet Coke anywhere on the ship. As a matter of fact, we went to the Premier Cru bar after dinner on our way back to our cabin and the bartender there knew exactly what type of soda we wanted and the type of glass we wanted (medium-sized plastic) and had them ready before we could open our mouths. She was terrific! Best bartender I've ever seen on a Princess ship. Her name is Dominique and I understand she's being moved to the Wheelhouse bar for this cruise since she is so good and can handle the volume better.

You should have seen the look I got when I brought a bottle of diet grape soda to dinner the first night.

:D

I Drink AND get a soda sticker. Burning carbinaton in the morning is much better than coffee!

I'm with you molemaui. I want it all!:D

My fiance buys the soda card all the time, I think Diet Coke is running through his veins. We do sometimes notice a slightly longer wait when the bartender sees the sticker as opposed to the drinkers, but nothing that would actually bother us. He usually gulps one down and then takes on 'on the road'. We do make sure to tip the ones that don't hesitate. :)

Have never used the soda stickers. Do you just buy one and share with your spouse or do you have to get one each? How hard is it to share the sticker? I like my diet coke but I don't drink alot but my husband does.

Have never used the soda stickers. Do you just buy one and share with your spouse or do you have to get one each? How hard is it to share the sticker? I like my diet coke but I don't drink alot but my husband does.

Technically you need one each, though from what I have read on this board, sometimes the waiter might bring an extra one.

I calculated on my last Princess cruise that it takes drinking an average of 3 of these a day to make the soda card worth it, in case anyone is interested in value for your money.

Well, technically of course, you're not supposed to share. But I've never seen any bartender check the card closely. They usually don't touch it at all... just usually a "lemme get this transaction overwith quickly" type of reaction. Not rude, just quick and efficient, and onto a "real" drinker.

the five in my family mostly get soda stickers. i myself don't get one every cruise because i drink princess smoothies. it is orange and pineapple juice,ice strawberry stuff and cut up bananas. it is very good i love it. if you think you are the only person, your not.

{plus it is very helpful}

DAWN-02 KALEEN

SEA-03

ISLAND-04

ISLAND-05

SAPPHIRE-06

GRAND-07

Princess Smoothies? I was unaware of these wonderful drinks. Are they served at all the bars, on all ships? Karen

the five in my family mostly get soda stickers. i myself don't get one every cruise because i drink princess smoothies. it is orange and pineapple juice,ice strawberry stuff and cut up bananas. it is very good i love it. if you think you are the only person, your not.

{plus it is very helpful}

DAWN-02 KALEEN

SEA-03

ISLAND-04

ISLAND-05

SAPPHIRE-06

GRAND-07

Princess Smoothies? I was unaware of these wonderful drinks. Are they served at all the bars, on all ships? Karen

hey karen,

yes, they do serve them at all the bars. you really need to get one on your next cruise. just ask for a princess smoothie. i have enjoyed them on all my cruises.:)

Kaleen

Archived