Formal Night States No Short Sleeves

CrusinAgain

I am not an advocate for formal nights, in fact, I think the ships need to think about whether or not they should even continue. I really don't think there should be more than one per cruise.

However, if we are going to have formal nights, then those that choose to participate should dress in "formal" attire. IMHO, this does not include short sleeves or no jacket for men. At the very minimum it should be a suit and tie, but even then formal really implies a tuxedo.

For women, formal night should not be a casual pants outfit or a sundress, or even a casual dress like you would wear to the office. It is a more formal dress or "car wash" formal pants outfits. Spaghetti straps, sleeveless, etc. should be acceptable for women.

You always have the option of keeping your shorts and tshirts on and just eating in the buffet or with room service.

I don't like dressing up for formal nights...I wear a suit/tie every day and my idea of a good holiday is NO SUIT. Having said that, the first couple of cruises we went on I did pack a dark suit, dress shiirt, french cuffs etc ONLY to find so many in the dining room with sports jackets, open neck ****s, or NO jacket whatsoever. After four cruises, THAT finished it for me. We pack a lot less, avoid the dining room on formal night. More and more, I see less people dressing for formal nights...especially on the Alaska runs. The cruise lines do not enforce a dress code, so their directions are falling on deaf ears. Do one or the other, but don't confuse me!

The dress code on Princess, for the most part, is moot because ,for the most part, Princess doesn't think it is important enough to enforce. Thus, any changes to that dress are, for the most part, moot.

Sooooo...the next time you are on board, have a great cruise!!! :)

Ah, dress code has been debated out the wahzoo here (well on every cruise line's board actually - I know, I read 'em). The bottom line is that it doesn't appear to be enforced with great gusto.. so IF a lot of flaming starts up here.. the flames will make things go poof... debate it again and again and again but do it NICELY!!!!!

Interesting...

I think it applies to gentlemen not wearing jackets, implying that if you aren't in a jacket, please at least wear a long sleeve dress shirt. Odd to just throw it out there like that, though.

If it applies to ladies, well, while I'm normally a rule-follower, I may indeed be in violation when I don my little black cocktail dress that is (gasp) short sleeved. Perfectly appropriate according to the docs I have received.

Of course, I expect the dining room to be chilly and will likely be wrapped in a pashmina (sp?) so maybe no one will know my true sleevedness...

Ah, dress code has been debated out the wahzoo here (well on every cruise line's board actually - I know, I read 'em). The bottom line is that it doesn't appear to be enforced with great gusto.. so IF a lot of flaming starts up here.. the flames will make things go poof... debate it again and again and again but do it NICELY!!!!!

So true, so thanks in advance for the warning.

Still, I find it ironic that on the other threads related to dress code that have been debated out of the wahzoo (I agree), those in favor of formal nights and formalwear alway quote the rules, the 'suggested dress for the EVENING' (not just for dinner), etc., etc.

But then when a rule is quoted that they don't agree with, well....that is different. :D :D . Is it just for men? It can't be for me, a woman, who wears a short sleeved dress, can it? It can't be for me, a man, who wears a short sleeve shirt that is covered by a suitcoat, can it? :)

Actually so far everyone has been nice and perhaps wondering what Princess means by this. I think I'm at the point where I am just going to dress the way I normally dress and if my dressy glitzy short sleeved blouse or dress mortifies them then so be it. I'm not made out of money to go out and find a long sleeved gown for formal nite just for Princess. I am sure most of the ladies know how hard it is to find one with a little bit of sleeves since most are strapless or spaghetti straps or halter styles. This has got to be some type of error in their Patters since it doesn't even match the rest of their dress codes. Hopefully someone with clout will bring it to their attention.

Hopefully someone with clout will bring it to their attention.
The customer has the most clout of anyone…perhaps someone who is sailing Caribbean Princess that is confused by this should ask when they get on board (calling Princess shore-side office will probably not get any result as they’d not know what’s in the specific Patter on Caribbean Princess).

Maybe Princess was just assuming that everyone would know they were referring to men. They could just be saying that men should not be sitting in short sleeved shirts in the dining room during formal dinners. I don't think they would expect women to buy only gowns and cocktail dresses with long sleeves.

Maybe Princess was just assuming that everyone would know they were referring to men. They could just be saying that men should not be sitting in short sleeved shirts in the dining room during formal dinners. I don't think they would expect women to buy only gowns and cocktail dresses with long sleeves.

Thats exactly what Princess is assuming. They should know by now... NEVER assume. :)

[quote name='Rollexx']Thats exactly what Princess is assuming. They should know by now... NEVER assume. :)[/QUOTE]

Maybe its just supposed to be ... understood.

Anyway, as long as you (the guys) don’t take your jacket off or stretch your arms too much, who’s going to know. :D

Prarie Cruiser: What is a “car wash” formal pants outfit?

Archived