Xray machines VS. Disposable cameras

pampaul

Only been through an xray machine once (that was last year at the airport--my first plane ride) Anywho, I'm assuming there is an xray machine at the port in NY before getting on the ship. I have 2 digital cameras and 4 waterproof disposable cameras. Will the xray machine have any kind of impact on these cameras? Dumb question I know, but I've heard about having an impact on film, so I'm just making sure before we head out next weekend. Thanks I was hoping to have these cameras on my carry on bag. What's the chances of that? Or is this something that has to be in the other bags?

Only been through an xray machine once (that was last year at the airport--my first plane ride) Anywho, I'm assuming there is an xray machine at the port in NY before getting on the ship. I have 2 digital cameras and 4 waterproof disposable cameras. Will the xray machine have any kind of impact on these cameras? Dumb question I know, but I've heard about having an impact on film, so I'm just making sure before we head out next weekend. Thanks I was hoping to have these cameras on my carry on bag. What's the chances of that? Or is this something that has to be in the other bags?

Over the years I have had some film ruined but most times it is ok. The checked in luggage goes through Xrays also. They used to sell lead lined bags to put the cameras in if you think there may be a problem...They'll ask you to open them up thoughif they are still available..especially in these troubled times

Xrays will not do any harm to a digital camera. If the disposable cameras have film they can be affected by the xray at the port. They say they will not but if the camera goes thru a lot of times as you take them on an off the ship a lot of times it can. I always ask them to check it by hand if they will to minimize the damage to the film.:)

The machines they use to xray right as you board the ship are fine for film, but the big machines they use at the airport and in the hull of the ship to scan your big cases will ruin all speeds of film. Best to keep those with you in your carry on.

The machines they use to xray right as you board the ship are fine for film, but the big machines they use at the airport and in the hull of the ship to scan your big cases will ruin all speeds of film. Best to keep those with you in your carry on.

Like Bill, I ask the guys at the x-ray machines (airports as well as cruise ships) to hand-check my cameras. I have everything (digital, 35mm, camcorder, film, disposables, etc.) in the large ziplok bags. Nobody has ever seemed to mind checking them this way. There are usually signs indicating any film 800 speed should not be put thru x-ray.

I had some very special photos completely ruined by going through the xray machine at the airport. Went to Miami in April to see the Change in Command for my son's Coast Guard unit and it was first time since he got his wings years ago that I got to have pictures taken of us together with him in his Dress Whites . . . all ruined! Do not let your film go through those darn xray machines at the airport!!!!!!

I have 2 digital cameras and 4 waterproof disposable cameras. Will the xray machine have any kind of impact on these cameras?

Most X-Ray machines are fine for the outdoor type of disposable camera. These are usually loaded with ISO 400 speed film.

The underwater disposables are not safe for X-Ray. These are most often loaded with ISO 800 film, and the machine fogs the film almost every time.

I'd open the camera boxes, remove the cameras from the foil package and then hand them to the TSA person or cruise terminal security staff and politely request a physical inspection.

2 digitals for a cruise, I thought that was just me... I carry a digital SLR, a digital point and shoot and a digital waterproof on every cruise we take. 4000 images later we have some tremendous memories set to music and burned to DVD.

I always hand my cameras to the guys before they go through the x-rays. If they are in a package they'll take them out. They don't mind hand checking them. It's not worth the chance that your film could be wrecked.

I like Macdays1 have never had any film ruined by the x-ray machines. Be it my Canon or disposable cameras. I haven't taken my Kodak digital on any trips yet, so can't say what might happen to that. I don't buy high speed film, I think 200 is what I use most of the time. But with the changes in Security measures, not sure they will let us hand carry cameras on the airplane anyway. I plan to put mine in my checked luggage for 9/24 flight to NYC. I certainly don't want to have to do any luggage switching around at the airport. Once I'm packed, I'm hoping to stay that way, so will try to be very careful what is in my carry-on. It kind of defeats the purpose of a carry-on if your checked luggage gets lost, but guess they have stores in NYC to purchase toothpaste, deodorant, etc. if the luggage is lost.:eek:

I like Macdays1 have never had any film ruined by the x-ray machines. Be it my Canon or disposable cameras. I haven't taken my Kodak digital on any trips yet, so can't say what might happen to that. I don't buy high speed film, I think 200 is what I use most of the time. But with the changes in Security measures, not sure they will let us hand carry cameras on the airplane anyway. I plan to put mine in my checked luggage for 9/24 flight to NYC. I certainly don't want to have to do any luggage switching around at the airport. Once I'm packed, I'm hoping to stay that way, so will try to be very careful what is in my carry-on. It kind of defeats the purpose of a carry-on if your checked luggage gets lost, but guess they have stores in NYC to purchase toothpaste, deodorant, etc. if the luggage is lost.:eek:

First, your digital camera will NOT be damaged by x-rays. Ever.

Do not check cameras. You're not supposed to lock luggage, and if you do, it's liable to be opened or cut. Why tempt anyone to steal your camera when there's no reason you can't carry it on. Your camera has nothing to do with the current ban on liquids from carry-ons.

I just read the rules on Continental's site and so far there is no ban in the US for electronics. If they do ban them, I don't know what we will do with our camera, ipod, etc. We will probably be fortunate to see them at the other end if packed in checked luggage.

I had some very special photos completely ruined by going through the xray machine at the airport. Went to Miami in April to see the Change in Command for my son's Coast Guard unit and it was first time since he got his wings years ago that I got to have pictures taken of us together with him in his Dress Whites . . . all ruined! Do not let your film go through those darn xray machines at the airport!!!!!!

I use film and digital. I feel for you that your pics were ruined ... those were moments you can never re-live.

SUGGESTION: When I travel/cruise now and the film pics are really important to me (most are to us), then I have the film developed before returning home.

This has worked out well for me to have the photo center develop pics when you return from excursions/ports. It certainly costs a bit more than Walgreen's, but you have your pictures in hand!

When we cruised Alaska, I took my film to a photo store in Juneau and had all my film developed in an hour and returned to the ship with photos -- I did not want to take any chances of losing the great shots I had taken.

Do NOT put your film and/or cameras in your checked luggage ever!

The X-ray machines used for checked luggage give a much bigger dose than the ones used for carry-ons. Also, X-rays are cumulative so each dose piles up on the last. About five or six times through the carry-on X-ray and that would be a fatal dose on your camera, and on any film you then put into it.

All of this is on the TSA site. Go there and print out the proper page and keep it with you.

I've had security on a ship insist that their machine will not ruin cameras or film. I tell them that this will be the 5th or 6th time they have said that and it is not safe. They keep insisting, then I get out the printed page from TSA. After they read it, I ask, "Will you give me a letter stating this is still safe?" They always refuse, and always then hand-check my cameras.

I've had the same take place at airports. I always go very early so they can not tell me I am holding up the line. More often than not, they refuse to do a hand search. I then get out the printed paper from THEIR OWN TSA and have had them still refuse. I then get very loud. I've had supervisors appear out of nowhere, and one time even had a policeman tell me they knew what they were doing. I'd show the printed page and things calmed down and a hand search was done.

I also have and use a lead-lined bag for my film. Yes, it'll cause the person scanning your bag to have you open it ('cause they can't see into it) but you then will get a hand search.

X-ray will not hurt digital media, only film.

The best advice appeared a few posts above this. If you take some important pictures you can't afford to lose, have them developed before you come back home. You can have it done on the ship or at a port. Once the film is developed, ther is no more danger.

Most X-Ray machines are fine for the outdoor type of disposable camera. These are usually loaded with ISO 400 speed film.

The underwater disposables are not safe for X-Ray. These are most often loaded with ISO 800 film, and the machine fogs the film almost every time.

I'd open the camera boxes, remove the cameras from the foil package and then hand them to the TSA person or cruise terminal security staff and politely request a physical inspection.

2 digitals for a cruise, I thought that was just me... I carry a digital SLR, a digital point and shoot and a digital waterproof on every cruise we take. 4000 images later we have some tremendous memories set to music and burned to DVD.

You probably will need to open the packaging, but I would wait until the TSA asks you to - sometimes they just swab the inside packaging. I have yet to find a ship security guy who had the correct equipment to swab the camera . . . there is little metal if it is not a flash disposable (no battery), so I just keep it in my pocket.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to follow up on this thread, the TSA has moved their links around a bit. Here is the latest location for the page several have mentioned here:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1035.shtm

And here is another interesting one, mostly the same info, but they also talk about carrying extra photographic equipment:

http://www.tsa.gov/summer/film.htm

My motto on this has always been "If the government tells you that they will damage your film, you should probably believe them." :eek:

Theron

Archived