Free Booze

deborahjo

Just got an email from SIL. It is on MSN today. I will now start booking my cruises starting next year thru Regent Seven Seas (fka-Radisson Seven seas).

They will offer "free drinks at all bars and restaurants in its entire fleet." Yes this means free alcohol to drink.It says also "The only spirits will be available gratis." Anyone to join me.

I assure you there are FAR more and greater differences between Carnival and Regent than the "free booze". I also assure you that the difference in price is reflected in far more than just the "free booze".

You are paying more for the overall cruise experience, not just for the included beverages. Oh, also, FWI, Regent is not the only cruise line that is all-inclusive. It's actually more common than not among the luxury cruise lines to be all-inclusive.

Having taken many Regent (RSSC) cruises, and only one Carnival cruise, like LeeAnn, I can well assure you there is much more than the free drinks for the price! They are two different species of travel experiences. "You get way you pay for" rings true. Easy embarkation, no tips, no annoying announcements in the cabin, eat where and when you want, the best standard cabins at sea, no extra charges for ANYTHING like on the mega lines, I could go on and on. Just depends on what you want. It's hard to convince a mega-line cruiser the difference is worth it. They just have to try it and see if it is a good "fit". A short time ago, a cruiser on another forum did not like RSSC, because it was too quiet, and he longed for the constant activity that he was used to on Carnival! Most who go "upscale" on RSSC are sold, however. Different strokes for different folks, and if you find what suits you, go for it!

Editing to say that LeeAnne is correct. Among the "luxury" lines, Seabourne, Silversea, and soon Regent are all-inclusive. Crystal is the only "luxury" line to stick with extra charges for bar, no in-room bar set-up, and the traditional designated table for dinner. To each his own preference. I'm glad we have choices out there!

This really is a "you get what you pay for"

I know you look at the up front price it costs to cruise on Regent

but it is unbelievable how much better and different it is.

Yes in 2007 there will be no charge for drinks.

Thru 2006 you do get two bottles in your cabin as well as 6 beers in the frig. No charge.

2006 No charge for wine, beer, cocktails at dinner. (We always stick around

the table after dinner and have a couple more.).

Liquor or wine set up in cabin.

beer in frig (one time)

water & sodas in frig. (replaced daily) Included

Never a charge for soda & water. In fact they have buckets around for you to just grab the water when ever you wish.

NO TIPPING! That means no tipping at end of criuse or added to a drink

in the afternoon or evening in the bars.

Ship parties. No charge for drinks then.

No charge for specialty restaruants. (do need reservations just no extra charge)

Some cruises have a excursion included.

No charge for liquor anytime.

They will not have the in cabin bar set up unless you are in the Butler suites.

Soda and water in frig & available through out the ship all the time

Now here is the big thing.

Example NCL ship 50,000 tons 1,880 passengers.

RSSC Voyager / Mariner 50,000 tons 700 passengers.

No standing in lines. No fighting for deck chairs. Get the picture?

Go to dinner when you are ready. Not set times.

Oh yes. and on the Seven Seas Voyager / Mariner ALL the cabins

have balconies and about a 300 sq. ft. cabin on the lowest priced one.

Navigator and Paul Gauigun have some non balcony cabins.

It truly is a different experience than the mega lines.

A little more per day but darn well worth it.

03/22/80 Commodore MS Caribe (Eastern Caribbean)

02/15/03 Regent Seven Seas Paul Gauguin (Tahiti)

02/22/04 Norwegian Dream (ick) (Western Caribbean)

11/12/04 Regent Seven Seas Mariner (Mexican Riviera)

02/15/05 Regent Seven Seas Diamond (Southern Caribbean)

12/27/05 Regent Seven Seas Voyager (Panamma Canal)

01/09/07 Regent Seven Seas Mariner (Segment #1 Amazon River)

emmckeeve, you are absolutely correct! I kept trying to think which one I was missing! SeaDream is a wonderful luxury experience as well! My former SIL has been on twice and just loved it. Like Seabourne, they have no balcony cabins. That is the one and only reason I have not cruised those lines.

Where are you going for your first Regent cruise, and what ship?

jhp, we're sailing out of Venice to Athens on August 26 - the Navigator. I thought I would HATE not having a balcony, but the SeaDream ships are so small, you're never more than a few steps away from the outdoors (and a bar!). And you make friends very quickly and really don't want to hibernate in your room. The rooms are small and the bathrooms are smaller . . . but it doesn't matter. Most Seadreamers are active adults who like to be outdoors. But I can tell you, I am truly looking forward to the big staterooms on Regent and the BATH TUB, as well as the balcony :-) P.S. The Balinese sun beds on SeaDream are to die for.

Does anyone know if the Christmas cruises 2006 will include free alcohol or does the AI policy not take effect until Jan 1,07. Thanks.

The AI starts on the 2006 New Years Voyages in late December 2006..

Host Dan

The AI starts on the 2006 New Years Voyages in late December 2006..

Host Dan

Hey, I did not know that...I was wondering if the New Years cruise was going to be AI..that news just made my night, thanks!

People on Regent are not looking at cost. That is not what it is about.

I respectfully disagree.

I have two Regent Cruises booked and sailed with Radisson twice and loved it. We are not rich, so cost is always a consideration. However, having cruised on Carnival and all of the other mainstream lines, we will choose to find a cruise that is within our means on Regent.

Certain cruises on RSSC are a great value and we prefer one short cruise on a line that provides a sophisticated experience with wonderful food, service and cabins, no crass entertainment or loud announcements at dinner and no gold by the inch garage sales to mulitple cruises on lesser lines. The excellent accomodations and lack of children (on many sailings) is also a huge draw. The total disregard for proper dress and often proper behavior on many of the mainstream lines is a big turn off as well.

Carnival is to Regent what Holiday Inn is to Four Seasons, IME. If the drinks and the room were free on Carnival, it would not be enough to get me aboard.

Different strokes, yes, even for those of us who have budgets to consider.:D

Caviargal, I'm with you. There are lots of people on Regent cruises who obviously don't care much about cost, but then there are also lots of people like you and me. It's not really cost, but rather value. We work hard, and are willing to spend the money when we have it, but want a wonderful experience, and great value.

Having taken many Regent (RSSC) cruises, and only one Carnival cruise, like LeeAnn, I can well assure you there is much more than the free drinks for the price! They are two different species of travel experiences. "You get way you pay for" rings true. Easy embarkation, no tips, no annoying announcements in the cabin, eat where and when you want, the best standard cabins at sea, no extra charges for ANYTHING like on the mega lines, I could go on and on. Just depends on what you want. It's hard to convince a mega-line cruiser the difference is worth it. They just have to try it and see if it is a good "fit". A short time ago, a cruiser on another forum did not like RSSC, because it was too quiet, and he longed for the constant activity that he was used to on Carnival! Most who go "upscale" on RSSC are sold, however. Different strokes for different folks, and if you find what suits you, go for it!

Editing to say that LeeAnne is correct. Among the "luxury" lines,

Seabourne, Silversea, and soon Regent are all-inclusive. Crystal is the only "luxury" line to stick with extra charges for bar, no in-room bar set-up, and the traditional designated table for dinner. To each his own preference. I'm glad we have choices out there!

The only exception on Crystal is if you are on PH Deck. Booze is included in your suite. We will be on the Presidents Cruise Rome-Ft. Lauderdale and I believe all liquor will be included along with free shipping of luggage.

Just back from Regent Voyager Copenhagen-Stockholm. The present Regent alcohol policy distorts people's behavior, I think. Not that folks are drinking too much, but it happens that "no one" is in the lounges before dinner for a drink, because one has to pay for the drink there, and the wine is free at dinner. So even with live music and hot hors d'ouevers, we were the only couple in the lounge at 7:15. The entertainer commented that even "rich" folks don't want to pay $7 for a glass of wine if it is free somewhere else. On HAL, where each drink requires payment, the lounges are full before dinner. Of course, when all drinks are free on Regent, this distortion of typical behavior will end.

Just back from Regent Voyager Copenhagen-Stockholm. The present Regent alcohol policy distorts people's behavior, I think. Not that folks are drinking too much, but it happens that "no one" is in the lounges before dinner for a drink, because one has to pay for the drink there, and the wine is free at dinner. So even with live music and hot hors d'ouevers, we were the only couple in the lounge at 7:15. The entertainer commented that even "rich" folks don't want to pay $7 for a glass of wine if it is free somewhere else. On HAL, where each drink requires payment, the lounges are full before dinner. Of course, when all drinks are free on Regent, this distortion of typical behavior will end.

True. Plus of course, you can have a gin & tonic in your suite courtesy of your in-room set-up (which is what I prefer, anyway):)

Archived