Formal Night States No Short Sleeves

CrusinAgain

I was looking at the recent Western Caribbean Princess Patter and see for formal night that it states No short sleeves allowed in dining room.

It is not gender specific stating no short sleeves for gentlemen. Ladies generally wear sleeveless formal gowns and now this is a big no? This wasn't the policy on our cruise in April on the same ship.

Personally, I think they mean this for the dress code for men but it plainly says "No short sleeves". Don't you think this is a mistake on how it is written? But since it is written in the Patters, that would mean both genders would have to follow that rule. And seriously, why can't men wear short sleeves under their jackets.

Take a look:

http://www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com/patmonw1.html

Just a thought, but maybe they are trying to discourage men from appearing on formal night in more casual "polo" type short-sleeved shirts? Since they can't seem to enforce that everyone must wear a jacket, maybe they're trying to at least ensure that they will have on a long-sleeved shirt (and maybe even a tie) :eek:

JMHO.

I wore short sleeves to dinner on the Crown and no one asked one question. as long as you look ok they let you in. Even on the formal night i wore a tie but no jacket and they let me in. My friend had no tie but a jacket and they let him in. I like the description "smart casual". Its a very good way to explain how to dress. Its also easy to achieve. I do get the feeling there are some people on that ship did not step foiot in the dining room once. When my whole party wa going down the elevator on the formal night a guy in there with us looked at us like we were crazy. He looked at us as if we were in the wrong place. I will bet that guy never went to the dining room.

James, I think the original question was to do with short sleeves on Formal Night. The other, smart casual nights, then short sleeves are fine. My husband lives in Tommy Bahama on those nights! :)

It's probably a mistake. I'm sure it's meant to be "no shorts". Sometimes things don't translate too well.

Nope, this is the dress code as quoted in red on the link I posted. Shorts and T-shirts are NOT permitted in the dining room. No short sleeves allowed on formal night.

So my sparkly cocktail dressy blouse is short sleeve, but according to this it is not permitted. They don't make many cocktail gowns with long sleeves either.

James, I think the original question was to do with short sleeves on Formal Night. The other, smart casual nights, then short sleeves are fine. My husband lives in Tommy Bahama on those nights! :)
Mo i know that I wore a short sleeve shirt on the formal night as wel. I never wear long sleeve shirts not even in the winter but they let me in on the formal night with short sleeves a tie but no jacket. I don't think they are THAT strict about it.

No i know that I wore a short sleeve shirt on the formal night as wel. I never wear long sleeve shirts not even in the winter but they let me in on the formal night with short sleeves a tie but no jacket. I don't think they are THAT strict about it.

Women's gowns are often sleeveless, with spaghetti straps or strapless completely.

Among the women's formal outfits that can be rental onboard is a black velvet sleeveless blouse (I'd call it a "shell") and a long black velvet skirt.

The brochure statement must be in reference to men's formal evening attire. jmo

Chris

Among the women's formal outfits that can be rental onboard is a black velvet sleeveless blouse (I'd call it a "shell") and a long black velvet skirt.

The brochure statement must be in reference to men's formal evening attire. jmo

Chris

Well its does say "no short sleeves" and sleeveless is no sleeves at all so in essence the policy wouldn't be broken now would it. ;)

Really, this is going too far for them to even think about putting it in the Patters that way. If men want to wear short sleeves under their jackets what is wrong with that? If they want to wear a short sleeve dressy shirt with a tie, what is wrong with that? Someone blew it - no wonder people are reporting the dining rooms are becoming less full when the ships are full.

Not sure why those cruiselines want to put couple of formal nights out there.. most people I talked to prefer things like smart casual.. Well, I guess there are people who want to show off in their tux and evening gown too...:D

Another formal night attire thread. How much fun:D

If you want to be as technical as many formal night proponents usually are about Princess' formal night attire ('suggested' or otherwise), you would have to take what they say literally, and this especially so if it is repeated in several places on different ships. Hmm. Interesting. Expect a lively discussion to ensue.

Doesn’t this just add to the formal night confusion? The wording in the Caribbean Princess excerpt also says that the attire guidelines are from 5:30 throughout the evening (yes!:D ). I do find it interesting that people need to be told that short sleeves are not formal. :rolleyes:

Another formal night attire thread. How much fun:D

If you want to be as technical as many formal night proponents usually are about Princess' formal night attire ('suggested' or otherwise), you would have to take what they say literally, and this especially so if it is repeated in several places on different ships. Hmm. Interesting. Expect a lively discussion to ensue.

Well this isn't a jean topic - this is an entirely new clothing policy that I haven't seen on Princess suggested or requirements to enter the dining room. They are not saying (if you look at the links provided) that this is for gentlemen or ladies - they are saying No short sleeves period. Ladies evening dresses are mostly sleeveless and strapless. I'm sure there are many gentlemen that wear short sleeves under their jackets also.

I wore a sequined sleeveless blouse on formal night....It has to be referring to men's shirts....

I wore a sparkly short fancy sleeved cocktail blouse on formal night on the CP in April but I just looked at my April/May Patters and that wasn't against the dining room requirements then.

I can't imagine ladies trying to find long sleeves in a cocktail dress nor would I want to.

So if the requirement is for just men then they should say so since so many cruisers do try to abide by how it is stated as to what to wear and bring and always show others what the policy is. It really does add to the confusion. I know it shocked me when I first saw this new Patter.

Archived